• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
Sign in to follow this  
iselafina

Newbie looking for lawyers.

ronofboston    0

Gayle

Thank you for your continued support. It does mean a lot to us. We are mixed and between if that makes any sense. A friend recently returned from a seminar in Panama and told us of a new program being offered for residency. For a $3,000 bank deposit, refundable you can apply for what they call "Permanent Residency". No jumping through hoops of renewals and renewals and then filing for permanent residency. I have not yet verified this information, but if true it would explain the CR Government's new expeditious processing of NEW APPLICATIONS versus processing of us OLDER applications. We still love the Costa Rica experience but are really tiring of the BS associated with our filings. I am really disappointed with the representation ARCR has given (or not) given us in our pursuits of residency. That said, we will continue our Pura Vida experience for the time being. We do wish you and yours all the happiness this land offers.

Ron & Paula

tibas9    0

Gayle

For a $3,000 bank deposit, refundable you can apply for what they call "Permanent Residency". No jumping through hoops of renewals and renewals and then filing for permanent residency.

Ron & Paula

Sounds Good from a financial point-of-view, however, the big "problema" is that one would have to live in Panama.

Pura Vida

Edited by tibas9

javoigt    0

Here is info on a attorney who was recommended by couple of friends. I used her to change my residency from Restista to permanent. Applied in may 2014 and got my permanent residency in November. I found her efficient, reasonable prize, speaks English/Spanish. Her name is Patricia Benavides.

Good luck

Abdul

Bufete benavides chaverri

Licda: Patricia Benavides Ch.

Abogada y Notaria

LAWYER AND ATTORNEY AT LAW

Tels: 2261-7861 / 8390-4260

Fax: 2262-7771

Correo: patribench@gmail.com

Oficina: Heredia Centro - costa rica

I did not have the same experience with Patricia Benavides as salish sea and abdul. To be fair off the bat, she did accomplish our residency, but not in any kind of record time. (It took about a year, which seems pretty average given others' experiences.) In addition, she did not seem particularly knowledgeable about the process, often giving us incorrect information that delayed the process by a few months. She spent most of her time renegotiating our contract, changing payment dates (in her favor, of course), and worrying about why we hadn't paid her by the new due dates. When payment didn't come at the speed she wanted (often due to bank problems between US and CR banks or email disconnects), she become fairly nasty, threatening us several times with legal action. Worse, though, after my wife and I got our cedulas, she wouldn't give us our children's paperwork until after we paid her an additional $618 above our initial agreement. We ended up paying her just to be done with her. She's the first and only person to cheat us in Costa Rica. I don't know, maybe we just got unlucky and she needed extra money. Maybe everyone else has a great time with here, and maybe you'll have the same experience as salish and abdul. However, I've worked with several other reasonable and more helpful lawyers since working with Patricia, so I know there are enough good lawyers out there to not make working with her worth the risk. It's your money, though.

lucybelle    0

I know this is an old thread, but I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a lawyer in CR that doesn't lie or make up information. Maybe I've had bad experiences? My mom & stepfather now live in Ecuador and they got a lawyer to help with residency. My mom would call and say "the lawyer says residency will be done in a month!" I said "he's lying to you!" And sure enough, I was right. She's still waiting, and she keeps getting the "in one month" speech.

They can lie because there's nothing you can do about it. They basically hold your life in their hands and in the end you WILL pay them.

eleanorcr    0

Um, well, I get your point about the problems with lawyers, lucybelle, but perhaps your statement is a bit harsh? I have had dealings with a number of Costa Rican lawyers who are just honest, hard-working people.

Granted, the residency "business" is full of promises that never happen and for that, your warning is appropriate but to say that someone would be "hard pressed to find a lawyer in CR that doesn't lie or make up information" is definitely an exaggeration.

induna    0

Further, I really don't think any lawyer can actually do much of anything to speed up residency approval. Once the application is submitted to Migración it is in their hands and moves at their speed. Sure, if they follow up all of the time they might be able to get a jump on any problems and resolve them quickly, but I don't think that is an issue most of the time, and I don't get the impression that most lawyers are following up all the time. If someone is applying for Pensionado using a pension from SS to qualify and can speak Spanish, I don't see any need at all for a lawyer. It is a very straight forward process. And now that the Correos de Costa Rica is going to be accepting initial Residency applications and delivering the cédulas, you won't even have to go to Migración anymore (if everything goes smoothly anyway).

eleanorcr    0

And really, I can't for the life of me understand why someone needs a lawyer to go from pensionado to permanent. A letter, a payment and copies of various things, photos - how hard can it be? Especially when you have been a resident for a couple of years. The process is outlined in detail in various places.

tibas9    0

Back in the Year 2008 my Tica Wife's friend recommended a Lawyer that submitted my CR Residency Application around May 01, 2008 and I had my new Tico Residency Cedula in-hand on or about August 01, 2008.

Oh, this Lawyer is now in full Retirement.

Edited by tibas9

eleanorcr    0

As Induna pointed out -- the lawyer you have really has little or nothing to do with how fast your residency is approved. Unless, of course, the lawyer is the sister/brother/uncle/cousin of the Migracion minister. ;) In addition, if you are applying for residency by marriage to a Costa Rica, it may go faster.

It really has to do with the workload at Migracion and how complete your papers are. I don't have the exact dates but my residency was approved rather quickly (some months?) but when Costa Rica introduced an amnesty for the thousands and thousands of Nicaraguans here illegally, you can imagine what happened.

It's like airline check-in: Number of passengers on a flight and number of passengers with complicated scenarios vs number of agents at the counters. Each time it's different. I've stood in line for 2.5 hours and stood in line for 10 minutes to check in for a flight, at the same airport and the same airline.

tibas9    0

The past is just that ...history and doesn't help anyone, now.

Right-On; must be a zillion posts on this Forum that I have read of Disgruntled Forum Members quoting their "past" bad experiences with Tico Lawyers, CR Migracion, etc., etc. and continue to do so.

In a funny way "the past" does reinforce those that want to continue their Disgruntled-Ways-Of-Thinking into their everyday living in Ticoland and to boot a few have even ended their disgruntled remarks with a surprising "Pura Vida".

Edited by tibas9

eleanorcr    0

"...

In a funny way it does reinforce those that want to continue their Disgruntled-Ways-Of-Thinking in their everyday living in Ticoland and to boot a few have ended their disgruntled remarks with "Pura Vida"...."

So funny, tibas9. I think you really hit the nail on the head.

My Australian friend and I tease our Costa Rican friends a bit about "Tiempo Tico" and some driving habits -- but it's all in good fun. They, in turn, tease us about our "tiempo gringo" and always being so organized!

I guess if people truly believed in "pura vida" their happiness at being able to live in this wonderful country would overwhelm any real griping. And yet, there are always people who just like to gripe.

lucybelle    0

My residency has been pending since 2012. Has been "esperando firmas" for most of those years. Submitted and "followed through" with a lawyer. I think I have reason to be disgruntled.

eleanorcr    0

You can be disgruntled all you want! It just may not be the fault of your lawyer. Although... it could be. But that's no reason to think that all lawyers in Costa Rica are inept or crooked.

"...I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a lawyer in CR that doesn't lie or make up information..." your words.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this