Sign in to follow this  
Tingos

Govt. will give Catholic church $800K tax free for 2015?

(tingos and induna: yeah, I saw that, too, but just thought that the derivation was pretty funny given the discussion. And I agree: Ojalá is beautiful)

saludos cordiales,

Gayle

SLIGHTLY OFF-TOPIC POST . . .

Hola Gayle,

I too found it somewhat amusing, maybe even a bit ironic to see the word used with this discussion. Glad you mentioned it.

Just FWIW, 'Ojalá' is not used only as a word by itself as illustrated above by Induna. It is also used in sentences, q.v.

Ojalá que puedas aprender como usar 'ojalá' con el modo sujunctivo. Hay dos tiempos de verbos que encomtramos usados

con 'ojalá': presente de subjunctivo y imperfecto de subjunctivo.

Aquí se provee explicación para cual tiempo se usa y cuando:

http://www.drlemon.com/Grammar/Subjunctive/ojala.html

Buena suerte . . .

Paul M.

==

This is a Catholic country and if you want a secular country move to the US or Russia or some other country that wants God completely out of everything.

I wish there was a completely secular country.

CR is not secular, and the US "is", but it often feels that CR is the more secular country just in day to day living in certain ways. No one here is protesting women having access to contraception via the national health care system, just as one example. What's on the books doesn't always reflect the day to day experience. Just an observation.

This is a Catholic country and if you want a secular country move to the US or Russia or some other country that wants God completely out of everything.

Then I would like to see all religions get money from the government; Baha’i, Islam, Candomble, Jainism, Buddhism, Evangelicals, Hinduism, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Judaism, Mormonism, Paganism, Rastafari, Santeria, Shinto, Sikhism, Unitarianism, Spiritualism, Zoroastrianism and Taoism. No discrimination, equality for all believers. Love it or leave it, mae.

CR is not secular, and the US "is", but it often feels that CR is the more secular country just in day to day living in certain ways. No one here is protesting women having access to contraception via the national health care system, just as one example. What's on the books doesn't always reflect the day to day experience. Just an observation.

I grew up (and am now back in) The Bible Belt. CR felt equally as religious as the USA. I was asked equally what church I attend, invited to church, straight up asked what religion I am, asked to pray in public places (school growing up), told "god bless you" or "if god wills it" etc in both CR and USA.

I have also noticed the health care issue and bring it up all the time here in the USA. Why is it the USA is so upset about providing birth control to women, when CR an official Catholic country it's not even a debate?

Edited by lucybelle

Solís' 100-day report leads to criminal investigation of 4 government agencies.

The president said that the country had lost $112 million to corruption during the last decade. Tico Times 9-17-14

The Catholic church refuses to pay the CAJA. The Costa Rican Social Security Fund (CCSS) and the Catholic Church have a legal dispute over the payment of social security contributions on wages of priests. The CAJA contends that since 2012, there is a worker-employer relationship between the priests and the Church. The decision is based on a report by the Directorate of Inspections of the CCSS. However, the Episcopal Conference of Costa Rica rejects that position and refuses to pay the obligations required by the CCSS as any employer. La Nacion 10-03-2014

In Costa Rica, the newest religion goes under the name “Nueva Iglesia Pastafari de Costa Rica” (New Pastafari Church of Costa Rica), founded by its religious, leader José Castro, who welcomes all who wish to learn about and share the faith with him and his group of followers, regardless of dogmas, races, sexual preferences and other labels. “For us it is a belief system that as a church, it is something you expect to be respected, taken seriously, but it is also a church that is partly facetious, that has all the merits and rights as any other, ” says Castro.

Pastafarians in Costa Rica meet every fifteen days, prepare and share spaghetting with meatballs. “It is similar to what is done in Catholic worship, we eat our God and there is a type of baptism, we chat and spend time in the company of people who think alike, it’s very nice,” said Castro. Q-CR.

In Costa Rica, the newest religion goes under the name “Nueva Iglesia Pastafari de Costa Rica” (New Pastafari Church of Costa Rica), founded by its religious, leader José Castro, who welcomes all who wish to learn about and share the faith with him and his group of followers, regardless of dogmas, races, sexual preferences and other labels. “For us it is a belief system that as a church, it is something you expect to be respected, taken seriously, but it is also a church that is partly facetious, that has all the merits and rights as any other, ” says Castro.

Pastafarians in Costa Rica meet every fifteen days, prepare and share spaghetting with meatballs. “It is similar to what is done in Catholic worship, we eat our God and there is a type of baptism, we chat and spend time in the company of people who think alike, it’s very nice,” said Castro. Q-CR.

Well, Tingos, you know there's only one way this can end up -- government subsidized pasta!! :D

Protesting university students asked the Legislature to cut funds for the Catholic Church and the Directorate of Intelligence and Security (DIS), instead of putting to work the scissors in the 2015 budget for education.

"Cut to the Church and close to the DIS, but do not affect my student grant!" Shouted the students during yesterday's march, which left the University of Costa Rica (UCR) and culminated outside the Congress.

The protest came as a rejection of the possibility that the amount allocated to the "U" public be lowered, so they said it would be better to decrease the money for these two institutions, which, coupled with better control of fiscal and corruption, evasion would help alleviate the budget deficit facing the country.

Between 2008 and so far in 2014, the Catholic Church has received ¢ 3,700 million as part of the legal benefits it has to be the official state religion. La Nacion 8/10/14