• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
Sign in to follow this  
Tina

living in CR

Tina    0

Is it reasonable to consider living in CR year round? Is the rain, primarily humidity, really as bad as I think it is? I live in the Pacific Northwest and I am pretty used to rainy weather but am concerned by high humidity. Would also want to rent vs. buy. Is that reasonable also?

Is it reasonable to consider living in CR year round? Is the rain, primarily humidity, really as bad as I think it is? I live in the Pacific Northwest and I am pretty used to rainy weather but am concerned by high humidity. Would also want to rent vs. buy. Is that reasonable also?

Hello, Tina;

It is reasonable to live in Costa Rica any time of the year. If you choose the area of the rain or cloud forest, naturally there will be more rain than in other places; otherwise it would not support the flora and fauna for which it is famous. HOWEVER, if you choose an area with a more moderate climate, it would be a rare day that you would not get 4 - 6 hours of sunshine, even in the rainy season. Mind you, the sunshine would be from sunrise to late morning, followed by rainy periods in the afternoon. The high humidity is alleviated by daily periods of sunny weather and by the temperature which is higher than that to which you are accustomed. However, if you do not air out your closets, mold may form on your shoes. On the other hand, laundry can be air dried almost every day in the morning sun. The children's white school uniforms can attest to this as, locally, dryers are almost non-existant.

There are many rooms, apart-hotels, condominiums and houses for rent, both in the central vally and near the beaches. House sitting for 'snow-birds' is also an option which would lower the cost.

This is a good site to find people willing to guide you in your search. Also try www.TheRealCostaRica.com

Good Luck,

AnneLise

newman    0

Smart move wanting to rent rather than buy. Spend at least 5 yrears here before even considering buying anything! that way you-ll be exposed to all the ins and outs!! People come here and spend thousands of dollars on property that isnt worth it. It is much, much easier to buy here than to SELL!

Edited by TicoGrande

Dianne    0

Hi Tina,

I have lived in the Pacific Northwest and have lived here 15 years.

Yes, humidity has to be dealt with, as it does in your area, but it is not a real problem.

I live in the mountains at 5,000 feet, the rain is a bit more than in the valleys.

Here we have a fireplace which does a great job of lowering the humidity.

We only use it a couple of weeks during the year, usually in October.

YEs, shoes can get moldy, and my trusty housekeeper shines them up quickly.

The difference is the temperature, you don't feel cold,

it's wet but it's 68 degrees.

And if you want it, i have a dehumidifier i never use,

I will give it to you.

I was here several years before owning a home,

renting is smarter until you really know where you want to be

and what sort of place meets your needs.

I am now happy with 2 acres in a very rural place

but only 15 minutes from the Auto Mercado.

cheers,

Dianne

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this