Sign in to follow this  
versatile

What kind of fish are we eating?

I, too, have often wondered what was the kind of fish that I purchased at the pescaderia in Mas País of that mi vecino (mi primo) brought me from one of his fishing trips. I know that this is a guide to fillets (not steaks as you described) but this may be of use (to someone).

Any fotos? color? texture?

http://www.marviva.net/index.php/en/consume-responsibly/56-news/costa-rica/348-guide-to-the-identification-of-fillets

I, too, have often wondered what was the kind of fish that I purchased at the pescaderia in Mas País of that mi vecino (mi primo) brought me from one of his fishing trips. I know that this is a guide to fillets (not steaks as you described) but this may be of use (to someone).

Any fotos? color? texture?

http://www.marviva.net/index.php/en/consume-responsibly/56-news/costa-rica/348-guide-to-the-identification-of-fillets

The next time i will take a photo

This is a major problem everywhere...fish is mislabled. A lot of shark is sold as swordfish. Rockfish in California is sold as Red Snapper. Many fish in restaurants in Costa Rica are called Corvina and Dorado...they could be anything. In the US there have been lots of investigations about mislabled fish. In Costa Rica, as elsewhere, unless you buy a whole fish, you are taking your chances. If the spine in the example you described seems more like cartillage (softer, more friable, and simpler looking) than bone, it is probably shark...I try to by fish in Costa Rica directly from the fishing boat as it comes into the distribution wharehouse. Obviously not possible unless you live on the coast where the boats come in. But even there the method of fishing may be illegal, or the place where the fishing was done illegal. In essence, it is enredado, totally messed up!

Why not ask when you buy it?

T

Because i wasn't there when she purchases it.i ask her and she doesn't know. Hard to do much walking to the store and she gets down there and back in minutes.

Robalo

robalo.jpgfairly frequently available in Uvita - great fish! Snook or in CR called Robalo

That is it.I googled for Robalo steak photos and that is it. Thanks

Please do not eat shark (tiburon). Shark finning a huge problem in Costa Rica and is greatly cutting down the shark population in the oceans (some shark populations have decreased by 70% in just the past 20-30 years). Add to that shark being fished for meat... our ocean ecosystems are about to become seriously FUBAR.

Do NOT eat shark. It's not environmentally sustainable.

Edited by lucybelle

Absolutely right Lucybelle, about eating or encouraging shark sales. Unfortunately, people do mistakenly sometimes buy shark miss labeled. Shark finning is outrageous, and has to be stopped. Killing off top predators has many unintended consequences for Earth.

I don't buy shark myself, but I do sometimes see it in the store labled as something else than what it really is.

But, on the other hand, I would prefer seeing the whole shark being used for something than just finned and thrown back into the sea to die.

Edited by DanaJ

Eating shark is not the problem. The problem is shark finning when literally millions of shark have their fins cut off and then they are dumped back in the sea and obviously die.