Sign in to follow this  
Tom and Marcia

U.S./Costa Rica Balance of Trade

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c2230.html

This link leads to a report from the U.S. census bureau that shows the balance of trade between the U.S. and Costa Rica over the years.

It shows how, for many years, the U.S. imported more from Costa Rica than they exported to it. Note that this year to date there is a reversal of that pattern.

Also note how the balance of trade dropped from four to five billion dollars to about $2.5 billion. last year. One or two billion dollars less is a lot of money for a country of this size. These are difficult problems to address. The cost of doing business in Costa Rica is driving many multi-national corporations to cheaper countries. The U.S. is having the same problem with jobs leaving the U.S.

This is a global problem that can not be solved by a handful of retirees.

T

Costa Rica is now unable to finance its annual budget déficits because Moodys and J P Morgan have told the world that if they buy the bonds that Costa Rica must sell to finance its déficits, that they'll probably never be repaid, or receive pennies on the dollar if Costa Rica devalúes it's Colone to try and save its economy!!! This is a reality tha must be changed. I can't do it!! Only the government can do it! The easiest step would be for the governement to tell that world that they want investments and retirees here! One of the easiest step would be as I suggested! Talking is not enough. Action is needed!! All of us are in the same boat - if this place collapses (which is likely at this point) all your past happiness living here goes down the tubes when hyper inflation hits! I do not want this to happeen!!

Here's my take on the whole situation: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I don't live my life wondering what will happen to the Costa Rican economy or will Nicaragua invade or what will happen to residency rules or balance of trade or imports or exports.

I go about my daily life, enjoying it immensely -- mostly from not thinking about stuff like that. When things change, I adapt.

Edited by eleanorcr

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c2230.html

This link leads to a report from the U.S. census bureau that shows the balance of trade between the U.S. and Costa Rica over the years.

It shows how, for many years, the U.S. imported more from Costa Rica than they exported to it. Note that this year to date there is a reversal of that pattern.

Also note how the balance of trade dropped from four to five billion dollars to about $2.5 billion. last year. One or two billion dollars less is a lot of money for a country of this size. These are difficult problems to address. The cost of doing business in Costa Rica is driving many multi-national corporations to cheaper countries. The U.S. is having the same problem with jobs leaving the U.S.

This is a global problem that can not be solved by a handful of retirees.

T

As Bob said, the large decrease in exports last year was almost exclusively a product of Intel closing it's manufacturing plant. The rest of the export has had mixed, although generally positive results.

If anyone is really interested in what is going on with the economy, the government's actual policies, and the concerns of the private sector, I highly recommend subscribing to La Nación and/or El Financiero. It beats 'the sky is falling' rhetoric.

I have read La Nación daily for the last 12 years - I can assure you that I know how to read, and am not of the "the sky is falling" mindset!!