I'm no lawyer (in any county). But, it doesn't sound like you have any standing in this. You don't own the lot and even though you paid six figures for your view, you don't own that other lot or the view. The person who has nothing or his family could also take physical actions against you if you threaten his family's home.

This is another real example of why it is best to rent. You can move easier than you can move others. Interest on six figures in CD's pay most people's rent.

I would be very cautious. 

T

Tom and Marcia. We here are not working in a vacuum, we have talked to many lawyers, city officials, etc. I know I do not own the land, I am not stupid,

but the fact that I do not own the land is 'irrelevant' if the squatter is building a structure that does not adhere to their codes, that is why they could still make him take it down.

I have heard the excuse of 'physical retribution' before, and I am not a fan of it.  Many many folks, expats as well as ticos, are not happy with this squatter and we are not going

hide because someone who is taking property that does not belong to them is pissed off. I am also not a fan of "It's better to rent"   I've been hearing that for 5 years.

I came here wanting to buy, to enjoy working on MY property, and having an asset to leave my heir.

but thanks for the comments

If I could do it all over again, I would make sure that I knew who owned the vacant land below me, and if I could contact the owner, if the taxes are paid, and how much is it?

Dennis

I think Dennis makes some good points immediately above. 

Whether you're looking to rent, buy or build, it's important to realize that Costa Rica's land use restrictions are very lax. There's little to keep someone from building a hog farm or drop forge on the lot next to and upwind from your own. A useful caution would be to never buy or rent anything you haven't seen in person and that you haven't visited during the day and at night.  Roosters may not crow much during the day, but we lived briefly in a place where they crowed all night -- ALL NIGHT LONG! Real estate listings may show the structure being offered, but what of the neighbors and their dogs and chickens? 

If all you're looking for in a place to live is somewhere to get in out of the rain, then renting may be your best option, but if you're a "nester", as we are and as Dennis appears to be, then owning your own piece of the rock is important. If I had any choice at all, I'd not only buy but I'd build. I've seen a lot of houses, here and up north, that were built in accordance with the builder's preferences but I've seen very few that would satisfy our interests. So build we would build and build we did -- four times, actually. Others may not be so picky and that's fine for them, but living with someone else's mistakes and misconceptions is not for us.