Sign in to follow this  
eleanorcr

For those of you who complain about paying your CAJA premium

This is the cost of a rattlesnake bite in the US:

http://i.imgur.com/BbQgU8a.jpg

"...Two thirds of Americans who declare bankruptcy cite medical bills or illness as a significant cause, and 75% of those who cite medical bills as the case had health insurance at the time they incurred the bills....."

What I object to is one year paying $50/month, then the next year it was jacked up to $240/month. Then there are a bunch of other and new taxes - Who can budget for such increases? If we were to do it over, we'd be checking out other countries.

That medical invoice at $153,000 for a person with no insurance, would have been equal to 4.68 years of my entire salary from when I worked for the State of Florida at USF, Eleanor.

Glad I opted for the BC/BS insurance we were offered as employees there. That way for this snake bite my 20% co-pay would have only been $30,632.20 ! That's outrageous and totally screwy.

This puts the CAJA payments into some sort of perspective, I suppose, but except for excessively long waits for certain scheduled tests, etc., with the CAJA, the CAJA maybe is not so bad a deal, at least pricewise.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

What I object to is one year paying $50/month, then the next year it was jacked up to $240/month. Then there are a bunch of other and new taxes - Who can budget for such increases? If we were to do it over, we'd be checking out other countries.

How does this happen? I thought that, except for incremental yearly increases, the original assessment was permanent.

If we were to do it over, we'd be checking out other countries.

What other Central American Countries, Panama and

Mexico have a similar socialized CAJA Medical System like here in Ticoland??

Panama= NO

Nicalandia=NO

Honduras= ?

El Salvador=?

Mexico=Maybe Not??.

Belize=??

I think not too many!

Edited by tibas9

Paul - Under your BCBS, you very likely have an out of pocket maximum for your benefit year. Our Humana policy, for instance, has an out of pocket maximum of $2500 as an individual ($5000 for family). As long as I use in-network providers for covered services, I'd never pay more than $2500 no matter the size of the bill.

Jessica

Some people are lucky with their health insurance.... others not so much.

When my granddaughter was diagnosed with leukemia, her treatment cost almost $500,000, including several hospital stays. At the time, my son was working for the New York Times organization (not the Times...) and he ended up paying $3,000 out of pocket.

When I ended up in the hospital in the US for two days while they examined my heart, arteries, etc, it was $10,000 and it took me 6 years to pay it off. (And yes, in the end, the hospital offered a deeply discounted payoff amount, which I paid in a lump sum.)

At least in Costa Rica you make your monthly CCSS payment and you know that you will not have to pay anything more for health care -- unless you choose to. Of course, for some things you don't want to wait -- like biopsies. A local friend had a lump in her breast and was told she had to wait 3 months for a biopsy. Uh Uh... we all got together and put up the $500 for her to get it done privately. She did have cancer, had immediate mastectomy and chemo and to day (10 years later) is in fine health. All for $500.

Edited by eleanorcr

I totally understand going private in a situation like that, eleanor. I'm doing all my routine care in FL since it is covered 100% under my US health policy. I had an abnormal mammogram last month, so had to go immediately for a diagnostic mammogram & ultrasound (it was normal). Once I got through all the testing, one of my first comments to my husband was wondering what the timeline would've been through CAJA for the process. I'd have likely had to go private to get the turnaround time in CR that I had in the US.

Jessica