Sign in to follow this  
Brenda P

Best online news sources?

My husband and I are touring Latin America for 8 months, beginning mid October. I have been trying to find reliable and credible online news sources to follow. Can you more experienced folks tell me what your favorite sources are?

Thanks so much,

Brenda

There's always the TICO TIMES online edition. The TT Online Digest can be signed up for and is sent every weekday save for holidays in CR.

The TT is the longest continually operating English-language newspaper in Central America, in operation since the mid-50s.

HTH

Paul M.

==

For me, AMCostaRica is just pages and pages of ads with a very few stories about Costa Rica, not all of them accurate, with lots of world news and news from the US that is totally unnecessary. TicoTimes is a bit better.

There are quite a few online English newspapers - Q Costa Rica is another one - but basically, they take the stories from the Spanish language papers, translate them and then publish.

For more actual Costa Rica news, read the Spanish language papers. La Nacion, CRHoy, Prensa Libre. Really, the best online newspaper is El Financiero.

I'm with Eleanor on this one. By far the best sources of news are the Spanish language sites. I read La Nación (in print even) most every day, and CRHoy.com is a good, free online source. And there's always Diario Extra if you like gory crime photos. The English language sites are heavily filtered for stories 'of interest to expats' and are often biased by the ideological divisions currently fashionable in the USA which have little relevance in Costa Rica.

Edited by induna

And, Induna, EL DIARIO EXTRA can actually prove quite helpful for expats to improve the spanish reading levels as it is written at about a fifth-grade level.

Plus the spanish in El Diario Extra is much less high-falutin' than that in La Nación and so easier to understand, those gory photos of shootings and auto accidents in it withstanding...

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

And, Induna, EL DIARIO EXTRA can actually prove quite helpful for expats to improve the spanish reading levels as it is written at about a fifth-grade level.

Plus the spanish in El Diario Extra is much less high-falutin' than that in La Nación and so easier to understand, those gory photos of shootings and auto accidents in it withstanding...

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

No doubt!