• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership.   Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate forum.   Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum.   Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
durphym

Where to get your Costa Rican Postal Address

8 posts in this topic

I really appreciate everything that ARCR has done for us however, the one area that I am really frustrated with is mail. One of ARCR's representatives has been working with me to get a letter to us from ARCR. I provided address information given to me by our landlord. I was informed there wasn't enough information. They needed more landmark information. I provided more landmark information only to be told there was too much information. Ok, that's fine. Luckily, a friend of ours has a postal box in Cobano and she is allowing us to use that to get the letter to us. We have a work around for now. Where can I go to get the correct address information for this location? We live in Montezuma however, I believe there is a postal office in Cobano at the bus stop. Thank you.

Durphym, This is in response to your question about a P.O. Box. I am unable to respond to your original post. I don't understand why you don't just open a PO box at the Cobano post office. I realize this is a trip from Montezuma, but if you're like me, you won't get too much mail anyway. I only check my box every 1 or 2 weeks. It is fast and easy to obtain a box. You have to show them your passport and give them the money. I forget what it costs to get a box. It's a little more expensive the first time around. Then when it's time to renew a year later, it's a tad bit cheaper.

Edited by Epicatt2
Merged reply to original post.

Where can I go to get the correct address information for this location?

You really should not have to go somewhere to get your dirección. All it is are directions to find your house, Have you never had a delivery to your house? Furniture, appliances. pizza? That is what the P.O needs. You may need to tailor the directions a bit for someone coming from out of town. They may not know about the tree that everyone refers to that blew down in a storm 10 years ago. Use very visible buildings, junctions, businesses and distances like 200 metros, 500 metros.

One issue I do see occasionally, especially from non-locals are the North, South, East, West directions. After driving some considerable distance and arriving in an unfamiliar town a driver may not know which way is up. These can easily be calibrated by driving by the local church and central park. The church altar is always to the East which puts the park to the West of the church. But if this is a problem then it may be better to give directions like "turn left..." instead of "turn South...".

I have been to the Post Office/Correos in Cobano on many occasions and I was wrong, it is not at the bus stop; it's the next block over.  You cannot simply walk in to the Post Office and expect to get a box. They don't have any available.  I was told that I had to check in with them every month to see if there is a box.   They don't seem to be interested in adding new boxes.  Someone has to relinquish their box in order to make one available.  Even though I have provided them my cedula and passport that appears to be for not.  They are not going to contact me when a box becomes available.  Luckily, we have a friend with a box there so if we do have the need we can have mail delivered to her.

Did you think that showing them your passport and cedula would make a difference?

If they don't have any boxes.... they don't have any boxes.  It's really up to the "central" Correos management to decide when to put in new boxes and not up to the local workers.   They can say "We have had this many people applying for boxes and we now have a waiting list of this many people."  but they don't make the decision.  

I wouldn't expect them to call you when  box becomes available.  It's just not how institutions like this operate.    Perhaps they are wrongly rewarding the people who live in Cobano since it's easier for them to check in.  But that's the way they have decided to handle it and that's the way it is.

For your home address:  I am sure you can refine your address to something that makes sense to both the Correo and whoever is sending you a letter.  It may take a few tries.  Perhaps the real question is:  Do you actually have home delivery in Montezuma? On a side note -- can you just get your letter as an email and then print it out? 

Because the payment for apartados are due in January, I would pay close attention to this time frame.  You can check the Correos de Costa Rica website about payment terms and at what date a box will become available due to non-payment. 

In the meantime, if you have a friend whose apartado you can use -- that's a good solution until you get it all worked out. 

Wouldn't if be just as simple Dean, to have the letter sent special delivery (if available) c/o General Delivery to your nearby post office? 

Then you can just go in in a few days and ask for it by showing your passport.

All that said, since you say that already you have a 'workaround' in the form of a friend's 'loaner' p.o.box, you should be In Like Flint!

¡Buena Suerte!

Paul M.

==

They have boxes available.  What they don't have is the keys!  When we got ours 3 years ago, they told me to come back in 2 weeks for the key.  At the time we were only here on vacation, so I objected.  Funny how a key miraculously appeared then and there.  But you don't really need a box to get mail.  You can have your mail addressed to you in care of the correos in Cobano.  It's just that when you do it that way, you won't know when a package has arrived for you.  Even if your phone number is listed on the package, they don't always call you.  We have friends who do it this way, but they only have stuff sent that is trackable so they can track when it has arrived at the post office.  But since you have a friend with a box, yes, you can use her box number.

I was in the Cobano post office today.  They now have "Libre" stickers on all the boxes that are available.  I counted more than 20 stickers.