Sign in to follow this  
ronofboston

Atenas Chili Cookoff Reminder

Just a reminder - Atenas Chili Cook-off this Sunday 2/8/15

New Location

www.atenaschilifiesta.com

Last year it was reported they raised $30,000+ for the local Orphanage.

My husband and I are hoping to get there tomorrow. It sounds like a good time. We were there one other year and some of those chilies are really hot, but tasty.

Missy...of Worcester Ma

Wish we could be there. Seems like a good time and a good cause. Made a small donation anyway. If you can't attend, please try to help!

The Chili Fiesta is really getting to be a big deal with the new bigger venue this year. Any reports or videos? Did anyone here on the forum go?

I don't know whether Norman and his crew from Jalapeños participated this year. Have you heard that he's getting ready to open a new eatery, a Colombian place, with arepas and other Locombian food!

Looking forward to trying it out. It's not open yet -no date set- but soon. When I asked when he said he's taking his time.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

SteveJ

It was a successful turnout. It will be a few days before the totals are in (attendance & money), but quite a difference from the original started by "TOM & KAY COSTELLO" at their small restaurant in Atenas . There were only 6 participants in the cook-off that year. This year saw 21 competing for "BEST CHILI IN COSTA RICA". What had been a "Gringo's festival in the park" was expanded this year to be more "all inclusive", Ticos and Gringos. The hours were also expanded this year with a concert lasting until 10:00 pm (way beyond my bed time). I would recommend you check their web site for pics. www.atenaschilifiesta.com .

Ron

Epicatt2 Paul M

Norman was in attendance but not a contestant in the Chili Cook-off this year. I'm sure he will be glad to show you his previous trophies next time you visit Jalapenos.

Ron

Edited by ronofboston

Just FWIW, Mitzi Stark has an article in today's TicoTimes online edition covering the Chili Cook-Off in Atenas.

HERE's a link to Ms. Stark's article.

Wish I coulda been there.

Paul M.

==

AND THE WINNERS ARE

Judges Choice

1st Place: Marine Corps League

2nd Place: Roca Caliente

3rd Place: South of "South of the Border"

People's Choice

Texas Fuego Chili