• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
Sign in to follow this  
missy

How to pay utilities while out of the country?

missy    0

A neighbor of mine has bought a home in San Jose. He does not live here full time YET. He is wondering how to pay his utilities (cable, internet, electric and water.) while out of the country? Can he pay a head of time? He is only here 3 months in the beginning of the year and he may show up later in the year.

Do you think he could have them shut off when he leaves and turned on again when he returns?

Any Thoughts??????

Missy

eleanorcr    0

Does he have a Costa Rican bank account?

If not, he would need to find someone who would pay the bills for him. Leave money with that person and the information about his various accounts (electric, water, etc) and that person can pay the bills for him.

He can't pay ahead of time and I doubt if he could shut off the service easily.

Edited by eleanorcr

DanaJ    0

If he can't pay online, then he needs someone that he can trust to pay for him. If service gets shut off, its a royal pain to get it turned back on.

missy    0

Thank you,

I will ask him if he has an account. I don't think he does. I would think they would have a way to pay by credit card directly to the companies.

That's a good question. CAN you pay your utilities directly using a credit card? We haven't been here that long, but everyone I know pays via their bank account. I've also seen the sign at stores that say you can pay there.

eleanorcr    0

You can pay in person with a credit card, but not by internet. To pay in person, you can go to an ICE office or pay at one of the many shops and stores that accept payments. To pay by internet, you need to have a Costa Rican bank account.

CMinCR    0

In San Jose he should be ok. Not all rural Acueducto (water companies) are set up to accept online payments via bank, much less credit card. Ours only started bank transfer support a year and a half or so ago.

Edited by CMinCR

eleanorcr    0

My Aqueducto was the same, CMinCR. They finally set up with Banco Nacional to receive payments -- but not with Banco de Costa Rica. (Originally, you had to go into the office sometime during the first 5 days of the month which was the only time they were open which was OK because I just paid every 6 months. At that time, you could pay ahead, but not now. The difference, apparently, between accounts on index cards and somebody's idea of a computer program.)

Of course, living in San Jose, his water company would be AYA which can be paid from either Banco Nacional or Banco de Costa Rica.

ReevesTribe    0

Cable Tica allows for setting up an automatic payment with your credit card for internet/cable. I'm not aware of ICE or AyA offering this (AyA is not an online option in our area yet so we have a friend paying our bill for us when we're not there). We pay all of our other bills through BCR's online payment system.

Jessica

missy    0

Cable Tica allows for setting up an automatic payment with your credit card for internet/cable. I'm not aware of ICE or AyA offering this (AyA is not an online option in our area yet so we have a friend paying our bill for us when we're not there). We pay all of our other bills through BCR's online payment system.

Jessica

Thank you Jesscia, I will tell him.

Savannahjo    0

I have paid mine in advance in prior years before getting a bank account. I knew (still do) the folks at AyA and the amount of money was not significant....we paid 6 months ahead. Worked fine, maybe that is a consideration for you....

missy    0

I have paid mine in advance in prior years before getting a bank account. I knew (still do) the folks at AyA and the amount of money was not significant....we paid 6 months ahead. Worked fine, maybe that is a consideration for you....

Thank you Savannahjo, I will tell him.

eleanorcr    0

As far as I can tell, we still don't know if Missy's friend has a Costa Rican bank account. If this is the case, then everything else is moot.

Also -- I don't know if AYA accepts advance payments. My aqueducto used to accept advance payments but doesn't anymore after becoming totally computerized. Of course, with no Costa Rican bank account........ there would be a "whole lot of checkin' goin' on"

Edited by eleanorcr

T&VSmith    0

Our aquaducto just went computerized. One fellow here says we can now pay that on line instead of the climb up the hill to Sterlin's house!!!

ReevesTribe    0

Our AyA isn't computerized yet & they quit allowing us to pay in advance...maybe ours will be computerized soon? Esterillos really isn't THAT rural...

Jessica