• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
!Mark!

Inexpensive Flights - Delta

!Mark!    0

I subscribe to AIrfarewatchdog http://www.airfarewatchdog.com to receive alerts for airfares. I received an email from them about Delta flights from SEA to SJO in the next month for $317. I haven't seen a fare this low in years. I suppose that Delta may also have similar fares to other US cities. These low fares are often very fleeting with a short shelf life, restricted dates, blah, blah, blah... Check it out if you are interested.

eleanorcr    0

A couple of months ago, I bought a RT ticket from SJO to Raleigh, NC for $336 on American. This is for a flight in September and I wasn't going to buy it that early, but couldn't resist! That's cheaper than flying to Miami.

Of course, December is a whole other thing.

missy    0

I'm looking at $388 to Boston in November.... unbelievable... but I can't commit myself right now and these tickets are not refundable tickets. I hope theses prices will be around next month.

VickiLloyd    0

Southwest and Alaska Air have joined the airlines serving Costa Rica as of this November. They created somewhat of a price war for this winter! I think it mostly benefits the west coast, where United, Delta & American had the monopoly. I'm using United air miles from San Diego to Liberia, then paying $345 one way from Liberia back to San Diego on Southwest.

Epicatt2    0

That's a great price, Vicki. Especially considering that the flights you cited are from the west coast of the US to CR!

This week I was checking Spirit fares from Tampa via FLL > SJO. and a one-way flight was priced right around $360 once it was upgraded to Spirit's Big Front Seat, i.e., Spirit's Business Class.

Let's hope the airlines have another heated fare war soon. That will be good for many of us, especially those Pensionados on a fixed income.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

ReevesTribe    0

Paul - I know you prefer to fly Spirit, but don't forget that Jet Blue has an FLL to SJO route as well. I've actually flown JAX-FLL / FLL-SJO the last two trips & have found the prices equal to or even cheaper than I was paying for a direct from MCO to SJO (where I had to pay to park my car).

Jessica

Edited by ReevesTribe

Epicatt2    0

Yes Jessica, thanx, I do know about JetBlue and I have considered using them but do they have a 'Big Front Seat' like Spirit does?

Also I would still have to get to FLL from TPA and JetBlue doesn't do TPA > FLL (or TPA > MCO). Nor does JetBlue fly TPA > SJO.

Otherwise I would have to rent a car or drive (and pay to park) my own car from Tampa to MCO to fly JetBlue and either option starts to eat up any savings for those budget fares.

You are just fortunate to be in Jax where you have better access to SJO via JetBlue.

BTW, I did a search on Spirit last night and found a o/w TPA > FLL > SJO for a barebones fare of $116.00 (before the upgrade to the Big Front Seat = $75 o/w) with about $54 for luggage fees. So that would be $245 total for a o/w flight. In my case it's the convenience that makes Spirit worthwhile fo me.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Epicatt2    0

Jet Blue has "Even More Space" seats that are the equivalent to the big front seats - $45 extra for them.

Thanx for that info, Jessica.

What I need to research now is the best connection (and price) to FLL from TPA.

PM

==

ReevesTribe    0

Not sure if the cost savings would be enough to do the 2nd leg with Jet Blue over Spirit, but you could always do Spirit for the TPA to FLL portion (& the return). I used to fly Southwest JAX to FLL, then Spirit FLL to SJO prior to deciding to give 'my business to Jet Blue. I think the Spirit terminal is next door to the Jet Blue one.

Jessica

Edited by ReevesTribe

eleanorcr    0

I have to say -- FLL is an airport I will avoid at all costs, if possible.

I used it several years ago with a Spirit flight to and from Florida, and it was quite pleasant and easy. However, it has gone from a nice little airport to a crowded beast during those years! The last time I was there (about 8 months ago), it was so crowded and mismanaged that I ended up going to a bathroom downstairs and outside that is designated for employee use because the ONE bathroom in the concourse had about 30 women in line. Just one of the problems.

For people traveling on Spirit it is a necessity, of course, and I would "never say never" but I hope like anything to avoid it until something changes. Of course, I said some years ago I would always avoid MIA for all its problems and find myself transiting through there in September. So I guess you just never know.

Epicatt2    0

We still have no non-stop flights TAP > SJO originating Tampa Int'l Airport. Cannot figure out why. There used to be Condor (Ger.) that flew Fronkfort > Tampa > SJO at bargain prices. Immediately I found out about it it ceased its TPA > SJO flights three weeks later. Since then nothing has replaced it.

So I'm stuck with Spirit (my choice) because of its convenience. The r/t travel on Spirit has only made me late back to Tampa once in all the trips I have taken with them. and so far, knock on naugahide, they've never lost any of my luggage.

I will agree with Eleanor though that airside H at FLL tends to be majorly crowded. Fortunately for me heading southbound there is seldom a wait as I usually deplane and re-plane like in one swell foop - no waiting. Now northbound there is a layover of about 2-1/2 to 3 hours before we fly on to Tampa.

For all the research for other options I have from time to time tried looking up I so far have not find an alternate itinerary to mach the price and convenience to me of Spirit, and that is despite what others say about the carrrier's inconveniences which I know really do exist.

Cheers (anyway)!

Paul M.

==

merc1011    0

I too fly out of Tampa and I have a love/hate relationship with Spirit. I haven't been as lucky as Paul as almost all of my flights have been late both coming and going. That being said, even with "paying" for my luggage Spirit tends to be a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the rest. That being said, I always check the other airlines (via kayak or google flights).

My 2 cents...

eleanorcr    0

A couple of times a year, I go to visit my son who is currently living in North Carolina. Last year, I decided I would take the train! So I booked a flight on Spirit from SJO to FLL and then spent the night in Ft Lauderdale and took the train the next day. I got a sleeper room on the train (it's about 18 hours) and even with the train ticket and the night in Ft Lauderdale, it was still cheaper than flying to North Carolina -- because of the Spirit flight. Yes, I had to leave at 1 am but arrived back at SJO around 11 am so not too awful. I have to say -- when I arrived at the boarding area in the airport, it looked like a tranquilizer bomb had gone off because of all the bodies in various sleeping and dozing positions!

Edited by eleanorcr

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.