• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
!Mark!

Inexpensive Flights - Delta

Riverjop    0

We bought our return trip tickets from Phoenix to SJO in November on Southwest thru some special deal for $160.00 each. And built our trip to the U.S. Around them. Super great deal!

minnisd    0

I am a NuB to this site, very informative and entertaining! I purchased round trip tickets from Delta, Michigan to San Jose, FNT-ATL-SJO, back in April for travel this October for $445, I did not feel that was too bad.

My wife and I are thinking of retiring to Costa Rica in the next few years. We currently live on a 35 acre place with horses, sheep and chickens, with a couple of dogs of course. We are looking for a rural place to garden and raise chickens and take it easy when I retire. It looks like we can count on you all for advise and support. Thanks, Doug M.

Epicatt2    0

Welcome to the Forums, Doug.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying all the nformation on here so much.

And there are quite a few very knowledgeable regulars on the Fourms who can (and do) asnwer questions you may have, so feel free to ask.

¡Pura Vida!

Paul M.

==

Epicatt2    0

Wow! Thank you Patty. I wasn't aware there was such a routing. I usually just take Spirit.

Despite its well commented upon flaws Spiritair has always been the most convenient carrier for me TPA > SJO with one brief stop in FLL on the way south.

I'll have to check it out.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

lucybelle    0

I am not able to visit CR this Christmas because tickets are so expensive! I'm talking over $1200!!

Since my esposo can take vacation days we managed to finagle the dates a little and find a ticket for him for the low cost (sarcasm) of $700. Since I'm a teacher I can only go during our break (we are not allowed to take off days before/after a break) and so I won't be able to go this year. :(

induna    0

I am not able to visit CR this Christmas because tickets are so expensive! I'm talking over $1200!!

Since my esposo can take vacation days we managed to finagle the dates a little and find a ticket for him for the low cost (sarcasm) of $700. Since I'm a teacher I can only go during our break (we are not allowed to take off days before/after a break) and so I won't be able to go this year. :(

You might not want to give up. I have often seen the prices do down if you book closer to your travel dates. Over three months is a lot of lead time and the airlines might still be asking for full-price. Closer to Christmas, even only in a month or so, you might see the prices drop significantly.

Last year my wife and I had to make an emergency trip and flew on Christmas day for less than $300 from SJO to IAD. I flew back in late January for $150 on a one stop through Houston. My wife flew back a couple of weeks later on a non-stop from Dulles for $300. I actually got a better deal buying just a week before the flights back.

Good luck.

I'm looking at $388 to Boston in November.... unbelievable... but I can't commit myself right now and these tickets are not refundable tickets. I hope theses prices will be around next month.

Recently bought one for $330 to Boston but it had several stops and made for a long day.

eleanorcr    0

I would also look at one-way tickets. While this has always been a "more expensive!" thing in the past, I recently did this and it worked out great.

With airline A, I had a decent flight to Denver -- about 9 hours with one stopover. However, coming back was a NIGHTMARE with the shortest amount of time 17 hours. So, "just for grins," I started looking at two one-way tickets, on two different airlines. The travel times and stopovers were good and the price was about what I would have paid for a round trip.

ripple33    0

I have done the Spirit route to FLL several times. The last time was in October. I will never do it again. The line to check luggage in FLL was literally out the door and down the sidewalk outside of the terminal. Many people were missing their flights despite showing up three hours in advance. It took hours in line just to check luggage. I was lucky that I was at the airport four hours in advance. Maybe not though since they boarded flight had had computer problems so they deboarded and sent us to another gate. Then had to wait several hours until they got a new pilot. Plane was there, dont understand why the pilot from the original flight did not just switch planes. I understand problems happen with all airlines but the luggage line was the last straw for me.

Jet Blue has always been awesome for me. Also glad Wingo is now operating for cheap flights to Guat.

eleanorcr    0

When I flew into FLL some years ago, it was an enjoyable experience. Not a huge airport like Miami and more "user friendly." However, the last time I flew through FLL, I would agree with you ripple33: NEVER AGAIN! At least, not until this airport has completed a major expansion.

It looks like there are a gazillion more flights but nothing has been done to expand and upgrade the airport. Consequently, unbelievably long lines for everything! When I was there, the line to the ladies' room was so long that an airport worker took pity on me and pointed me to the employee rest room which was downstairs, along a corridor and mercifully empty. (And no, it wasn't in a restricted area.)

I don't know if this is a taxpayer thing or airport management thing -- but they clearly need to do some major work at FLL.

ReevesTribe    0

I've always had great luck with Jet Blue through MCO (Orlando). It's a direct flight & I can usually book it for under $350 r/t. Sometimes I can snag a great deal on a JAX - FLL - SJO flight, which I prefer to fly since my FL home is in the Jax area. However, the last two times I've flown through FLL I have been terribly delayed. I agree that there seems to be something going on at FLL right now that makes it difficult for flights to leave on time. Both times there were tons of flights delayed. They've got some construction going on between terminals so maybe they're doing some expansion now but I haven't seen any benefit as of yet.

Jessica

rodo    0

I usually only go to Gringolandia for shopping or visiting (or a combo last year with seeing the Ticos play in Houston in the gold cup which was a great experience) So anyway now with SW doing Houston RT or Baltimore Rt I am a big fan of them.

I have my Houston shopping routine down now where I can go on an early SW flight arrive Houston, rent one day of car and stay one night in hotel and leave the next day with bags full of goodies.

Like $250.00 Rt if you plan in advance.

I did Baltimore this past summer with SW and got great flight out of Dulles to Europe RT. Between the two RT flights just under $1.000 Rt and to Europe on Turkish airlines. Turkish even in economy was wonderful. Two great FULL meals off of printed menus with two choices. Free drinks, movies etc. Wonderful. From Baltimore airport, train to Dc, then metro and Dulles airport bus and easy peasy.

To me the bag fee is very important. SW allows two free checked bags like 50 pounds each. Also another 20 pound in cabin bag and a nicely filled backpack. Probably could bring a couple of filled plastic bags too. The SW folks are sooo nice.

So my only concern was Aduana here in SJO. But no problems there.

I realize most of the discussion is how to get to the USA but thought I would throw this option in.

Amazing how much I can get so cheap at Wal Mart or similar or hard to find things like my gas bar b que grill gas thingy that was rusted, vitamins, 20 2 pound cheddar cheese packs (5.99 each), horseradish, nuts and much more all that are very expensive here.

Some may say why spend the airfare, car rental and hotel just to buy crap in the US but I kind of like a wakeup call going there to realize how much I prefer Costa Rica and our bad roads and other things some complain about versus the crap I see up there.

Headed to Mexico Wednesday and like to suggest interjet.com as a great Mexican airline that also has bag policy like SW. If looking for a great place to vacation check out Mexico but in my opinion the interior colonial cities and Mexico City.

Let’s get a group together for our next Costa Rica Sele game March 24th in Mexico city at the famous Azteca stadium. I went last time in 2013 and it was a very memorable experience.

induna    0

Rodo,

I would love to go to the game, but don't make your reservations yet. There has been a lot of talk about moving the location of the game to a different stadium/city. Mexico hasn't committed yet.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.