Sign in to follow this  
versatile

Looking for something worthwhile to do

Did you know that Hummingbirds can live 10 years? Anyway,there is a serious lack of people banding Hummingbirds in Central America. Read this article if you have an interest.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hummingbirds-live-long-and-travel-far/

Tiny tags reveal secrets of hummingbird life

The perfecting of placing tiny numbered bands on their legs in the last decade has led researchers to discover hummingbirds can live longer than 10 years as opposed to the two or three once thought likely.

And astonishing migrations have been found, with a Rufous hummingbird caught in Florida one winter showing up the following summer more than 3,500 miles away in southeast Alaska. Some birds have even been discovered wintering in areas where temperatures drop below zero degrees.

"We're learning a lot about hummingbirds through banding we never would have learned otherwise," said Bruce Peterjohn, chief of the bird banding laboratory for the U.S. Geological Survey's Patuxent Wildlife Research Center in Laurel, Maryland.

They are beautiful and fascinating! I just bought a feeder to hang on my front porch. It's hard to imagine a band on their skinny little legs. Their legs are too skinny for walking or hopping. They can only take small steps side to side on a branch. In fact, how often do you see one sitting on a branch and not flying? I don't think I ever have.

They are beautiful and fascinating! I just bought a feeder to hang on my front porch. It's hard to imagine a band on their skinny little legs. Their legs are too skinny for walking or hopping. They can only take small steps side to side on a branch. In fact, how often do you see one sitting on a branch and not flying? I don't think I ever have.

I think it is amazing that they can go from o mph to 50 mph in 10ft.

The is a group from Hilton Head, Rubythroats, that come in every year to band hummers in our area, however they do not band any of those which are endemic to Costa Rica.

I have a friend who has done this in New Orleans for nearly 40 years. It takes many years in North America to be permitted to perform this task. We have participated... OK watched... some Rufous be banded in BC, Canada. Hummers often perch for 20-30 mins at a time.

The Ruby-throated hummers are now here in Guanacaste and will stay until mid March! At this time of year we have 5 species that frequantly visit the plants in our garden.

Photo of Ruby-throated hummer taken yesterday while nectaring at a Musa velutina (pink ornamental banana) outside my window, while at my computer.

iYR3Ey3.jpg

Adding a second photo of Cinnamon hummer taken this morning.

Vyvsjov.jpg

Edited by costaricafinca