Sign in to follow this  
lucybelle

Two months back in the homeland

It's been about two months since my esposo and I made the big move back up north(ish). I got a job almost immediately (there's not many people jumping to be teachers in NC!) and my esposo has some really good options right now. My esposo loves the USA and says he doesn't miss CR. :rolleyes: (he was always very cynical towards his country) I miss CR plenty, but am also really glad we're back in the USA.

Things I knew I would miss:

-the produce (availability and price)

-the weather (perfect every day)

-the mountains

-friends/family

-my easy-going job.

Things I didn't know I'd miss:

-the FLAVOR of produce- holy mess stuff here has no taste, not even apples, apples should taste good!

-the sun. I'm actually sort of loving being in fall for the first time in a long time, but man do I miss the sun. Even though it's up for longer (for now), I feel like it's always cloudy. In CR you get clear sunny days at least a few hours every day. I miss the sunny days. I also miss waking up with the sun, waking up at 5:45 while it's still dark BLOWS. I never had issues waking up at that same time in CR with the sun right in my face.

-speaking Spanish. I have very few opportunities to practice my Spanish and boy do I miss it. I get to speak some with my esposo, but in CR I spoke Spanish at least 50% of my day. Here I'm English all day, maybe a conversation with my esposo in Spanish if no one else is around.

Things I love in the USA:

-the giant, well paved, well marked roads

-the giant parking lots

-the FOOD, the variety, the quality, the food trucks, the beer, the availability (I've found all my needed CR ingredients at the nearby Latino store- including the famoso Salsa Lizano!)

-the diversity of the people, CR always felt very homogeneous to me. Even my esposo commented "this place is so diverse!"

-less harassment, I've been running a few times a week each week and today was the first day someone yelled/catcalled at me. In CR it would happen multiple times every time I ran alone, and it was always frustrating and made me very uncomfortable.

-security, I can run with my mp3 and not worry, not living behind "prison bars"

-dog friendly, I can take my dog to the bar with me!!!

So there's a few things I've been thinking about.

Hope all's well in CR! I miss it every day and hope we get a chance to visit within the next year. ^_^

**eta- Had to come back and add another LOVE in the USA- online shopping, Amazon, the mail, ordering something and it showing up two days later- AMAZING!!!!

Edited by lucybelle

Yay, so good to know things are going well for you guys. Your list seems right on target, I think it's exactly what I would miss about CR and love about the US, point for point. My sympathies on the sun and the dark wake up times. Ugh. I'm so much more of a morning person here in CR - getting up at 5:30 or 6 doesn't bother me at all, and I don't even have to hit snooze. Seattle ... that place was a cold, damp, dark cave of hell in the mornings. I was so miserable and pissy getting up for work every day.

So nice to hear about the dog-friendliness! Yay for Perlita! I so wish CR were more dog friendly. Congrats on your job, I hope you like it.

I enjoyed reading the revista of your return to NC, Lucy.

Not unlike Tiffany, I wasn't much surprised at the comments you made and about what in particular you missed from Cr and liked and disliked about NC.

I find it especially telling your coment about the lack of taste of food here in the US grocery stores. Apples, yes indeed, SHOULD taste good! (I've reently bought bags of apples here in Florida at my neighborhood Publix and out of two different varieties ('Red Delicious' and 'Macintosh') only about one out of three apples was noticeably tasty. The other were OK and on occaion one would be on the insipid side, flavorwise. And let's not even talk about the bananas here. Tico bananas blow 'right outta da wattah' flavorwise the awful bananas that we get here in Floriida which are only 2/3rds ripened so they'll survive the sea voyage here without damage.

But I'm glad to read that you're both happy to be here in the US and that you have already found a nice job.

Your descriptions of what you miss in CR only increase my desire to return to tiquicia as soon as i am able.

Thanx for the report!

Regards,

Paul M.

==

Alot can be said about living in perfect weather. Even though it rains fairly heavy a couple months a year in CR, you still always get those sunny mornings and the rain at least is pretty consistent and refreshing once you become accustomed to it. Oh ya and now that you are in the US Lucy, you can call your husband a "husband" instead of the silly "esposo" moniker many use on this english language forum. Happy travels...

Edited by proz06

English-language forum? Larn yew some English here or git on out? You know, I've steered clear of the recent explosion of trollism and troll bashing here, but as one of those silly people who has dared use the silly "esposo" moniker, I guess I'll throw my two cents in. Yeah, I know, sucked in. It happens. Put a notch up for me, Proz.

Some of us live in dual-language, dual-culture households. The esposo and I use both languages in our relationship, actually switching every week to ensure it. While we personally choose not to do the Spanglish thing in general, I do think there are certain words that are just better expressed or feel right in one language or the other. Jorge has always seemed to me to be my "esposo" ... I don't know why, but "husband" just seems odd thinking about Jorge. It's a personal thing, can't really explain it. Shouldn't have to. (Yet ... here I am. Yes, I do see the irony.) I don't think it's much different than referring to one's spouse by an affectionate or personal moniker, if you will. "My sweetheart" passes muster, but "mi querido" gets the red Proz-flag of disapproval? Would "my better half" be acceptable while "media naranja" violates your language-crossing sensibilities? (I actually don't go in for either of those, as I'm a whole person with or without him, but that's another rant.) Not really sure why a word out of its language home ties your calzoncillos in such a bunch, but I guess we all have our pet peeves.

When you live in both languages, some words just express things a bit differently in one language or the other. I mean, the difference between, say, "as$hole" and "carepicha", for example ... if you live in both languages, you can feel the difference that one expresses over the other. Same idea, pero con un matiz de diferencia. Oops, Spanish. Cyberflog me.

Paul, if my using inappropriate language -- be that Spanish or palabrotas, er, foul language -- has crossed the line, I apologize to you in advance, and will take my warning con gusto.

Edited by stewart.tb

Let's get back on the right road. Trolling is not acceptable on the Forums and we can see the unwarranted reactions it eventually can and does elicit.

Tranquilos, maes, tranquilos . . .

Paul M.

==

Lucybelle what's amazing is that you found Salsa Lizano locally. The last time I was back in the US I searched the Dallas area hi and lo in some large Latino stores with giant selections of salsas. But no Lizano. Even on the internet or eBay, I found you can only get it from Costa Rica.

There is a website called Costaricanstore.com. (Not the same as costaricastore.com) They sell many sizes of Salsa Lizano and many other sundry items. I think I've seen Salsa Lizano on amazon too. Can't cook beans without it!

I agree, some words or phrases just sound better in Spanish, or in English. My Tica wife has two friends here in the US who are Chicana and they regularly switch between English and Spanish for certain words or phrases during their conversations.

FWIW , mi esposa has always referred to me as 'mi marido', never esposo.(tal vez local differences?)

Have purchased salsa Lizano in the Detroit area many times, often for less than in CR. And there are some 'passable' recipes to be found online if you are so inclined and having withdrawal. Also available in Chicago.

I found Salsa Lizano in Seattle - not widely available, but it was at Pike Place Market. It was $14, and not even for the big bottle. I remember thinking I should set up a little business!

I've asked Jorge why there's esposo-esposa, but not marido-marida ...

When we were sailing south to FL, waiting for a weather window to cross to the Bahamas, we stopped in Titusville and Cocoa, FL, and found Lizano at a small store in a strip mall in one of those two communities. We were eating lunch and I spotted what appeared to be an interesting little spice store. The owner had vacationed in CR, but hadn't lived here. And I was a little taken aback by the cost, which was half the price of Tiffany's find at Pike Place. The bottle I found, though, was probably the smallest bottle they make, probably good for about two rounds of gallo pinto.

And as for the esposo thing, I have always referred to my spouse as my spouse, never my husband. For whatever reason, feminist that I am, I've never been Mrs (except to his mother, now deceased), but only Ms.

We've only been navigating this stuff for 42 years...

regards,

Gayle

ps: and the thing that I probably miss most here are the wonderful prepared foods one can get at Trader Joe's!

Edited by salish sea

Aww, I missed the troll!

Anyways, the Salsa Lizano here was cheaper than in CR. That was pretty funny to us.

Also- Trader Joe's story, we had $2 chuck in the house and my esposo pulled out the bottle. He says "is it okay if I open this wine?" I'm like "yeah" He's like "it's not fancy?" :lol::lol: And the explanation of $2 chuck began.

OK, Lucy, i'll bite . . . What is 'chuck'.

I sense maybe 'wine', perhaps not of the highest quality, but couldn't find anything like that as a definition for 'chuck' in any online dictionary.

So . . . is this part of a wine aficcionado's argot?

Paul M.

==