• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==

Epicatt2    0

That's actually a very good suggestion, Induna.

Those 3-wheelers get dozens of miles per gallon!  Plus he's got extra parts for them, too!

Hope Newman is watching and will chime in.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

23 hours ago, eleanorcr said:

I think you've gone off the rails a little bit, Paul.  Plant grass to feed a horse/mule/burro?  I guess you would then need to construct a corral, make sure your property is fenced, see that there are no plants that are poisonous to the animals, build a shelter for them to keep out of the rain, bedding for the shelter, vet calls (8 miles out...or more....), medicines, grain, vitamins.....  it's complicated looking after a living thing.

If having a Plan B for transportation is a real worry and a real need, then so much easier just to buy an inexpensive used motorbike.  It doesn't eat when you don't use it and can sit on blocks under a tarp while not in use.

I feel your pain, James!  I've lived in a remote area like yours and while it's truly a blessing with all the wild around you, it can sometimes be a curse.  I'm sure you will figure it out. 

Hey Eleanor, I appreciate Paul's sentiment and intention to help but I agree: It's not that easy or affordable having and caring for a horse.

Also there is this issue. This grass I have is African, impossible to replace without using Monsanto roundup / rodeo which I am against using,  so there's really no practical way of having a horse here without buying feed AND fixing the fence and being prepared for vet calls and etc etc.

Can 't afford a moto either right now, plus an old guy like me on a moto on a bad road? Not sure that's such a great idea either. (Last time my friend gave me a ride back from the mechanic's on his, the shaking of my bones left my back hurting for 2 days!) And if I did wreck (as most do one time or another) my old bones might not recover very quickly. The only viable alternative really - at this point - is a taxi or getting rides.

Meanwhile as of today, with this "tropical storm",  the whole country is flooded, roads are closed, bridges are out and so a car is not much good anyway. I'm stuck here til they fix the roads.

eleanorcr    0

James, this is the main reason I moved closer to town.  I lived 3 km up a very steep hill on a very bad road and it just became too much after a while.

I now live about 300 meters from the center of town on a very quiet street that features toucans across the street, parrots nesting in my back yard and monkeys moving through from time to time.  I have fruit trees and a few plantings for the kitchen.  So really, the best of both worlds! 

Yes, I have to put up with the thump of my neighbor's bass and the occasional very loud truck, but that's not really a big deal.

In return, I can easily walk to shopping and banking and the bus  but use my car when the huesos viejos are acting up.

Edit:  About an hour after writing that, I was doing some laundry and the hose to my washing machine flew off and sprayed water all over the porch and everything in it, including ME!  hahaha   I thought about you James.   ;)  Yes, I had to sweep and mop and clean off the water and change my clothes and then make a note to buy a hose clamp and fix the hose to the washing machine. 

Edited by eleanorcr

Eleanor, well you got a taste of what my plumbing disaster was like anyway. .. I have PTSD from that plus the tropical storm last week where I had water coming in my front door and bedroom. I  hope NO MORE water problems for at least a few months!

Would love to have a 3 wheeler for backup! Now if someone will just give me the $ for one, LOL.