$ per square meter around San Ramon

I am about to buy a 12000 sq meter property outside of San Ramon. I will pay $4.50 per square meter for a property with a river bordering one side and a stream bordering another. The land is accessible to a well paved public road by a 100 meter long gravel road in good condition. There is at least enough leveled land to build several homes and this is according to a signed declaration by an engineer.electricity and water are already available. The rest of the property is a gentle slope to a river and there are two waterfalls which can be accessed and viewed from the property, one of them is about 10 meters high. A small pueblo is about a 5 minute drive away.

I spent several months pouring over real estate ads and articles before going down. I did not take the time to look at more than half a dozen properties in the area once I got there. I settled on this land because some of the properties I was shown were just too steep for my liking. Ticos value land which is farmable. Americans pay for the view. I chose something in between those two extremes..The owner is a charismatic friendly individual who I trust and that is based on what I consider pretty solid checks. My question is, what are the "going rate" permaters per square meter for this sized property in this area?

Edited by toucansam

• 5 weeks later...

The price sounds very reasonable, I was just in that area looking at the Iguana Land Company developments and scouting the area as it is going to be home to a new office for our group. Jim and Ben are charging around $10 / m2 for 5000 - 7000 m2 lots. The lots are inside a development and with an ocean view so you can figure that they would be worth more than what you are describing. Which means that it sounds like you are getting a pretty good deal for what you describe.

I would suggest visiting the property again on different days of the week and different times of day in order to confirm your first impressions.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
'I would suggest visiting the property again on different days of the week and different times of day in order to confirm your first impressions.' Very delicately answered!

It tends to be very overcast in that area, so it is a very good idea to return on several occasions.

I bought the property and went back and revisited 2 months later. I love the place. The 10 meter high waterfall is magnificent although a bit tiring to reach. The overcast has it's good points, though. I love the mist rising from the river below in the mornings. It is quite beautiful. I also got to meet the locals and hired one (with a contract) to take care of the property for me in my abscence.

How, when and where does one pays the taxes?

I bought the property and went back and revisited 2 months later. I love the place. The 10 meter high waterfall is magnificent although a bit tiring to reach. The overcast has it's good points, though. I love the mist rising from the river below in the mornings. It is quite beautiful. I also got to meet the locals and hired one (with a contract) to take care of the property for me in my abscence.

How, when and where does one pays the taxes?

Hi Toucansam and All,

I'm interested in any information anyone from this forum could give me regarding this area. I like the idea of it's location, halfway between SJ and the beach, up in the the mountains (cooler and beautiful views), not in town but not that far away. I've seen a couple of places advertized that have views of the Gulf of Nicoya as well. Any input from anyone with knowledge of that area would be appreciated. We plan on moving mid to later 2007 and am trying to narrow down areas to concentrate on.

Thanks much,

Papagayo

Hi Toucansam and All,

I'm interested in any information anyone from this forum could give me regarding this area. I like the idea of it's location, halfway between SJ and the beach, up in the the mountains (cooler and beautiful views), not in town but not that far away. I've seen a couple of places advertized that have views of the Gulf of Nicoya as well. Any input from anyone with knowledge of that area would be appreciated. We plan on moving mid to later 2007 and am trying to narrow down areas to concentrate on.

Thanks much,

Papagayo

After visiting a few of the usual tourist spots (Arenal and Quepos), I decided that the cooler and cleaner mountain environment of the San Ramon area was best for me. I spent 5 days in San Ramon on my 2nd trip and found the small city to be friendly, easy going and just downright likeable as well as being conveniently located (45 minutes to San Jose airport). San Ramon has a new, attractive modern shopping mall right at the entrance from the Panamericana highway as well as just about any other kind of store you might want.

Most of the properties I looked at were between 1 and 3 acres and all had great views. But the drawback was that some of the building sites were somewhat precarious. They were small flat areas on top of steep slopes, sometimes reachable only by a 4x4 on a dirt road. Others had neighbors too close for a country property. As I said, the views were spectacular, but driving to them made me a bit nervous. The property I settled on was the only one I saw that had great acccess and a sizeable flat building site.

The surrounding towns are nice. Palmares in particular has a peaceful and attractive town center in front of the church. The area is intensely farmed on the mountainsides. In fact, my property is between two farms.

I am told some flooding does occur in some areas but the rainfall is not as much as many other areas. The bottom line is that the area is not a major tourist attraction and so is not a major petty theft crime area either....yet. There are some americans and canadians who have built some nice homes in the surrounding mountains, although the expat population there doesn't seem as much as the Grecia area...yet.

After visiting a few of the usual tourist spots (Arenal and Quepos), I decided that the cooler and cleaner mountain environment of the San Ramon area was best for me. I spent 5 days in San Ramon on my 2nd trip and found the small city to be friendly, easy going and just downright likeable as well as being conveniently located (45 minutes to San Jose airport). San Ramon has a new, attractive modern shopping mall right at the entrance from the Panamericana highway as well as just about any other kind of store you might want.

Most of the properties I looked at were between 1 and 3 acres and all had great views. But the drawback was that some of the building sites were somewhat precarious. They were small flat areas on top of steep slopes, sometimes reachable only by a 4x4 on a dirt road. Others had neighbors too close for a country property. As I said, the views were spectacular, but driving to them made me a bit nervous. The property I settled on was the only one I saw that had great acccess and a sizeable flat building site.

The surrounding towns are nice. Palmares in particular has a peaceful and attractive town center in front of the church. The area is intensely farmed on the mountainsides. In fact, my property is between two farms.

I am told some flooding does occur in some areas but the rainfall is not as much as many other areas. The bottom line is that the area is not a major tourist attraction and so is not a major petty theft crime area either....yet. There are some americans and canadians who have built some nice homes in the surrounding mountains, although the expat population there doesn't seem as much as the Grecia area...yet.

Hi Toucansam,

Thanks for the information. It's good to know about the mall and the low petty theft rate is another reason for us looking into this type of area.

We plan on picking up a small 4X4 anyway and the 1-3 acre lot size is exactly what we had in mind. Probably will look for a pre-existing house as opposed to building one though. Do you know of any rentals available in the area? It would be nice to live in the area for a while to see how well we like it before buying (also be able to really search the area for a good deal).

Papagayo

Hi Toucansam,

Thanks for the information. It's good to know about the mall and the low petty theft rate is another reason for us looking into this type of area.

We plan on picking up a small 4X4 anyway and the 1-3 acre lot size is exactly what we had in mind. Probably will look for a pre-existing house as opposed to building one though. Do you know of any rentals available in the area? It would be nice to live in the area for a while to see how well we like it before buying (also be able to really search the area for a good deal).

Papagayo

I am a newbie to this business of moving to Costa Rica. I currently live in Miami and plan on visiting Costa Rica multiple times every year until I retire and build there (in about 5 years). I am committed to moving to and living in the San Ramon area as I have already bougfht land there and made this commitment based on a few visits. It is impossible to predict how much or even IF land prices will go up over the next several years. I bought this year because I truly doubt prices will go down and are more likely to rise. That is just my style of doing things but renting for a while first sounds like an excellent idea. Rentals should be easy to find.

Much can happen in the next 5 years. There is a commitment to building an improved road between San Jose and San Ramon and between Naranjo and Quesada to the north. This would cut off a lot of travel time. I am also crossing my fingers that Costa Rica will sign up to the CAFTA. This might permit Americans to bring a vehicle down without paying the high taxes currently enforced. Whatever happens in the ensuing years, I feel pretty confident that this part of the Central valley will remain a great area in which to live.

Hola,

My husband and I just got back from San Ramon a few weeks ago. We spent about 17 days there to look for property. We loved the area and the town. We did put a down payment on some property with Ben from Iguanaland. He has lived in the area for 15 years and knows his way around. He can surely help you with a purchase and perhaps even info on rentals. There are also several tours that stop in that area. George Lundquists tour has alot of rave reviews which is geared for Pensionada's and there is also a new one for younger folks, which is Boomers in Costa Rica. After doing a lot of research, I found that the prices in that area are still very resonable, compared to the beach area's, and the people are very helpful and friendly. Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Hi dhsbooker,

Thanks for your input. We have been to the ARCR seminar and taken Chris Howard's San Jose and surrounding area tour which got us to Atenas and Grecia but not San Ramon. We also took a country wide tour that went thru the SR area but did not stop there. Might check out George Lundquist's also.

Did you buy just property to build on or one with a house already on it?

Papagayo