• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==

Savannahjo    0

When it is 100% - toward the end of this year; 1) Creates thousands of new jobs, 2) Better roads and infrastructure, 3) Proud symbol of growth for Costa Rica - all good!!

Epicatt2    0

Well maybe not completely perfect, to wit . . .

Alajuela's newly opened City Mall and several nearby neighborhoods (including Baviera which is the barrio to the south the Féria del Agricultor) were flooded due to heavy rainstorms. The reason being given is that the incomplete work on the new elevated roadway supposedly caused the flooding of the mall's 2nd parking level.

Here's the link to an article in spanish about it with some photos:

http://www.crhoy.com/paso-a-desnivel-a-medias-provoco-inundacion-en-city-mall/

A friend wrote me to say that he hoped that the article was right about the flooding being caused by the unfinished new roadwork. My friend also wrote that the flooding episode was catching a lot of humorous flack from ticos on FB. Somebody on there commented that it was such a bargain to pay 600 colones for 3 hours of parking when a car wash was included. And someone else wrote that you could get a mud facial just by stepping outside your car and lying down.

Let's hope that they finish up the road work quickly and that it will avoid any further flooding problems. (That is if El Niño doesn't insist on having his own way thru CR's holiday season.)

¡Pura Pantanal!

Paul M.

==

I was just out driving around yesterday and decided to check it out. That was a mistake. The line to the parking lot started just past Walmart. I went into Alajuela and the line from the other direction was backed up to the gas station at the traffic lights.

It was Sunday. I'm sure that it will be easier to visit closer to Christmas.

I didn't get in either line, so I can't rate the mall experience.

T

Epicatt2    0

Gentle Forums Members,

Here is another article about the new City Mall in Alajuela. This article is from the Tico Times and is in english:

5 Things You Should Know About The Newly Opened City Mall

There a brief comment in the article about Sunday's flooding plus other information about the Mall and its opening.

But if what Tom says is true about the notable traffic backups which he encountered yesterday when he thought he'd go check out the new mall, then it is prolly a safe bet to forego any visits until the newness of the place wears off a bit.

MEANWHILE: Does anyone here know that Plaza Real, which is located in Alajuela just south of the SE corner of where eastbound Calle Ancha makes a right-turn north, will be opening a whole new section in a week or so? I haven't seen what all stores will be in it but it is apparently almost a big as the original part of the Plaza.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

eleanorcr    0

I was there about a month ago and I couldn't figure out how the traffic was going to work. The boulevard in front of the mall is already very heavily traveled and I can't for the life of me see how the traffic is going to flow. It's the main route from Alajuela centro to Rt 1 and the airport and then you have to contend with that "go to the traffic light, turn left and wait at another traffic light so you can turn left again to get to the mall." Next time I fly out of SJO, I will reconsider staying at a hotel somewhere near Alajuela centro because of that.

So the opening of this humongous mall (it looked the size of a small village to me) is touted and marketed everywhere - especially before Christmas - but for me, it sounds like just another traffic headache in an already crowded place. Maybe there's a "back way" that people will find, much like the back entrance to the International Mall.

Big developments always justify themselves with "JOBS!" but sometimes that's a high price to pay. I am not a Luddite (obvious since I am using a computer) but neither do I get excited over a "NEW MALL!" To me it's just kind of... ugh.

Epicatt2    0

[snip]

Big developments always justify themselves with "JOBS!" but sometimes that's a high price to pay. I am not a Luddite (obvious since I am using a computer) but neither do I get excited over a "NEW MALL!" To me it's just kind of... ugh.

I'm not at all fond of malls and have not patronized any here in Tampa in about three years and then only one time, to go to the Apple Store for my laptop. Nor have I been to a mall in CR since prolly 2011. (Whoops! I did go to Int'l Mall to the GNC store there once but was only in the mall about eight minutes, got what I needed and got out of there.)

These new humongous shopping conglomerations may be interesting to visit once, perhaps to satisfy one's curiosity, but I've never found that I garnered much in the way of savings by shopping at them.

These monster malls to me are a good reason to continue to support the local shops in town run by the little guy. The closest thing to a mall that I favor visiting would have to be something like Alajuela's Mercado Central -which is just requetelleno de puestos y tenditas belonging to small shopkeepers.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

eleanorcr    0

That's one of the things I always wonder about: What happens to "the little guy" when a mall like this opens. It will get a lot of activity and interest, especially before Christmas, and that makes me wonder about the small shops who depend a lot on the "Christmas rush" and aguinaldo.

Eleanor,

There is a mall exit inbound from the pista. There is still construction going on in the vicinity of the exit. I don't know how well it will work in the future. I don't know about the outbound exit situation.

I was just going to kill some time. I'm not a big mall fan. When we are in the states a mall is a convenient one-stop shopping location.

T

lucybelle    0

I've always been a fan of multiplaza in Escazu, the pay to park kind of sucks. Especially since there's often no parking!! But you couldn't pay me to go to any mall in any country in November or December.

eleanorcr    0

Friends who own a small B&B and are building two new cottages spent two days in the San Jose area, shopping for various articles (from toilets to kitchen knives) at Pricesmart, WalMart and one other big store. "How was it?" I asked. "It will take us another two days to recover." they said. "Maybe more."

T&VSmith    0

We are putting on two Christmas parties for the locals, one for the Ancianos and one for the Ninos. We took Adeila (one of the local ladies) shopping for the first trip and went to PriceSmart where she had never been. The look on her face was priceless and now Vivian's English class ladies have all called "shotgun" on the other two or three trips we need to do. Every day we have something new ...... tomorrow it is two local teens returning to the house for "advanced English" and of course the usual goodies. They come weekly.

induna    0

One of the things I really like about living in the boonies is the total lack of anything approaching a "big box" store or a mall. I don't even know where the nearest Walmart is, but it is certainly several hours away. Heck, the closest Maxi-Palí is in Rio Claro, which is an hour away, and that's also the nearest the traffic light. To each his own.

If I really need to shop for something I can't find in town, I go to Paso Canoas, which is about the polar opposite of Multi Plaza Escazú, but it is always an adventure.

I wish the Alajualenses good luck with their new mall, and I'm glad I'm not there.

Edited by induna

eleanorcr    0

I don't mind the "atmosphere" -- it's just that I live sort of at the other end of the country. And I stay away from Chepe altogether. I just buy whatever I need either locally or at one of the "Small Box" stores such as Monge. Can I save money shopping at Paso Canoas or Golfito or San Jose? Yes. But there's gas, wear and tear on my car, wear and tear on my nerves, meals, hotel (or two) and in the end, just not worth it. I really do like supporting local merchants and do it whenever possible -- it's where I look first. I know there are things that can't be bought where I live (mattresses, for instance) but for everything else (kitchen supplies, towels, fans, tools) I buy locally if they have what I need. That's also a good way of helping local employment -- you know.... your friends and neighbors?