• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
ronofboston

ENOUGH is ENOUGH

ronofboston    0

ENOUGH is ENOUGH

Thank you for your responses and support.

Our attorney responded within 2 1/2 hours with a one paragraph response. It is best summarized by the opening sentence "In your case we have fulfill our obligations".

Our situation is unique in that a crucial document had been withheld from our Immigration file for a period of 511 days. What we had thought was "standard bureaucracy and delays" was dispelled when in December of 2014 we received a e-mail from our attorney noting a meeting with Immigration to discuss our case. He stated " "we showed the receipts and copies of such documents submitted may 15 2014, and they acknowledge receipt of them". May 15, 2014 is seventeen (17) months after we had contracted with ARCR. Why the delay ? We are of the opinion it was retaliation for a ugly confrontation in the ARCR Office (December 19, 2012) and subsequent LETTER OF PROTEST sent to Mr. Ryan Piercy.

What was originally perceived as incompetency now raises the question of "Malice".

We have decided, after incurring costs close to $4,000.00, to take Mr. Induna's advice and pursue resolution on our own. We will hire a fluent speaking person and visit Immigration.

It is time to get back to the PURA VIDA life, which is why we came to Costa Rica.

Paula & Ron

Edited by ronofboston

eleanorcr    0

So sorry, Ron for your troubles. It's totally unconscionable that your attorney took so long to provide important paperwork that he should have known about in the beginning, being an "expert" and all. $4,000? OMG ....

As painful as it is to put that expenditure behind you, I think you are wise to pursue it yourself with a Spanish-speaking Costa Rican friend.

Let this be a good warning about so-called residency and immigration attorneys. People tend to trust ARCR and their attorneys but there are too many stories of incompetence or lack of knowledge or just plain wrong information given out to be totally trusting of that organization.

Your story should be "pinned!"

Edited by eleanorcr

ronofboston    0

TicoGrande Post # 6

"ARCR is closing their offices and moving"

When ? To where ? I have not seen any announcement. I thought they owned the building.

salish sea Post #15 Item 1

"If attorney wants entire amount up front"

Gayle is dead on. I wish there was a method of informing all potential NEWBIES of this danger. If they ask for 100% up front, don't walk away, RUN.

eleanorcr Post # 19

"your attorney took so long"

I believe the delay in the document filling was as much ARCR's fault as the Attorney's. Although he should know what and when items are required, It was ARCR personnel who failed to deliver it to him.

And to Mr. Newman: I've got to believe that somewhere along the line you really pissed off GOD in your former life. Although I enjoy your post for the hummer you offer, I for one would not wish to see you leave. A homogenized forum can be quite boring.

lucybelle    0

I had a lawyer "working" on my case for over a year. Luckily, I didn't pay the guy, my boss did. Anyways, here I am ohhh... three and a half years later and still have no residency (not that I need it anymore since I left the country). I also stand by the fact that the lawyer actually SLOWED DOWN my case.

I am certain that when we move back to CR in another two decades or so I will do everything myself. Not paying a dime to any lame layers.

Epicatt2    0

ARCR is moving about four blocks south and west of the old Casa Canadá venue. It''ll be easy to get to. It's just south of the Universal store at the SE corner of Parque La Sabana.

They will be up and running again on the 7th of July. There is a flyer available on the ARCR website. ARCR members were sent an email in the wee hours this morning about this.

== == ==

As to atty fees 100% up front... ARCR used to require 1/2 payment up front and the balance when you had your cédula in hand at last. That has changed due to so many members paying half and then not following thru to complete their residency process, leaving the other half of the atty fees unpaid. Now ARCR has been forced to collect the full fee up front.

== == ==

Paula, I hope this clears up two of your questions above. Good luck with your residency.

Paul M.

Forums Moderator

==

eleanorcr    0

Thanks for the information, Paul. I understand the problem with only getting half upfront, but frankly, I would never agree to pay the whole amount upfront. Once you do that, you lose whatever leverage you have. And when you have waited almost three years for residency and a big part of the problem was the ARCR attorney, then what can you do? At least if you only pay half, the ARCR attorney has an incentive to make sure to get it right.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to ask people to give some names of attorneys they have used where they had a good experience getting their residency.

Epicatt2    0

Thanks for the information, Paul. I understand the problem with only getting half upfront, but frankly, I would never agree to pay the whole amount upfront. Once you do that, you lose whatever leverage you have. And when you have waited almost three years for residency and a big part of the problem was the ARCR attorney, then what can you do? At least if you only pay half, the ARCR attorney has an incentive to make sure to get it right.

Eleanor, for the record, ARCR does not HIRE their attorneys; they are put on CONTRACT and if an atty does not produce then that atty's contract is simply not renewed. The saves ARCR from the nightmare of bushels of red-tape that they would have to go through to fire a non-productive attorney if he were an employee; and it likewise is an encouragement for the attys on contract to produce or not be renewed.

Still there have been some problems now and then with an atty that needs to be addressed. One difficulty historically with policing these problems has been that the resident applicant does not realize that there is a problem -or if he does know, has not reported the problem to Ryan so Ryan could resolve it. I know this from first hand experience back from the time when I was having ARCR process my Pensionado residency, and there is one other Forums member that I know of who had a similar problem with an atty at ARCR. Once they did report their concerns to Ryan it was addressed and the problem got resolved in short order.

HTH

Paul M.

==

!Mark!    0

As to atty fees 100% up front... ARCR used to require 1/2 payment up front and the balance when you had your cédula in hand at last. That has changed due to so many members paying half and then not following thru to complete their residency process, leaving the other half of the atty fees unpaid. Now ARCR has been forced to collect the full fee up front.

If it consistently takes 2 years + to obtain residency I can understand why some applicants back-out. There are probably even some who have died waiting! :o

Terry, I think this is the time period other forums members had mentioned that they were experiencing, when you first applied... but your lawyer had mentioned to you, that he thought it would be less, if I remember right.

eleanorcr    0

The thing is, Paul, who wants to pay in advance for work by an attorney that may or may not work out? ARCR does a "tryout" for an attorney and if they don't work out, they are not used again? What about the people that this attorney worked with before ARCR decided the work was not "up to snuff?"

Obviously, there are many parts to the acquisition of residency, including gathering all the correct paperwork in its correct form (which a good residency attorney should be able to tell you), the work load at Migracion plus the "uh oh, we misplaced the file" kinds of issues. While no one can control what happens at Migracion -- and it changes all the time!!! -- they can control the person they pay money to and trust. If you don't do your residency on your own, it's important to have a good residency attorney and one that will give you the correct information about what paperwork is needed as well as following up regularly with Migracion. If I pay thousands of dollars to an attorney, I don't expect to have to call up Migracion or go there to find out what is happening.

Remember that just because it took Person A 3 months to acquire residency and it took Person B 2.5 years to acquire residency -- that has no bearing whatsoever on how long it will take for any one person.

newman    0

In the spirit of harmonious discourse, and for a full understanding of where I stand, I invite everyone concerned with my posts to send me a private message for my e-mail address or phone number - or better still, why don't we all get together for a one on one discussion of where, and why I'm bringing up my concerns - I assure you I'm not crazy/insane/blathering idiot/monster that it appears some of you consider me to be!! Respectfully Paul Meister Miramar