Sign in to follow this  

Ramsey When I was put on LTD by my employer in 2010, I lost coverage provided by them. Cobra wanted over $1500 a month to continue coverage. We have gone without any insurance since that time. My doctor charged me $57 for a visit and I joined studies to get free drugs for my condition. I did not sign up for Obamacare since we have been in Costa Rica since Dec.2013. I go back and see my doctor and he still charges $57 for a visit and I get my drugs here for less than $100 a month.

Jeffery, you, like us and many others who have been dropped by company coverage, found that the COBRA plan was way too expensive. But without it, you end up in the gap of lapsed coverage.

As to the ACA, you do know that they offer several different levels of coverage, with the Gold or Platinum plans being the most expensive. But if your state has not declined the Federal subsidies, you would even get a break on those plans. I do not know if Texas is one of the states that decided, "for the good of its citizens" to do that. If they did, then they were being really foolish just to make a political point at YOUR expense.

You should take that into account in deciding where to live in the US.

Jeffery, you, like us and many others who have been dropped by company coverage, found that the COBRA plan was way too expensive. But without it, you end up in the gap of lapsed coverage.

As to the ACA, you do know that they offer several different levels of coverage, with the Gold or Platinum plans being the most expensive. But if your state has not declined the Federal subsidies, you would even get a break on those plans. I do not know if Texas is one of the states that decided, "for the good of its citizens" to do that. If they did, then they were being really foolish just to make a political point at YOUR expense.

You should take that into account in deciding where to live in the US.

The only coverage I could get that would accept my doctor and pay for my meds was Platinum. Way too expensive. Even with subsidy. If I can get residency here, or anywhere else if denied here, I will never move back to the USA full time.

And a fine good day to all

First and foremost, if I have offended any Canadians in my previous posts, I sincerely apologize. It was not intentional. I did clearly state in my opening remarks that " I am not a Canadian and thus my comments about Canada are speculative"

You ask where did I get my opinion/facts/information from ?

I retired in 2006 and had plenty of time on my hands when not shopping at HOME DEPOT. When the OBAMA CARE ACT became front and center for debate, I was a DUE DILIGENT observer. I wanted all available, factual information I could gather before making a educated decision. The first thing I found was, if the panel discussion include REPUBLICANS and/or DEMOCRATS it was going to be a LOT of NOISE and very little FACTS. What I did find were some very good and informative panel/round table discussions on NPR (National Public Radio), PBS (Public Broadcasting System), and yes, some RIGHT WING and LEFT WING talk shows. The only ones of value for me were if the panels consisted of Academics, Economists, Medical Professionals, and Legal Professionals (CONSTITUTIONAL). This is where it was reported by the Economists that it took Canada 20 years to recover financially. It is also the Economists who debated without final consensus whether OBAMA CARE would eventually BANKRUPT the United States.

It was a long standing issue during the debate whether you wanted a system like Canada with long waits for medical care. I did not start that debate !!!! One or both of the PARTYS did. As I said "I'm not a Canadian and therefore I have NO first hand knowledge. Also, the story of the National Politician dying due to delay care is not my story. It was told to us by ARCR (a Canadian founded company) personnel.

Mr. Legs, I have personally enjoyed your posts over several years and found them informative, humorous, and on point. I'm sure you will agree we can disagree.

With regard to Mr. Romney, I have stated my case. The Romney Care bill was written and passed by the Mass. Democratic House. It was a Republican Governor (Romney) who signed it into Law. Is he a Politician ? Of course, no argument. Would we be better off if he had been elected President? We will never know.

It is obvious you are a well read man. It is a shame our representatives (CONGRESS) are not as diligent. Madam Pelosi (former Speaker Of The House) "You've got to pass this BILL (OBAMA CARE) in order to READ it . SAY WHAT !!!!

With regard to your comments regarding the will of the people (paraphrased) and possible REPEAL, may I remind you of the Mid-Term Elections where the public's voice was heard loud and clear.

As I have stated numerous times, I am neither a REPUBLICAN nor DEMOCRAT. I am just a citizen who is sick of Washington's business as usual. As for me, any POITICIAN who has been in Washington for 10 years, has overstayed their public usefulness by 4 years. If you can't get it done, GET OUT OF THE WAY.

My last comment (second to last) is about the Medicare costs for the elderly in their final months. Once again you have used a half truth. Many seniors are DURG dependent. Not only does our government condone the practice of Pharmaceutical Companies charging U.S. seniors up to 10 times the rate that they charge Canadians, they even passed laws protecting this practice. This after these companies enjoy significant U.S. TAX EXEMPTIONS for Research & Development.

If you missed the 60 Minutes show of October 5, I would urge you to view it if available on computer. New Cancer drug available at twice the cost of what is being charged in Canada and Europe.

Finally, to those who have stated "it doesn't effect me, I'm in Costa Rica" or "I don't plan on returning", It is one regret I have, to have left such a mess that WE caused, for my kids and especially my grandkids. The state of U.S. Government should be a concern to all citizens.

Ron, harking back to the 1970s, it's been an established fact that about a quarter of one's lifetime medical expenses (in the U.S., that is), on average, are incurred during the last month of life. That is easily attributable to physciians' heroic attempts to prolong patients' lives and to patients' and families' reluctance to acknowledge the obvious. The costs associated with intensive hospital care, the absurd costs of cancer and other drugs which appear to have limited long-term benefits, etc all add to those costs.

What I still want to know is when and where President Obama said that "Patients should go home, take a pill, and go to sleep" or words to that effect which you attributed to him. Where did you get this?

Edited by David C. Murray

David, your not going to let it go are you.

If you must know, it was when he and I were out drinking at Memory Lane in Boston. He leaned over and whispered, Ron why don't you go home and take a Pill. Leave David alone in his retirement.

AND NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY

David, your not going to let it go are you.

If you must know, it was when he and I were out drinking at Memory Lane in Boston. He leaned over and whispered, Ron why don't you go home and take a Pill. Leave David alone in his retirement.

AND NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY

You're right, Ron, I'm not going to leave this alone.

So, did you go home and take your pill?

And did it help?

Is this the improved version??

If yes, what were you like before?

<set shudder = off>

With regard to the cost of the elderly in their final months, where it is implied YOU are costing us too much, I strongly argue, don't be blaming them when there is a way to dramatically reduce this cost.

The United States (thank you Senator Ted Kennedy-Massachusetts Democrat-Deceased) entered into a pact with the DEVIL (Pharmaceutical Companies) where it is now ILLEGAL for a government agency (excluding Veterans Administration) to participate and/or require Pricing on/or Volume discounting with the DEVIL. That's right, they can and do charge U.S. Citizens the highest rates in the world for the same prescriptions. The example given in previous post was charging U.S. Citizens 10 times the rate charged Canadians.

If the Veterans Administration can negotiate pricing, why not Medicare, Medicaid, all government programs. IT IS TIME TO REPEAL THIS ONE SIDED LAW and start seriously reducing the Medical costs.

JUST ONE MAN'S OPINION

With regard to the cost of the elderly in their final months, where it is implied YOU are costing us too much, I strongly argue, don't be blaming them when there is a way to dramatically reduce this cost.

The United States (thank you Senator Ted Kennedy-Massachusetts Democrat-Deceased) entered into a pact with the DEVIL (Pharmaceutical Companies) where it is now ILLEGAL for a government agency (excluding Veterans Administration) to participate and/or require Pricing on/or Volume discounting with the DEVIL. That's right, they can and do charge U.S. Citizens the highest rates in the world for the same prescriptions. The example given in previous post was charging U.S. Citizens 10 times the rate charged Canadians.

If the Veterans Administration can negotiate pricing, why not Medicare, Medicaid, all government programs. IT IS TIME TO REPEAL THIS ONE SIDED LAW and start seriously reducing the Medical costs.

JUST ONE MAN'S OPINION

Well Ron, at least on this one issue I would have to agree with you. Another example of the Washington politicians serving corporate America rather than the good of the people. Oh wait, I forgot, corporations are people too...

It may surprise some that Big Pharma is far and away the biggest spender of lobbying dollars in Washington, almost doubling the spending of Big Oil.

David, as a matter of fact, I did not get a chance to take the pill. My friend Barack said if you won't do drugs (at full price), how about a ONE-WAY ticket to Costa Rica. Well who am I to argue with the President.

NOW THATS THE end OF THE STORY

Friend Ron, once again you're off base a little.

First, it was the Bush Administration, with strong support from Congressional Republicans, who passed Medicare Part D (the prescription drug benefit). It was the Bush Administration and their supporters in Congress (maybe Senator Kennedy but hardly on his initiative alone) who included the "no price negotiation" provision in Medicare Part D.

It is not (absolutely NOT) ". . . ILLEGAL for a government agency . . to require Pricing . . or Volume discounting". In fact, every State's Medicaid program does exactly that. They, not the drug companies, set the reimbursement rates for the drugs on their formularies just as the VA does. Too, every federal government employee health plan (and most other governmentally-sponsored health insurance policies) control drug costs by setting maximum prices they will pay.

In fact, what most (maybe all) Medicaid plans require is that pharmacies charge the wholesale cost of the drug to the Medicaid program and then add a small fee to cover administrative costs and to permit a modest profit.

You and others concentrate one one or just a few of the weaknesses in ObamaCare but ignore its strengths and benefits. I would never suggest that the ObamaCare law is perfect. And I've said before that it's not the design I proposed to anyone who would listen. That aside, it's what we've got, and rather than advocating repealing it in its entirety, we should recognize the best of it and remedy its shortcomings. ObamaCare, like every other law Congress has ever passed, is subject to revision.

And while we're at it, what's your complaint with ObamaCare's prohibition of termination of coverage when people actually get sick? What is it you don't like about the mandate for coverage of pre-existing conditions? Tell us how awful it is that children can be covered by their parents' insurance up to age 26. Tell us how expanding Medicaid coverage to those who have never had medical care is such an awful thing. Why is it that reducing excessive payments to Medicare Advantage plans is so bad? Shall I go on . . ?

Edited by David C. Murray

David,

I have to run out and have not given your post the true consideration it deserves. I leave you with my Mother's ( a former Russian spy) words of wisdom "Son, don't ever engage a "DIEHARD PARTY MEMBER" in debate. It is fruitless.

With that, my best friend (next to Barack) I must go

Dana

Should I ever decide to do drugs, I'll be flying to Canada to fill my script.

But, you know, there are these guys that hang around the park, like, they can get you some good deals. Save the airfare.

;)

Edited by DanaJ