• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
Jamieanne

Has anyone here installed and/or lived with a "natural" pool?

ciclista    0

There's a lot of water hyacinth growing in the repressa near Orosi. You can use a net or a pole with something on the end to grab some plants. To control it's spread in a small pond like a swimming pool will be easy. It has a plant cluster, and then it sends out a "runner" that's about a foot long, to start a new plant. If it's growing rapidly you can easily break off some of the plants every 2-3 weeks. Fish like to nibble on the roots that hang into the water, and the roots are a good place for fish eggs to land during spawning. If there is a reasonable amount of fish food being put into the water the plants will grow well from the waste products in the water. If the plants are in the sun they will produce a nice purple flower.

Edited by ciclista

Riverjop    0

Yes Eleanor I plan on "finding" as much natural plants as possible (as I have done in my current pond), but sometimes to get the really beautiful Lilly flowers you have to eather buy or find a source for them which I will be keeping my eyes open for them.

Just remembered that at CATIE just outside of Turriable where the have a very large pond filled with water lilies where one could possibly 'liberate' some or go to the vivero within their facility and purchase what you so desire, as unless the lilies were flowering you may not see what you want.

BTW, yesterday we noticed many water-hyancinth plants by the bridge just outside of Liberia on the way to the Liberia airport, where the 'Krokodilo' restaurent is located next to the river. Unfortunately my husband was loathe to go to the rivers edge... :P ...but I did manage to get a very small piece from someone who had some.

terik    0

I live in Palmares, Alajuela and am looking for a source for a pond test kit. Can someone tell me where I can buy one in the Central Valley? Thanks.

Teri

CMinCR    0

In Grecia there is a pool store in front of the "new" (San Jose & other long distance) bus station. 1.5 blocks west (toward Sarchi) from the park.

terik    0

Specifically, we're wanting to test a pond for ammonia and nitrite levels. Our landlord recently built a 30' x 16' pond with a waterfall, biofilter, and now gold fish. My husband is helping out with monitoring it since we live on the premises and he doesn't. It would be helpful if we could measure more than simple ph, especially since the owner would really like to expand the habitat to inlclude turtles and ducks.

We'll check in Grecia before we trek to Escazu, the only other lead we've received so far.

Thanks.

Epicatt2    0

I agree... Ducks would foul the water unless there is frequent turnover of the volume of the pool's water.

Without sufficient turnover of the pool's water, the increased fecal matter from the ducks will promote algal growth making the pool turn green.

And the owner may not have to 'bring ducks'. They may come on their own if they discover the pond.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

terik    0

That is our thought on the matter. There is plenty of cirxulation and a biofilter. Still it will be important to monitor the water chemistry closely.