• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership.   Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate forum.   Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum.   Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tibas9

Invasion From the South(Not Talking Mexico)

34 posts in this topic

Well. It's done. I've gotten no sleep and I'm sad, scared and ashamed.

Esposo and started talk a little while back about trying to move back to CR in two years. Now trying to make it happen in one.

Yes Lucy, your feelings are very much mine, too.

Sounds like the age of Fireworks (no pun intended) in gringolandia is nigh on schedule to begin.

My ideal wish is that this will result in the US citizenry re-taking the reins.

We are living in some truly strange times.

Good luck to us all.

Paul M.

==

"...My ideal wish is that this will result in the US citizenry re-taking the reins...." It's been a rough night, Paul, and I am more cranky than usual, but I have to say: this idea is delusional.

The US is an oligarchy that is controlled by rich and powerful people and huge businesses and there is NO WAY that they are going to let go of that. US citizenry "having the reins" hasn't happened for a long, long time. And if this election is an example of "US citizenry taking the reins" then the "US citizenry" just embarrassed itself before the entire world and put the future of that world in jeopardy.

So -- off my soapbox now and on to a delicious breakfast and trying to forget.....

Eleanor,

I can't blame you for saying that's delusional. But you'll please notice that I used the words 'ideal wish' by which I think you can grasp that I am not holding my breath!

The US Public abdicated its role in governing the country by electing others in to do it for them and then allowing various of those elected to pursue their own agendas and not those of the Nation.

The Public nowadays has stuff like sitcoms and social media to solace them as a way to occupy their time.

And so it goes.

PM
==

Wow, I'm sorry that your preferred candidate/party lost, but after 8 miserable years it seems that the U.S. citizenry pulled on those reins and said "whoa there Nellie, that's enough of that!"

We'll see what the next four years brings. He may not be my ideal, but the alternative was even less so.

Now both sides are represented in posts on the forum, so I vote not to flog a dead horse...

We should have a discussion sometime over a cup of coffee or a beer or two and bring our facts and not our emotions.

Basically, I was not thrilled with either candidate but the candidate who won this election is frightening. "Anti-politician" it may have been, but I am thinking about an egomaniac/crazy person in such a responsible position and it makes me break out in a sweat.

But hey, I don't live there anymore so I don't really care. In fact, I think that the candidate elected shows the "true colors" of the people of the US and that's something I would like to stay away from. And will.

Eleanor, I would greatly enjoy sharing coffee (or better yet, that beer!) with you, but because it is with you, someone whose head is well placed on her shoulders. Not to hash out any facts. Election discussions rank right up there with root canals for me. The election is over and there'll be four years to bemoan whatever happens, and then another chance to continue or flip.

I saw a meme on Facebook that said it all for me.

"After the Election

If you win, don't gloat.

If you lose, don't despair.

This has been hard for all of us.

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

We all will need it."

Edited by CMinCR

That's a great meme, CMinCR. And thank you. I definitely would enjoy sharing a beverage with you.

My problem today is trying to explain all this to the Costa Ricans who are totally flummoxed about the whole thing. I am working on putting together a few terse sentences to explain -- I'm headed to PT in a little while and I know she will ask me about it.

In the meantime, I made some great banana bread using bananas from my back yard so for me, life is good!

Saludos

My hubby said to just enjoy the monkeys and hummingbirds to get my mind off of things. I am so embarrassed at the results, but here's hoping he does well. There's nothing we can do about it. So sad.

There's a very interesting article in El Financiero about the effect that a Trump Presidency is likely to have on Costa Rica. Well written and very well thought out.

Wow, I'm sorry that your preferred candidate/party lost, but after 8 miserable years it seems that the U.S. citizenry pulled on those reins and said "whoa there Nellie, that's enough of that!"

We'll see what the next four years brings. He may not be my ideal, but the alternative was even less so.

No, no need to beat any dead horses Colin, true.

But I was not complaining about the election result per se, rather it was mostly about the public's lack of involvement in running their own government -pretty much other than when it's election time.

Mr. T. -may not have been my choice either- though he could turn out to be a happy surprise –or a surprise at least. He's got some l'arnin' to do first though about governing, that seems clear.

And as Eleanor said he's scary in many ways. But we will have to wait to see what actually evolves or whether he is held in check by the system.

We shalll see . . .

PM

==

This morning's Channel 13 News had a segment regarding some Tico Political concerns regarding the High possibility of a marked invasion from the North of "Hillary Discontents"

Edited by tibas9

Did they give out a number that they thought might be coming? As we have said before, a lot of the time, it's all talk.

But people with few ties or people who are retired or about to retire could be serious about it. Let's hope they all do their homework!

Years ago, after Clinton left office, one of his former advisors left the US after purchasing our coffee farm and additional land where he built a beautiful home. They always complained about something or somebody, and they eventually sold their 'exclusive' property and returned to Arkansas 4 years ago.

I know they gained residency here and wonder where they will head to, this time around...DSWhqA1.gif