Vinton Gray Cerf; (born June 23, 1943) (last name pronounced just like the English word "surf") is an American computer scientist who is commonly referred to as one of the "founding fathers of the Internet" for his key technical and managerial role, together with Bob Kahn, in the creation of the Internet and the TCP/IP protocols which it uses. He was also a co-founder (in 1992) of the Internet Society (ISOC), which is intended to both promote the views of ordinary users of the Internet, and also serve as an umbrella body for the technical groups developing the Internet (such as the Internet Engineering Task Force)

Mr. Cerf obviously is a brilliant computer scientist and yet was equally concerned about the views of the ordinary users of the internet.

"The internet was designed with no gatekeepers over content or service"

Being a new participant in this on-line neighborhood http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/neighborhood, I am curious to know who these perceived "gatekeepers" were and if his prolific statement has evolved into what he originally intended for his collaboration?

I am curious to know who these perceived "gatekeepers" were and if his prolific statement has evolved into what he originally intended for his collaboration?

As I understand it the 'net neutrality' issue relates to (fiscal) gatekeepers. If you don't have the dough, you won't get the show, moderating content based on the depth of your pocket.

No taxes for internet sales are an example of the government looking the other way, for now. This is also likely to change.

Blogs are also on the hit list.... government censorship is present in other countries. If anyone thinks it can't happen in the US (or everywhere) isn't paying much attention. The Bush Adminstration has gutted the protections of the US Constitution and once that fails other freedoms will follow.

Seems like market forces rule the internet about now demonstrated in the fact the domain /.sex was SADLY not adopted. Just imagine how much safer your kids surf would be if we could block all sex content to adults ?

Nikki

Censorship ? - don't think that's the answer AlaskaGirl

If you are referring to the .sex thing I look at it like partitioning, not censoring. However, we are allowed to censure children, but we can't. I get horrified by what pops up on the computer or gets into the kids email.

I'm quite the liberal, heck even smoking weed is legal in Alaska and I support that. Just seems like I should be able to easily block if I choose to.

don't all modern day operating systems have password controlled content filters ?

Edited by BobC