• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts which are inappropriate to the Support Forums will be deleted without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
Chrissy

TAMARINDO REAL ESTATE 2016

17 posts in this topic

Hello,

Would you recommend reliable Real Estate agency in Tamarindo.

What about RE/MAX ?

Also an honest and competent lawyer ?

And a property managing company ?

Is there any condominium in Tamarindo to avoid absolutely ?

Thank you.

You may be one of the lucky few, but most people regret buying property here. There is no good reason to buy. Rental values are way out of line with sales prices and selling is difficult. BTW. Anyone can call him/herself a real estate agent. There are no standards or licenses.

T

Do you know that Guanacaste is suffering from extreme drought and water shortages? This can greatly impact quality of life and property values.

I'm just trying to help. Please come, enjoy yourself, and rent. You won't miss any great buys.

T

Reading these questions, it was like reading: "Is it safe to swim with a school of sharks?"

Good comments by Tom. Water shortages are a real problem in the area and I'm not sure a good solution is in sight in the near future. Renting would be a great way to live in the community and get to know the people and their reputations and have a chance to look around for decent property without any rush.

You will find that most advice in this forum would be to rent for a while before you buy. You may find that the place you have chosen is not the good fit you thought it would be and it will give you an opportunity to know what's what before making a purchase of any kind. Remember that property is really easy to buy in Costa Rica but really difficult to sell!

This will be helpful for some general information about buying and owning property in Costa Rica: http://costaricalaw.com/category/costa-rica-legal-topics/real-estate-and-property-law/

Good morning Eleanor, Marcia and Tom,

I understand you are helping, thank you all.

I already live in Guanacaste.

Tamarindo : I thought I would never buy there. These last weeks, I went there, I was surprised to notice that apparently Tamarindo does not - maybe -deserve its reputation.

There are 2 international schools with 37 different nationalities : it means families with children.

Today, it looks like a peaceful and nice vacations small town.

Then, I was planning to invest in a condo, only for rentals.

But I wished to know about safe real estate and lawyer.

It would be interesting to have also opinions of ARCR members living in Tamarindo, if any.

Many times in this forum, people don't get answers to the questions they asked and that can be frustrating. However -- what usually happens is that you get some ideas and thoughts about your topic; perhaps something you haven't thought about.

"Living in Guanacaste" is not the same as living in the specific place where you want to buy. Of course, if you are already living in Guanacaste, it's unlikely that you would move to Tamarindo just to get involved in things.

Going basic - you would need to do a lot of research to be sure you are getting what you want. As you are already living in Guanacaste, why not spend a few days in Tamarindo? Get a room and then spend some time going around town and talking to people -- business owners, expat residents, etc -- and see what they have to say. Maybe contact some builders or contractors in town and hire someone to do an "inspection" of a property you are thinking of buying. Look at some condos that are used mainly for tourist rentals and talk to the person in charge. Ask about occupancy rates, fees, etc. Check with the Registro about any property you are looking at. You can also get recommendations from people for a good attorney. Wherever you live in Guanacaste, you can also try to find a good attorney if you don't have one. You really don't need an attorney IN Tamarindo -- just a GOOD attorney who is honest and will work on your behalf. Even if you find a good attorney, it's still important to do your homework.

Of course, Tamarindo will have a Facebook page that you can peruse.

Perhaps someone living in Tamarindo will respond here, but just getting one person's opinion may not be totally valid. Plus -- it's the internet! You really don't know who will be making a recommendation. (Could be part of the business being recommended; could be paid to recommend, etc. Might not be -- and that person might give you good advice, but you really never know.)

When you are putting a significant amount of money into an investment, it's always better to spend the time and energy necessary to make sure you are getting the best deal for your hard-earned money. (Oh, gosh, now I sound like my Dad! haha)

Thank you Eleanor,

Your Dad is a wise man !

You are right, I'll spend more time in Tamarindo and talk to people. Investigate more.

I "have" a non perfect professionally but honest lawyer in San Jose ... Too far. I wish to find one in Guanacaste.

Good evening.

So, while eleanorcr is correct that many of the posts/replies wonder off the topic - I will do the same here very quickly. The reply "there is no good reason to buy" while perhaps the majority view, is rubbish to some, me included. There are many wonderful reasons to buy. Water is a consideration in Tamarindo but it is a lovely place! We bought, 6 years ago and love it....and so do many others! Enjoy your journey....

So the contrast between TomandMarcia's post (no good reason to buy..) and Savannahjo's post (rubbish) is one of the reasons this forum is so valuable. Everyone is different and their wants/needs are different. When I first came to Costa Rica, I bought property and after 7 or 8 years, sold it. And never looked back! I'm at the stage in life where I want things simple and easy and renting provides that for me. Problems? Call the owner and he takes care of it. Want to move? Pack up and go. (I am on a month to month, "handshake lease.")

But really, if you are considering purchasing a condo to use as a rental for tourists, then having water 24/7 is vital. If you cannot be assured that there won't be a problem - i.e., the condo complex has its own tank system for backup or you can put in your own -- then be very wary. I can tell you from hard experience that while a homeowner will put up with a water shortage and deal with it, someone spending $100+ per night to rent a condo will not.

Tamarindo is not a place I would ever want to visit again, much less live there. But, as Savannahjo said, lots of people like it! Another difference of opinion and wants/needs.

Good luck with your quest, Chrissy. I hope you find what you are looking for and it works out for you.

Thank you all,

At least, one reply from Tamarindo. Thank you Savannahjo.

Nothing to tell about RE//MAX and a lawyer there ? Jose Silva has been recommended to me (?).

(Tired to go to San Jose for only one signature or one paper).

This is another subject : but to answer to Eleanore, nowadays, it is safer to own property, land, etc... than to have money in bank (s). Our world financial system and the banks may collapse at any moment. And there won't be any guarantee even if the banks and governments (USA, Canada, Europe and so ...) pretend it. People will loose their savings. In my opinion, the less in a bank, the better.

Have a good day.

There are so many rentals available throughout the country, now that companies like airbnb, flipkey, etc are operating. Many prefer these since that may not have to pay additional taxes...

I have an excellent attorney we used nearly 6 years ago (purchase), but he is located in San Isidro, close to us (45 mins) so I did not recommend. If you want to reach out to him, IM me. We are now friends and he does everything for us....

I don't intend to get into a big, long discussion about the many reasons for owning property, Chrissy. Your financial goals and ideas are your own. But if, as you say, owning property is a good hedge against an economic depression or whatever, and that is one of your goals, then I'm not sure that buying a condo would be the best thing to do. In hard times, the condo management could just fade away, leaving you with a condo in a building and on land that no one is taking care of. Playas del Coco is a good example of this where there was huge overbuilding of condos prior to the economic problems experienced a few years ago.

For a long-term investment of that sort, maybe buying a small house to rent out or even buying a lot would be preferable. Also keeping in mind that if there is an economic depression, there is little chance that you would realize much income since tourism would probably be "down the drain." And selling it would be out of the question. It would need to be a property that you would be willing to hold onto until things get better which often takes years.

Another advantage of owning a lot: If things get REALLY bad -- you can always grow your own food! ;) But, of course, a lot won't bring in the income you are looking for.

I think that all the posts about renting were written when everyone thought that you were wanting to buy a condo to be your place of residence. Buying as an investment changes all that.

Edited by eleanorcr