• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
Sign in to follow this  
Marsrox

Unlocked Mobile Phone Question

Marsrox    0

At the moment I have a c15,000 mobile phone that allows me to call and be called, along with something called 'texting' for which my fingers are too fat. It has a flashlite which is among the other options I never use. But its obvious that my acquaintances and business relationships demand I move into the 20th century.

Next month while in the USA, I plan on purchasing an 'unlocked' cell phone. 'Smart' it will be, much smarter than I.

Looking at Best Buy, I note that some phones only work on GSM and some phones only work on CDMA.

Could someone please tell me what I need to buy so it will work here?

I'll not be biting into the 'Apple' and android works for me. I won't become (hopefully) one of those Zombies walking the streets oblivious to life and uneven sidewalks. I avoid all social media unless forced to comply, so I want just the basic phone for (gasp) talking and being talked to, but with potential to 'wuzup' (no idea why I need that) and scan barcodes for info and pay bills by pointing.

All opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Marsrox

This is probably not what you want to hear, but here goes. Years ago we bought an unlocked Nokia phone for here. It worked fine for phone calls but wasn't that great for emails or texts. It was ok and did its job since all we wanted it for at the time was phone calls. Six months ago my husband started using it while I was using my IPhone. He hated the Nokia, so when we went back to the U.S. for 10 days, he insisted on buying himself an IPhone. He absolutely loves it, and I love my Iphone. His is a 6; mine is a 4. We are not Zombies and do not walk around the streets staring at our phone. That would be suicidal, especially in this country! But having said that, I know plenty of people who have and like Nokias. But I've never asked them if they text, email, and use Whatsapp on their phones. My hubby has that particular app on his phone and loves it. I do not have it. He uses it all the time to contact his friends. I'm sure someone else on this forum can tell you what's so great about it because I just don't know.

By the way, my first cell phone was the candy bar style. I absolutely loved it. All I ever used it for was calling. The same goes for my next phone, which was a flip phone. The IPhone is my third phone, and it took forever to get me to text on it. Yes, I did it kicking and screaming 'cause I consider myself a dinosaur. But once I discovered its many functions - did you know you can actually send a video message on it? - I was hooked! (But I'm still not a zombie!! :ph34r: )

T&VSmith    0

My wife and I are both using Android, Samsung Galaxy and have for years. We just purchased two more from EBay. If you are purchasing a Smart Phone similar to the Samsung just ensure it is capable of 4G (almost all are). We use it for Facebook, texts, WhatsApp, Waze (signal dependent), etc. We downloaded the Spanish Dict app and it is invaluable for talking translation when strapped. Smart phones rotate the screen if you wish and it is GR8 for us fat fingered friends.

Edited by T&VSmith

eleanorcr    0

Make sure whatever phone you buy is CDMA. Otherwise, it won't be compatible. You could look at some of the phones on the Kolbi web page to get some ideas.

And yes, I am also one of those dinosaurs who never wanted a smart phone. My son gave me his old iPhone 4 when he upgraded and now, I am totally hooked! Funny thing is -- I don't use it much as a phone, but more as a "really small portable computer."

While reading about "Apps" kind of makes me crazy, I have downloaded: a program that gives you your GPS coordinates no matter where you are; Waze -- which has maps and also will give you traffic updates at various points around the country from actual drivers; Runtastic which I can start up when I walk and it will tell me how far I walked, how many steps I took and how long it took and how many calories I used. I also have one that shows me the elevation of wherever I am as well as a couple of simple games -- such as one where you make words out of four letters and try to "beat the clock." I also have downloaded free books from Project Gutenberg and can now read the "Odyssey" while on the bus without the additional weight and hassle of carrying the book.

I'm not great at texting but I can at least send a text to friends who are going to pick me up at the bus stop to tell them where I am so they can figure out what time to show up. If your fingers are too fat, you could get one of the phones that has a little stylus.

In addition, it has a pretty good camera which means I haven't used my digital camera in a couple of years.

I don't use the telephone much, but because it has powerful ear phones, I can use it even with the hearing loss that I have. And yes, it's always good to have in case of an emergency. Most of us who have internet have telephone service at home so not much of an issue there. But I live in a place where when I leave the next town over, there's nothing for 25 km so that "emergency" thing could come in handy.

Think twice about that flashlight. It just might come in handy some day. If I were to use all the things that I now use my phone for, I would have to have a GPS, a flashlight, a kindle, an altimeter, one of those watches that measures how far you walk or run, a game boy or similar, a digital camera AND a phone.

All in all, I am pleased with my phone and really don't let it "own" me but the other way around. After all, it is a tool - and a good one.

ReevesTribe    0

I have a Galaxy S6 Edge - it's a great phone but probably more than you really need. You'd likely be fine with something like a Galaxy S3 or 4 (much cheaper).

As for the iPhone, it's fine but I'm more comfortable with Android.

Jessica

lucybelle    0

I never wanted an apple product then my dad bought me an iPod touch. It was awesome and I used it mostly as a travel "computer" also. I then was given a Samsung tablet and HATED it. The thing I love about Apple products is they are so intuitive. I had to google how to change email accounts on my tablet. In that moment I decided I wanted an iPhone.

Got my first smart phone about 2.5 years ago. It's a 4 and I still have it now. It's great. I bought it unlocked and it's worked for me with various SIM cards in USA, Costa Rica, countries in the EU, and India. Never thought I'd be an Apple fan, but I am! I don't see the need to upgrade until I break this one, which hopefully won't be anytime soon.

lucybelle    0

Ps- whatsapp is great because it uses wifi or 4g to send text messages. This is how I stay in contact with my international friends without having to pay ridiculous international fees. You can text, send pictures, send video, send audio clips, etc. You can also use it to call similar to skype.

Technology is pretty darn cool right now.

induna    0

You need to make sure that the phone you buy is quad-band gsm and quad-band wcdma. The wcdma 850mHz band is what Kolbi uses for 3g and it can be the hardest to find supported. For 4g you need support for FDD-LTE bands 3 and 7.

I recently bought my first pocket computer (aka smartphone) and found that I could get a much better deal on a much more capable phone by ordering one straight from China, but that is probably not for everyone. I got a very nice and very fast Android phone for about $160 delivered to CR, and I could have done better. You can buy VERY nice phones for under $200 that will work perfectly here in CR.

Marsrox    0

Thanks to all that gave opinions about phone choices based on their experiences. I took notes of the highlights using a pen and paper, which seems incongruous to the task at hand.

In my defense, the pen did not have a feather attached.

Special thanks to induna for the technical advice and to Eleanor for sharing her favorite aps. It must be serendipity that this morning over the breakfast fruit plate I was reading the Jan/Feb, 2014 issue of "Money" magazine and they mentioned her fave 'Project Gutenberg' as an excellent free download site for books. I enjoy all the classics, especially those from historical periods, even re-reading books now that I first read in junior high school, so I better check it out.

And re: Money magazine - In a couple of weeks I'll visit Mom in Ft Myers and she's an avid 'thrift store' shopper. She has a route (usually going with friends) and I enjoy the treasure hunt. People donate their Nat Geos, Sports Illustrated and my favorite, "The Economist", all of which I buy in bulk @ 4/$1, reading them, then recycling to anyone I meet here that might be interested.

While some might wonder what value 'old' magazines have, its an entertaining opportunity to look back in time. In the case of the a fore mentioned financial magazine, one discovers that 'Money' offers >50% terrible stock/mutual fund advice with an authoritative straight face. I'll never relate to their audience of "for those making $250,000 - $400,000/year" who have to be told that (commissioned) 'financial advisors could (should) be replaced with an index fund tracking the market.' Articles relating how to "save $12,000/yr by limiting impulse shopping" don't relate at all to my budget where stopping for roadside jacotes are about as impulsive as I get. As for as "The Economist", one can begin to learn who's political and/or financial opinions are worthy of consideration.

Thanks again for all who opined.

Marsrox

eleanorcr    0

Have you investigated reading those magazines online? I haven't bought a magazine in years (except for one or two that I have bought to read on a flight.) It's a lot easier and you can save articles if you like and no worries about insects, humidity or recycling or schlepping back to Costa Rica in your suitcase.

And... many magazines can be downloaded to your smartphone and read there, just like Project Gutenberg books.

DanaJ    0

I think that T-moble has the dual sim Blu phones, we have one here and its pretty good, not a super smart one, but all we use it for is the 'phone' function.

versatile    0

I didn't read all the posts. Walmart is selling a Smartphone for $10.00. It is recommended by KIMKOMANDO as well.

Don't know if this will be good for you or not.

The KIMKOMANDO online will help you in the future.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this