• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership.   Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate forum.   Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum.   Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iselafina

Newbie looking for lawyers.

32 posts in this topic

Hello all.

I'm new to the forum. I'm looking to get random information about residency and laws about conducting an online business in CR. My husband is tico (grew up in FL) and I'm Mexican American from Denver/LA, both in our early 30s. We've been traveling in between CR and the states for the last 8 years and are finally looking to settle in CR permanently..yay!. I've heard since we're married, it'll be easy for me to get residency. I'm looking for a couple good lawyers in the San Jose area, preferably Escazu (but any will do really!). One that can help create a Sociedad Anonima and the other for immigration purposes. Any suggestions are appreciated!! Paz!!

Here is info on a attorney who was recommended by couple of friends. I used her to change my residency from Restista to permanent. Applied in may 2014 and got my permanent residency in November. I found her efficient, reasonable prize, speaks English/Spanish. Her name is Patricia Benavides.

Good luck

Abdul

Bufete benavides chaverri

Licda: Patricia Benavides Ch.

Abogada y Notaria

LAWYER AND ATTORNEY AT LAW

Tels: 2261-7861 / 8390-4260

Fax: 2262-7771

Correo: patribench@gmail.com

Oficina: Heredia Centro - costa rica

Edited by abdul

Mr. Legs

Not being Educated in the Legal Profession, and limited in reading Costa Rica Law (written in a foreign language) relevant to SLANDER and/or LIBEL , on the advice of Legal Counsel I refuse to answer that question on the grounds it may incriminate me for revealing the name of the ARCR attorney.

Pura Vida

Ron

Edited by ronofboston

I'd like to second the recommendation from abdul of Patricia Benavides.Once we began working with her, after all the foot-dragging on the part of our first attorney, she got things done! I have no doubt that we would STILL be waiting for our residency if we hadn't begun working with her.

Our attorney here in San Ramon summed it up nicely: "I don't handle residency applications because I'd have to go to migracion every day if I were going to do it properly." Patricia does that. Our first attorney did not. Damningly, when I complained about how long it was taking, he said rather airily, "Oh, I have LOTS of clients who have waited longer than you have." At that point, we contacted Patricia.

My recommendation is to find an attorney who is committed to either going to migracion several times a week, or has a staffer who does it. Anything less and the attorney is not competent to handle residency applications. Just my opinion, mind you, having done this both ways.

regards to all,

Gayle

I have never needed an atty in CR (apart from the one at ARCR when I first applied for my residency in 2006) but I have almost routinely heard positve comments about Lic. Benavides.

The comments and recommendation have come from a wide variety of sources. Most have mentioned that she was a 'get 'er done' kind of attorney.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Has anyone been successful in changing Lawyers and receiving their money back from said lawyer ?

$3,025.00 is a lot of money to leave on the table. We still have to pay for the Costa Rica Fees (Cedula-Air Ticket-etc.) about $1,000.00. I'd be interested in knowing if you walked away or received a refund for NON PREFORMANCE.

Ron

Has anyone been successful in changing Lawyers and receiving their money back from said lawyer ?

$3,025.00 is a lot of money to leave on the table. We still have to pay for the Costa Rica Fees (Cedula-Air Ticket-etc.) about $1,000.00. I'd be interested in knowing if you walked away or received a refund for NON PREFORMANCE.

Ron

Ron,

You might want to try just going to Migración in La Uruca yourself, or with a friend if you're unsure of your Spanish. It is your application for residency after all. If the papers have all been filled correctly, there really isn't anything left for your lawyer to do anyway except let you know you've received your resolution. You can make all the necessary deposits yourself once you receive your resolution -- the accounts and amounts are listed on the resolution document, get your fingerprints taken, and affiliate with the CAJA. You can then just call Migración for your final appointment where you provide the receipts for the deposits, show them your CAJA cards and receipt for the current month, and a receipt for your fingerprints. It all sounds much harder than it is. You can just go to Migración on any morning, go to the information windows and ask them what is going on. You may be able to clear up any issues yourself. If you are not near San José, you may also be able to do the same thing at your local Migración office. The locations are listed on Migración's website. After all this time, it might be worth a try.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0