Redbeard

Benefits of Real Estate in a Corporation in 2017?

That's actually a very good suggestion, Induna.

Those 3-wheelers get dozens of miles per gallon!  Plus he's got extra parts for them, too!

Hope Newman is watching and will chime in.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

23 hours ago, eleanorcr said:

I think you've gone off the rails a little bit, Paul.  Plant grass to feed a horse/mule/burro?  I guess you would then need to construct a corral, make sure your property is fenced, see that there are no plants that are poisonous to the animals, build a shelter for them to keep out of the rain, bedding for the shelter, vet calls (8 miles out...or more....), medicines, grain, vitamins.....  it's complicated looking after a living thing.

If having a Plan B for transportation is a real worry and a real need, then so much easier just to buy an inexpensive used motorbike.  It doesn't eat when you don't use it and can sit on blocks under a tarp while not in use.

I feel your pain, James!  I've lived in a remote area like yours and while it's truly a blessing with all the wild around you, it can sometimes be a curse.  I'm sure you will figure it out. 

Hey Eleanor, I appreciate Paul's sentiment and intention to help but I agree: It's not that easy or affordable having and caring for a horse.

Also there is this issue. This grass I have is African, impossible to replace without using Monsanto roundup / rodeo which I am against using,  so there's really no practical way of having a horse here without buying feed AND fixing the fence and being prepared for vet calls and etc etc.

Can 't afford a moto either right now, plus an old guy like me on a moto on a bad road? Not sure that's such a great idea either. (Last time my friend gave me a ride back from the mechanic's on his, the shaking of my bones left my back hurting for 2 days!) And if I did wreck (as most do one time or another) my old bones might not recover very quickly. The only viable alternative really - at this point - is a taxi or getting rides.

Meanwhile as of today, with this "tropical storm",  the whole country is flooded, roads are closed, bridges are out and so a car is not much good anyway. I'm stuck here til they fix the roads.

James, this is the main reason I moved closer to town.  I lived 3 km up a very steep hill on a very bad road and it just became too much after a while.

I now live about 300 meters from the center of town on a very quiet street that features toucans across the street, parrots nesting in my back yard and monkeys moving through from time to time.  I have fruit trees and a few plantings for the kitchen.  So really, the best of both worlds! 

Yes, I have to put up with the thump of my neighbor's bass and the occasional very loud truck, but that's not really a big deal.

In return, I can easily walk to shopping and banking and the bus  but use my car when the huesos viejos are acting up.

Edit:  About an hour after writing that, I was doing some laundry and the hose to my washing machine flew off and sprayed water all over the porch and everything in it, including ME!  hahaha   I thought about you James.   ;)  Yes, I had to sweep and mop and clean off the water and change my clothes and then make a note to buy a hose clamp and fix the hose to the washing machine. 

Edited by eleanorcr

Eleanor, well you got a taste of what my plumbing disaster was like anyway. .. I have PTSD from that plus the tropical storm last week where I had water coming in my front door and bedroom. I  hope NO MORE water problems for at least a few months!

Would love to have a 3 wheeler for backup! Now if someone will just give me the $ for one, LOL.