Realtor Recommendations - Tico Property San Jose?

kenn

I'm heading to CR next week for another extended stay and might this time want to look half seriously at houses or condos for sale. Can anyone recommend a realtor I might contact to get leads and maybe even show me some property in or near San Jose? Before I get flooded with responses, let me say that I have close to zero interest in the Gringo houses, neighborhoods, or prices. I've seen some of them and guess if I were a Californian sitting on oddles of equity I might consider one, but I'm not. Instead I'm looking for more Tico type housing, albeit maybe toward the upper half of that. English speaking would be a plus, but I can hobble through almost enough Spanish to get by one-on-one and honesty, integrity, etc. are far more important. Or is this the kind of thing that really has to be done via the classifieds in La Nacion, bulletin boards, and walking the neighborhoods? Thanks.

For a great realty experience, call on Ivo Henfling of Go Dutch realty- great guy, good team of realtors and lots of properties in all neighborhoods. we've been dealing with him for months and he's been a gem to work with.

website is-www.godutchrealty.com, www.american-european.net

phone- 506 289 5125

• 2 weeks later...
Are the guys legitimate?

I'm not sure what you mean by legitimate :huh:

They sell very nice properties in the mountains around Grecia and Poas. The prices are good: we paid 35000 for 3.5 acres of the land with nice view, river, waterfall, trees, birds....and privacy. Everything is ok with the property and we have started building a house with Rhonda's help. We are actualy moving at the end of July.

Randy is a very honest guy, he is not in this busines to make millions (maybe colones). Our experience with them is GREAT!

I'm not sure what you mean by legitimate :huh:

They sell very nice properties in the mountains around Grecia and Poas. The prices are good: we paid 35000 for 3.5 acres of the land with nice view, river, waterfall, trees, birds....and privacy. Everything is ok with the property and we have started building a house with Rhonda's help. We are actualy moving at the end of July.

Randy is a very honest guy, he is not in this busines to make millions (maybe colones). Our experience with them is GREAT!

Great to hear. I will probably look into some of their property as well. What I meant by legitimate was more so on the actual property - ie properly titled, escritura, castrato etc.. I did not want my comment to sound inappropriate or insulting but more of general terminology. Thanks

I have lived in CR for the last seven months and have met a lot of Ticos who know where good property is for a good price. I also bought property here and found out the hard way that there is much you need to consider before buying property that others do not tell you and you find out all the problems when you start building. For instance the property is not exactly what was showed to you, the cost of preparing the road and putting in electrical and water as well as a number of other things that come up that cost a lot of money that you were never told about. Yes, I was not as dilegent as I should have been, and trusting in others didn't help.

The bottom line is now that I have had some very unpleasant experiences and know the rops much better, I can be of great help to new folks that want to buy property and live here. I do not run a real estate company or have a web site, but I do have many Tico friends and know the area much better. I am only familiar with the central vallery area, if that is where you choose to live.

If you want to contact me, it is best that you reply to this post and give me your email address and I will contact you directly.

I was in business in the states for many years and always dealt with people with integrity and honesty. The only way to do business as far as i am concerned.

I have lived in CR for the last seven months and have met a lot of Ticos who know where good property is for a good price. I also bought property here and found out the hard way that there is much you need to consider before buying property that others do not tell you and you find out all the problems when you start building. For instance the property is not exactly what was showed to you, the cost of preparing the road and putting in electrical and water as well as a number of other things that come up that cost a lot of money that you were never told about. Yes, I was not as dilegent as I should have been, and trusting in others didn't help.

The bottom line is now that I have had some very unpleasant experiences and know the rops much better, I can be of great help to new folks that want to buy property and live here. I do not run a real estate company or have a web site, but I do have many Tico friends and know the area much better. I am only familiar with the central vallery area, if that is where you choose to live.

If you want to contact me, it is best that you reply to this post and give me your email address and I will contact you directly.

I was in business in the states for many years and always dealt with people with integrity and honesty. The only way to do business as far as i am concerned.

Scorp,

Thanks. I would like to talk to you to see what you can do for me and see what my options are. My email is jbarrettcr@gmail.com

Actually Scorp if at all possible I would like to talk with you. I am moving down July 26. Need to find something to rent first but will be looking at income property- apt complex(small) or business. Not a restaurant, though. Thanks, Laurensipone@gmail.com

Its very interesting on how everyone has their own view point and recomondations. My wife and her family are ticos and we have a house in Tres Rios. I hate to say it but if you really want a Tico property in a Tico residence the homes that are listed in gringo web sites not the homes you are looking for. In my mothers neighbor hood most gringos would have negative responce or because these homes are not over 100,000. would not bring in commissions that the realtors would want. Also the majority of Ticos don't use realtors its mostly word of mouth or small ads.

Tico new construction is all over the place! A couple of blocks from my mother in-laws home there are tico homes being built for less than $80,000 that I would move into. These homes have 2 or 3 bedrooms with 2 car patio and some with 2 bathrooms. How ever don't think they will have hot water in the kitchen or hot water heaters this is not normal in tico construction.

My brother in-laws live in newer housing development in Cartago they have two story homes and really nice construction. This is a gated community and still has a lot of lots available. The homes are still less than $80,000.00

So before you start working with a realtor ask them if they have tico developments with less than 1% gringos and this is where you will find the good values. No matter what you do have a good realtor and lawyer look over everything. :)

Hi Scorp, Have been researching buying property in the Central valley with my boyfriend since last year. We visited and looked at some areas in December. We want to find a moderate property around the central valley (Atenas, Grecia) we haven't explored Ciudiad colon yet. We hope to set up another trip by year end and would like to learn as much about the areas and what pitfalls you ran across as possible. Appreciate you insight. knear1@comcast.net is my email. Thanks

• 1 month later...

hi, i read your notes. i was in costa rica with an agent. found a house i love and ready to purchase. my question is : do you know any good and honest bilingual attorney witha reasonable fee that i can hire . thanks bobo.my email address is top5454@msn.com.