Sign in to follow this  
Savannahjo

75 Days running on water....

Not sure if everyone saw the news clip that our "island" (it does seem like an island at times on the coast) make that country had has an abundance of rain for the turbines and hence that has produce nearly all of the energy for CR for the last 75 days. How cool in the ongoing goal of carbon neutrality over the next few years!

I didn't see the news clip. I usually watch the 7PM news on TeleTica channel 7. Must have been on a different channel.

It is nice to hear that, for at least 75 days, Costa Rica did not have to burn oil to generate sufficient energy.

I still don't understand why, with the abundant alternatives available in Costa Rica, they continue to burn expensive and dirty oil to generate power. While hydroelectric generation is certainly "clean" (does not pollute the environment) it does have huge impacts on the ecosystem by damming rivers.

There is some geothermal generation. This could easily be expanded. What I mean is, just about anywhere you poke a stick in the ground in this country you will eventually find hot water. This is almost free energy.

There are some wind farms scattered around. Without a doubt there is sufficient (maybe too much) wind here. The turbines aren't without their drawbacks. They are not kind to birds and can be a blight on the land, ruining some beautiful vistas.

Costa Rica seems to be almost ideal for solar power generation. While initially expensive, the cost per kilo Watt hour is continually falling. While I really wouldn't like to see huge solar farms covering the landscape of Costa Rica, I do think that encouraging homeowners to install individual, grid tied systems could provide a massive amount of energy. But, instead, the govt. is proposing to tax energy sent to the utilities. What the heck? !!!

ICE, CNFL, the Costa Rican govt. really, is missing the boat. Where I lived near Seattle the electric utility did a study and determined that conservation was a much cheaper alternative to building new generation facilities. They instituted programs to provide free low-flow shower heads and faucet restrictors to customers. They subsidized the cost of low energy products, providing rebates for energy efficient appliances and heating/cooling systems. They even subsidized the cost of light bulbs. For a while, you could buy CFL bulbs for as little as $1.00 at some area stores. The subsidy is now being applied to LED bulbs but they have not yet become as cheap.

While it is nice to hear that, at least for a short period, Costa Rica was able to meed their demands for energy in an environmentally friendly manner. However, I think that this is the exception rather than the norm and that some more progressive thinking is needed change that.

My $0.02