Sign in to follow this  
Tingos

Govt. will give Catholic church $800K tax free for 2015?

The govt. is planning to hand over $800,000 to the Catholic church and the funding comes from the Ministerio de Cultura and Ministerio de Educación. The Church can spend the funds as it sees fit, "no strings attached." The Catholic church probably has more wealth than Costa Rica. The Govt. plans to raise taxes because it can't pay its bills? It is time to reel in all government waste. Why does Costa Rica need a state religion anyway? These tax free gifts started in 1991 and it is time for them to stop, Costa Rica cannot afford it and I don't want to pay higher taxes to support corruption.

Tingos, If you are a CR Citizen use your power-of-the-vote to change the system to control government waste. If not, ????????????

Edited by tibas9

Well in the first vote, I chose Jose Maria Villalta but in the run-off election between Araya and Solis I voted for Solis. But who really governs Costa Rica? If you are going to live or retire in Costa Rica you should really know about the inner workings of the country and the influence exerted by the Church. Costa Rica elects new political leaders every 4 years. But will the winners be the real persons who run the country????????????

The answer is, IMO, no. Costa Rica is ruled by an oligarchy of the rich and powerful. You can take a glimpse at who really calls the shots here at: http://www.revistapaquidermo.com/archives/2908

Hmmm... Perhaps I should incorporate as an Iglesia in CR and then just wait for the money to come rolling in from the CR Govt. I could become an S.A. (but in this case it would be a Sociedad Angélica). Do you think they'd buy that?

CR is certainly taking enough of my moolah outta my wallet via fees and taxes –and CAJA– as it is. It'd sure be nice to have em gimme some back, don't you think?

¡Buda Pida!

Paul M.

==

You shouldn't move to another country and culture and expect them to bend to your way of thinking.

If you want to live someone truly secular move to East Germany.

Um, there is no longer an 'East Germany'. There was a reunification some years back.

There is still a dramatic difference between the Western and Eastern halves of Germany, politically, socially, and economically. It's fanciful to assume that just because there was a political reunification of the nation, that it did away with years of socioeconomic inundation under the iron curtain.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/sep/30/east-germany-angela-merkel

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2012/sep/22/atheism-east-germany-godless-place

Edited by jaf

Both the Catholic Church and the State of Costa Rica have publicly stated that Costa Rica should change from an 'estado confesional' to an 'estado laico' -- from a state with the Catholic church as the official religion to a secular state. The current government is strongly behind this. There appears to some minor resistance to the idea, but the major debate seems to be about what position religious organizations in general will have after the change. It will happen. However, since the privileged position of the Catholic Church is defined in the constitution, the constitution will need amending, which requires that a super-majority in two successive assembleas approve the amendment. I believe that the votes also have to separated by at least three years. I would be surprised if the current government did not pass an amendment during its term.

Tingos, you are so funny!

From spanishdict.com:

"Ojalá is a Spanish word with Arabic origins. Originally, it meant “Oh, Allah!" and may have been used in prayers.(....)"

secularly yours,

anonymous**

**or at least as anonymous as it's possible to be... (sound of cowbell)

Ojalá is one of the most beautiful words in any language. It is Spanish, and pronounced Oh-ha-LAH. It expresses a strong desire for something to come to pass. Ojalá I will get the job! Ojalá she will sell the house to us! Ojalá he will win the tournament! Modern Spaniards say it means “May it be so” or “I hope that” or “I wish that” something will happen.

"So maybe the current government will pass an amendment during its term".....SI DIOS QUIERE :D