• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
Sign in to follow this  
Savannahjo

67 Years without an army...

tibas9    0

December 1, 1948 marks the date - congratulations to Costa Rica!

As a CR Citizen who has lived here for over fifteen years I have observed that the Tico Police Force(s) have really ballooned for such a small Country and population.

You could almost call it a "Quasi-Army".

Edited by tibas9

eleanorcr    0

I recently watched a documentary made by an Australian crew about climate change and part of it was filmed in Costa Rica. They asked a Costa Rican how the conservation and alternative energy generation got started and the Costa Rican replied that it was when some really smart people in government decided to do away with the army and put that money and effort to other things, such as education and conservation. Interesting answer.

Congratulations to Costa Rica! A wise decision and one that has paid off for its citizens.

PS: Tibas -- Costa Rica actually has 337 police per 100,000 people, according to Wikipedia, with fewer police per capita than Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Cambodia, Cayman Islands, Czech Republic, Dominica, El Salvador, France, Greece, Grenada ( which lists 818 police per 100,000 -- they also have no army since the US invasion), Hong Kong, Italy, Jordan, Kuwait, Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Micronesia....... get the picture? Without going through the whole alphabet?

Maybe there are lot of police where you live, but in rural areas such as where I live, they are not "thick." Two, as a matter of fact. And a truck. Of course, assignments of police will depend on population or need -- heavily touristed areas, for instance. (Monaco has an astounding 1374 police per 100,000 population - but gotta protect those rich people and there's always James Bond around to cause trouble.)

induna    0

Living on the border with Panamá, the difference between a militarized state like Panamá and Costa Rica couldn't be clearer. Well done Costa Rica!

I am very happy to know the that none of the young people who I see every day will have to die on the battlefield, nor have their parents been irrevocably changed by War. In a time in which we clearly seem to have forgotten the horrible lessons of the last century, Costa Rica is clear example that we can do things differently.

eleanorcr    0

I, too, think the same thing as I walk around town and see the young people and their families. Especially when I read news accounts of another young life in another country snuffed out by a useless war or lives ruined by it. How fortunate that these young men and women and their families will not have to experience that horror.

Well done indeed, Costa Rica!

induna    0

The thing about Armies is that if you have one, it's very difficult not to use it, even when it really isn't a good idea. I wonder how our ongoing conflict with Nicaragua over the Isla Calero would be playing out if Costa Rica also had a military. The pressure on chief executives to show that they are "strong" and "decisive" can be almost unbearable, leading to predictably tragic outcomes. It takes a lot of courage and foresight to deny oneself such a tempting tool. ¡Saludos a Don Pepe y el pueblo costarricense!

eleanorcr    0

Ron -- if you want to have a political discussion about this, then start a new thread.

But in this thread, I can only echo induna's sentiments about the decision to get rid of the Costa Rican army taking a lot of courage and foresight. Hooray for those that made that decision and saw it through.

Congratulations, Costa Rica for 67 years of a "war-free" life!

Savannahjo    0

The differences are tremendous! I travel extensively and it is great to visit our place in CR - where there is like no police force compared to (most) other places on earth. Based on ones perception, but it is a wonderful, peaceful, full of wonderful animals, beaches, eateries and people! Again, bravo CR!

Epicatt2    0

Ron -- if you want to have a political discussion about this, then start a new thread.

Eleanor & Gentle Forums Members,

If you're interested please visit the new thread that I split off after the hi-jack.

It's called ISIS & CR.

Regards,

Paul M.

==