"Tom The Baker" is retiring this evening. Last chance to say goodbye is at the Grecia Feria tonight (Friday, May 29). Last chance for the great apple pie, bread, and more. He will be missed !!!!

Tom sounds like he was a well-kept Grecian secret cuz I never remember hearing about him.

Mostly I came to Grecia with a friend to see another friend & we all would go to La Galería Steakhouse, now also gone, alas.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Tom and his wife were regulars at the ferias in Atenas and Grecia for many years. Before coming to Costa Rica (15 years ago?) Tom had worked in bakeries (among other things) and applied that knowledge to our benefit.

Honest-to-goodness real baked goods (pies, cakes, brownies, cinnamon buns, bread...) "just like home". We've never found equivalent baked goods anywhere in Costa Rica (not that they don't exist.) Tom's signature "boater" straw hat was always an eye-catcher.

I didn't realize he was retiring but he will be sorely missed.

Thanx for that little update, Colin. Wish I'd known he was there.

I was only at the Grecia féria once, a number of years ago, and on that occasion I waited in the car for my friends since they were just going to 'run in & grab a couple things'.

PM

==

Tom & Jan Yatsko live in Atenas, he runs Buen Pan bakery, which is for sale, if not sold already, and had his breads and sweets at the local feria, as well as at Grecia. Also at the local Coope Super.

Very good sourdough bread. Will miss these things.

Glad to know that Tom will get to kick back and relax now.....

Dana

Edited by DanaJ

Well, along the same lines -- my neighbor Mascelino is no longer delivering milk. After 15 years of getting up every morning, milking his cows, putting the milk in bottles and then riding his horse around town to deliver, he has now retired. And bought a motorbike! We used to laugh and say if the horse could make change, then Mascelino could stay at home.

Just another instance of "old Costa Rica" going by the way. And yes, there is a guy delivering milk by motorbike. He has a plastic milk carton strapped on the back of his motorbike and provides the same service..... but really, it's just not the same.

I have friends who have a small dairy so every week or 10 days, I head up to their farm with a couple of empty bottles. I used to raise cows and I miss them so it's also an opportunity for me to have some "cow time." lol...... Nothing beats fresh milk from a Jersey cow! And the next morning, the cream is so thick at the top of the bottle, you can't pour the milk out.

[sniip]

I have friends who have a small dairy so every week or 10 days, I head up to their farm with a couple of empty bottles. I used to raise cows and I miss them so it's also an opportunity for me to have some "cow time." lol...... Nothing beats fresh milk from a Jersey cow! And the next morning, the cream is so thick at the top of the bottle, you can't pour the milk out.

And some folks insist that those who live way out in the boonies, like you do, are impoverished, Eleanor.

Guess it is actually you, though, who has the last laugh about that. (All that and occasional 'cow time', too!)

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Yes, Paul, I am so "impoverished!" No WalMart, no movie theater, no symphony, no Starbucks. Just howler monkeys, sloths, 300 species of birds, friendly neighbors, no crime, fresh milk, eggs, fruits and vegetables and... "cow time!"

Well maybe no symphony, Eleanor, but I'll bet there's a more than a few guitars around there where you are and prolly a couple of mariachi bands or marimba conjuntos in the vicinity.

They would serve me just as well in lieu of a symphony, if it were me in your chancletas!

¡Pura Vida!

Paul M.

==

Guitars, yes, mariachi or marimbas no. But there are pretty frequent dances in the community center so it's easy to learn and enjoy salsa dancing.