Sign in to follow this  
lucybelle

Two months back in the homeland

Thanx Tiffany.

Your post confirms it is wine, but I'd still not heard the term before now that I can recall.

Is it what some folks refer to as 'plonk', or low quality wine?

Cheers!

Paul

==

It's a particular wine from Trader Joe's, super cheap, but passable. The official name of the wine is Charles ... Somethingorother, thus the moniker. (I want to say Charles Schwab, but I know that's not right ...) Never thought I'd pine for Two Buck Chuck!

TJs "2 Buck Chuck" is really variable stuff. Sometimes, it's pretty decent, and other times, plonk, indeed. Friends were known to buy a bottle, take it out to the parking lot, sample a bit, and, if it was reasonable, go back in and buy a case. If not, well, they were only out $2. Some better than Clos; others about the same. Clos isn't bad. There's another boxed wine we've had here, though -- forget the name, but cheaper than Clos -- that's worse than any of the wines I recall from TJ.

Good/better wines can be found at TJ's for $6-$12, many from Chile. We have a Costco next to a TJ's, and we used to buy things at TJ's, but now we prefer the Costco "prepared food" options. And Costco has some outstanding wines available for $12-$25.

Edited by ciclista

I thought everyone knew Two Buck Chuck! It's Charles Shaw wine, Tiffany, pretty close ^_^ I've heard that $2 chuck buys up extra wine form other vineyards and bottles it for cheap (or something along those lines). So when you buy a bottle you could be getting a $30 or even $50 bottle of wine for $2. Or it could really be $2 wine! I'm a fan of cheap wines, just as long as I don't drink too much. (once drank two boxes of Clos... learned my lesson!!! ;) )

Lucybelle and All

After several months of in Country wine drinking I had my son ship me several "WINE AERATORS" , available in some U.S wine stores. Essentially it makes cheap wine taste less cheap. It takes the edge off.

There was an article today in the WA Post (I think) about researchers who'd tested people's perceptions about flavor and value of foods they'd ordered out. Maybe of interest (okay, limited interest) here is that researchers had something like 10 wine samples for people to taste, but there were only 3 different bottles. One sample from a $90 bottle was listed at coming from a $90 bottle, and from a $10 bottle. A sample from a $5 bottle was listed at $5 and at $45. In all cases, the unwitting testers said that the more expensive samples were better ...

(sound of cowbell yet again!)

regards,

Gayle

Loved your post, Gayle.

I recall a similar 'test' some years ago on a TV program. They queried diners at a restaurant about several 'brands' of bottled water. They made up different brand names to label the bottles with. Some of those names sounded quite elegant and posh. But then they filled all the bottles out back of the restaurant using a garden hose hooked to the outside faucet.

And in this instance, too, there were responses not surprisingly too different from what you reported above: The fancier sounding names for the bottled water were reported to taste better to the diners in the 'survey' than the plainer sounding names, despite it all being just tap water.

(sip sip sip)

Paul M.

==

Gayle - Paul

I am reminded of when we lived in San Francisco in the early 70s and dined occasionally at some of the better restaurants (Blue Boar-Grotto 9-Scomas-Ben Johnsons). Friday and Saturdays nights always required a two hour wait for a table and of course you waited at the bar. During a conversation with a Wine Stewart he noted that the patrons who had waited at the bar could not tell the difference between a $100 bottle or a $5 bottle of wine. After 2 or 3 Martinis or Scotches, their taste buds were dead .