Steve

Construction Costs

Hi,

remember seeing some info on-line somewhere about cost of construction in CR per sq m ... can anybody point me in the right direction - have lost the link ...

Thanks, S.

I believe it varies from about $30.00/sf low end to -> :)

$60/sf gets you a lot of luxury.

TG

Would you say these prices are fairly standard throughout CR today?

Evans.-

Construction costs are not standard throughout Costa Rica. Costs increase outside of the central valley.

The bottom line is that building costs per square foot are determined by the building contract and construction specifications agreed to between the owner and the builder. Take a look at www.costaricahomebuilder.com and go to the "documents" page and select "construction specifications" in order to determine some of the options you can select from. Later, Tom

I have seen Costa Rican construction for as low as $25 a sq ft to USA quality for as much as $175 a sq ft. The latter is obviously outrageous and competes with some of the steep USA markets!

This is why I think the trend is moving away from the beach and we are starting to see more inland projects popping up at more reasonable prices.

There are still bargains to be found but it is harder!

I have seen Costa Rican construction for as low as $25 a sq ft to USA quality for as much as $175 a sq ft. The latter is obviously outrageous and competes with some of the steep USA markets!

This is why I think the trend is moving away from the beach and we are starting to see more inland projects popping up at more reasonable prices.

Where have you seen it $25 a Sq. Foot and when?

How are you doing, Amas ?

The price for a construction is depending on many factors: the complexity of the project, its location, size, finishes.

This price has been changing every year because of you increases in materials.

My piece of advice, in this case, is discussing all these factors with a professional and then deciding the level of expenses you could expect and how it could match with you budget for the investment.

Construction costs in the central valley start at 800$ a square meter. You are calculating in square feet so calculate with 75 USD per sf if you want good quality.

The prices rose about 30% in the last year. This is what I recognized by talking to two (good) architects.

$25 is a bit low for sure, but $30 is do-able with the basics and $35 gets you a very decent place. For $40.00 you will even have a lot of goodies including US fixtures (American Standard, etc)

Those who say they need to go higher (unless you really want a LOT of fancy extras, pools whatever) are just trolling for rich Gringos.

Doubt me? Call my source: Tom at http://costaricahomebuilder.com/

TG

Construction costs in the central valley start at 800$ a square meter. You are calculating in square feet so calculate with 75 USD per sf if you want good quality.

The prices rose about 30% in the last year. This is what I recognized by talking to two (good) architects.

between 700 and 1200 a square meter is what you should expect to pay. Of course it always varies on where the lot is located etc.

We have some pretty interesting figures here. Mapache says 800 per sq meter Ticoville sayt 700+ and I am presuming both persons did not include land in the price.

OK... 1 square meter = 10.7639104 square feet

$800 per square meter = $74.00 per square foot

$700 per square meter = $65.00 per square foot

If you are gullible enough to pay those prices, you deserve what you get (unless you are building with Italian marble, gold fixtures, extras galore!).

It is absolutely not necessary to pay those prices and before you do, again presuming you are not building a mansion, do your homework. I provided a web site above to use as a reality check.

Of course you will pay through the nose if you build at the beaches, pay more for materials, delivery etc. Also San Jose (not the entire central valley) will be more costly.

However, I receive dozens of emails and the VAST majority are from normal (not rich) people without deep pockets having maybe $200,000 or much less with which to buy land and build and not all are interested in an ocean view! They would be happy in any of the dozens of small towns in and around San Jose. They CAN build very nice homes, and this is possible without building crap. It is generally NOT possible if you use companies geared for dealing with North Americans.

TG

These are real costs from a real couple from Texas who live in Costa Rica fulltime.

Feb 2007 we began construction of our home near Puerta Caldera. The completion was July 30, 2007 at which time we moved in.

Lote price 5000sq.meter for $30,000 overlooking Puerto Caldera and the Gulf and Ocean---BTW we spent 2 years renting while looking for just the right place to buy.

In US Dollars

for a gorgeous cement block home with walls up to 16 ft in height, 1100 sq. ft interior space, plus 200sq ft.covered patios, 3 bedroom 2 bath, hot water throughout, with insulation under top quality galvanized roofing, 12 gauge US spec. copper wiring, approx. 40-polarized grounded outlets, 3- 220 outlets, 18 circuits, ceramic tile for all counters and floors and bathrooms, with Lanco paint inside and out of various colors:

Architect, Abogado and all permit fees and insurance for laborers -3,162

Labor- 13,100

Materials for construction including $3,000 in extra wonderful wood for ceiling and ceiling beams-mango and almendro-30,724

10 large plus 6 small clearestory style aluminum framed sliding windows and screens, installed-2,452

11-Laurel and Cedro wood doors, (4 exterior, 2 with glass, 2 of which were custom made) and all wooden framing, all fixtures and locks, installed-2,969

TOTAL: $52,407 fees, permits, materials and labor for house

$30,000 lot with view to die for

GRAND TOTAL $82, 407

I am not including my Price Pfister fixtures I brought back from Home Depot in the states in my suitcase, or large custom kitchen pantry, cabinets, toilets, many light fixtures, 5 ceiling fans, 3 air conditioners, all appliances, and all furniture which adds another 8,000

VERY IMPORTANT!!!! the contractor was great to work with. He would give us a material list every few days, we would go to town and place the order or phone our guy at the ferreteria materiales place and pay for it OURSELVES..we never gave that job to anyone else. WE were on site every day. We knew where every colone went. We provided sodas, cookies, coffee daily. We provided fried chicken and beer and sodas every Saturday afternoon at quiting time to the laborers- sometimes 3 or 4, sometimes 11 guys. WE built friendships and trust. THey wanted to do a great job for us.

As of today, materials would be double or more than double. Labor has gone us som I am sure. I am grateful we found what we did, when we did and we are happily coming up on our one year anniversary. All our landscaping is getting bigger and greener and truly we found pura vida at a lot less than those tacky thrown together condos in Jaco. Those stupid suckers.

We have some pretty interesting figures here. Mapache says 800 per sq meter Ticoville sayt 700+ and I am presuming both persons did not include land in the price.

OK... 1 square meter = 10.7639104 square feet

$800 per square meter = $74.00 per square foot

$700 per square meter = $65.00 per square foot

If you are gullible enough to pay those prices, you deserve what you get (unless you are building with Italian marble, gold fixtures, extras galore!).

It is absolutely not necessary to pay those prices and before you do, again presuming you are not building a mansion, do your homework. I provided a web site above to use as a reality check.

Of course you will pay through the nose if you build at the beaches, pay more for materials, delivery etc. Also San Jose (not the entire central valley) will be more costly.

However, I receive dozens of emails and the VAST majority are from normal (not rich) people without deep pockets having maybe $200,000 or much less with which to buy land and build and not all are interested in an ocean view! They would be happy in any of the dozens of small towns in and around San Jose. They CAN build very nice homes, and this is possible without building crap. It is generally NOT possible if you use companies geared for dealing with North Americans.

TG

Up in Santa Teresa there are builders charging 1k a meter easy. Their work is very high end. Luxury. It's the same area where Mel Gibson, Giselle, Leo etc. live.

Up there you don't get quality work cheap.

It's pretty much about where you live and build.