• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
Sign in to follow this  
matt22

Opinions/input on a few areas we are considering for initial long term

matt22    0

• We are anticipating receiving our pensionado status in 2 to 3 months. Yes we have been to Costa Rica many times and are studying Spanish to assist us in acclimating to the area and culture. Since it remains to be seen if we will settle in and be able to adopt this country, initially we are going to do a long term rental (3 to 6 months) around San Jose so we can take Spanish classes, use the mass transit and settle in. At this point we are looking around Sabana Sur, Sabana Park, San Pedro, Santa Ana, Escazu, and Paseo Colon. Would like input on any of those areas: 1.Is one any better than another and why 2. Are one of these areas flat or flatter than others (we are joggers), 3. Any reason we should not consider any of these areas? 4. Are there more expats in any of these areas than others. (though we don't want to live in an all gringo area either). 4. Don't want an area that is so far out that a person can't walk 800 to 3600 meters or so to get to a store, buy a coffee, etc .5. Any other thoughts on if a house, a high rise, a condo should be considered? And any thing else.

thanks for thoughts. Tom and Nancy

matt22    0

Jessica: We meant Paseo Colon in San Jose. As recreational runners we are looking for some flat land to run around. The Sabana Park area seems like it would work for us but just wanted to hear from others in that area or some where close by; or to see if anyone had other suggestions. We think we may end up around Atenas, but to start out want to be closer in to the San Jose area.

Thanks, Tom and Nancy

eleanorcr    0

What is it about San Jose that is appealing to you? (I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here... )

If you are looking for Spanish classes, they are available in many many areas. If you are looking for public transit, this is available everywhere. And yes, you can live out from San Jose or in a small town and still be less than 3 km from a tienda to buy coffee or whatever. I live in a very small town where toucans nest across the street and howler monkeys are moving through this morning but I am only 200 meters from shopping: hardware, supermarket, "department store" (clothes, sheets, towels, school supplies, umbrellas, etc).

If you are "city people" and don't mind the noise, traffic, pollution and love the "action" and the many restaurants and shops available, then it could work great. But just like New York City is not New York, San Jose is not really representative of the rest of Costa Rica.

Santa Ana or Escazu are the two that pop to the front of my mind. Paseo Colon, definitely no. Way too busy. As for what type of place to live in; condo, apartment, etc -- that's entirely up to you and what kind of surroundings you feel comfortable in. Just keep in mind that in the San Jose area, security is always an issue.

Others will have other opinions but these are mine.

My advice would be to come here and spend a couple of weeks looking around and visiting various areas before deciding where you want to live long term. Making that decision without "boots on the ground" is not the best idea.

If you have applied for residency, where have you visited before in Costa Rica? What are your goals for living here?

Edited by eleanorcr

ReevesTribe    0

Goodness, I couldn't imagine living on Paseo Colon. But that's just me & my preference, my house is at a beach town in the Central Pacific so I'm definitely not drawn to that type of city living. When I lived in Escazu, I enjoyed living in San Antonio de Escazu (up the mountain, above Escazu Centro, & it's like a different world up there in comparison to San Rafael de Escazu). I do think Sabana is a great park for running - I have a friend who runs it almost daily - so I'd say check out Sabana Sur, where he lives, to start.

Jessica

lucybelle    0

Don't live on paseo colon. You can get to la sabana from lots of other nearby places. This is coming from someone who lived in San Jose, and LIKED living in San Jose.

Also, I wouldn't run la sabana after dark, likely to get robbed unfortunately.

I lived in Pavas and ran around my neighborhood often and loved it. There's plenty of places to run that's not La sabana as well. Just FYI.

lucybelle    0

I think Santa Ana would be great for you. Can live "in town" with lots of cafes and restaurants, and plenty of places to run. It is quite a bit warmer in Santa Ana than San Jose.

matt22    0

Thanks for all the input. Tom is a recreational runner. I strive to be an Olympian competitor. Problem is I keep slowing down at this stage of my life. No to Paseo Colon.Good to get the input on Santa Ana. we have been in that area a few times and got a good feeling there. Will try and spend a bit more time there the next time we come. Will also check out Pavas. We are not ones to do things impulsively. Knowledge is power. :rolleyes:

Nancy and Tom.

lucybelle    0

The nicer area of Pavas is Rohrmoser, if you go too far down the hill towards Lomas or Villa taxis won't want to drive there :) (when there over xmas we went to a friend's house and our uber refused to drop us off at the house, we walked from a few blocks away! Haha!)

I know there are Spanish schools (at least one) in Heredia. Also there are some at the beaches. COSI has a school somewhere at or near Manuel Antonio. I went to COSI and at that time it was good. They also have one in San Pedro.