Sign in to follow this  
SEATURTLEWOMAN

Moving Back to US Due To Health Care Expenses

Ron, you've missed the most salient points in your list of my shortcomings. Not only am I overweight, but I'm even older than I look.

Thank you, however, for an entirely new rant. I knew we could count on you.

And Jessica, I have no sense of humor. Sorry. (Ron, you should add that to the list.)

Edited by David C. Murray

Oh, oh, sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this beautiful day !!!!

David, you can always count on me, whether for a RANT or support. That's what friends are for.

Overweight- older than you look- no sense of hummer, my god, if we can find 2 more faults you may qualify for the "Americans with Disabilities Act".

Are we still on for dinner tonight ?

Ron

I neglected to mention, Ron, that I hate lamb and liver but love anchovies on my pizza. And if I don't change my socks every couple of weeks well, you know . . .

Now, that, coupled with #47, should be good for at least 1,500 hastily chosen and awkwardly assembled words. Rant on.

It's too bad the copious amounts of eloquent prose displayed here by David and Ron are seen by so few people. I think it would be very entertaining if these two could hold court in some gringo bar in Tamarindo, so that the rest of the world could know of their intelligent bantering and soapbox pronouncements. I would pay a cover charge to bear witness!

Oh, it's not for us, really. It's for all of those gringos-wanna-be-ticos in Tamarindo drinking Imperial while they wait for football to come on the big screen TV, or while they wait for the waves to get smaller so they can "surf". It could be a weekly engagement, say, Sundays from 9am-1pm, with a second show from 5-10pm. It'd be like the old days with Dan Aykroyd and Jane Curtin, except in shorts and flip-flops, and with lots of beer instead of cocaine.

BACK ON POINT

Obamacare? You decide!

I have a friend who owns a paint store (in California) he was told that he had to find new insurance coverage under the new Obamacare rules.

His old premium was around $700.00 a month with a $5000.00 deductible for he and his wife. Under the new "plan" his "affordable" care changed to around $900.00 a month with a $12,000.00 deductible! Affordable? What a joke!

BUT!

On the other hand I just talked to another friend (who lives in Idaho), she is a massage therapist and I'm sure she reports a fraction of her total earnings. She probably pans out as "destitute" but she's totally not! (Owns her own house, car, money in the bank and buried in the ground "she says"), anyway she told me her premiums are $30.00 a month! REALLY? I didn't get what her deductible was, probably $2.00!!

Edited by Riverjop

Second Thoughts

It's been a while since I have been updated by my esteemed colleague on this Forum, but last I heard there were approximately 7.2 million people enrolled in "ACA" (less than 2% of total population), far fewer than that touted at the time of passage. As we all know "Laws" can be adjusted-bent- and manipulated to fit "the needs of the people". With the evolving NEW direction of Amnesty for ILLEGAL ALIENS it looks like we may see a dramatic increase in enrolments by up to 20,000,000. I do wonder at what rate they will be charged. And why not, Costa Rica grants us (aliens) participation in their National Health System even though we are not citizens. Yes sir, our (my son's and grandchildren's) taxes at work.

By the way, what becomes of the LEGAL APPLICATION PEOPLE who have been standing in line?

Pura Vida

Ron

".... Oh, it's not for us, really. It's for all of those gringos-wanna-be-ticos in Tamarindo drinking Imperial while they wait for football to come on the big screen TV, or while they wait for the waves to get smaller so they can "surf". It could be a weekly engagement, say, Sundays from 9am-1pm, with a second show from 5-10pm. It'd be like the old days with Dan Aykroyd and Jane Curtin, except in shorts and flip-flops, and with lots of beer instead of cocaine...."

Thanks for this, ciclista. It makes me laugh out loud every time I read it.

Ron, you wrote, ". . . With the evolving NEW direction of Amnesty for ILLEGAL ALIENS it looks like we may see a dramatic increase in enrolments by up to 20,000,000. I do wonder at what rate they will be charged. And why not. . ."

Well, the "why not" is because the Affordable Care Act specifically prohibits the enrollment of illegal aliens. That's why not. So your son's and grandchildren's taxes at work are safe from those awful illegal aliens. That's illegal aliens, by the way, who contribute to the tax base and Social Security with no hope, ever, of benefitting from it, but your son and grandchildren will.

As always, it helps to know the facts before arriving at a conclusion, but we've been down that road before.

David

There you go again, always wanting to deal in FACTS and ruin a good RANT.

If the "ILLEGAL ALIENS" are granted Amnesty, and a path to Citizenship are they not legal residents .(ie: your residency in Costa Rica and access to CAJA) ? And if you are going to tax them, are they not entitled to representation. You may recall when you were a little boy the CALL of the Country was "Taxation without Representation -- NEVER" and you and your dad sent those British packing.

As for your comment "with no hope, ever, of benefiting from" I guess you haven't traveled through Massachusetts lately where it is reported that a very high % of the population is on welfare. Oh, did I mention this includes Barack's aunt (illegal alien) who resides (15 yrs.) in public housing (South Boston), receives food stamps, has full access to health care (inclusive of transportation to and from), and when interviewed by the media her comment was " I've been here so long, you owe me". I don't know about you but I would have preferred to see that housing go to a homeless vet. Now if you would like to discuss Barack's Uncle (also an illegal alien) who resides in Framingham, Ma. and was arrested for drunk driving a while back, he received a 6 month suspension of his drivers lic. (oh yes, illegals are entitled to drivers lic. in MA), but on a hardship plea he was allowed to drive between 6am and midnight. I think you've got my point, and I don't want to start RANTING.

I hope you have a magical day

Ron

Edited by ronofboston

Sorry. Ron's correct. I've just been reading about the fallout of Obama's executive action to halt deportation of illegal aliens. While it doesn't make them legal aliens it apparently paves the way for making them eligible for Obamacare, Medicaid, and the Social Security system...

Easy to confirm from reliable, major-network news sources online...

Ouch!

Edited by CMinCR

Indeed, Ron, when some of the eleven million estimated illegal aliens become citizens, they will be eligible for the benefits that any other native or naturalized citizens enjoy. Where you get a number of 20 million continues to elude me, but so does a lot of what you write.

In the meantime, those illegal aliens' employers do, in fact, withhold taxes and that should increase as some five million, not twenty, qualify to be excluded from deportation and obtain legal work permits. Until they become citizens, however, their interests are not represented in the halls of Congress or the state legislatures. Yup, taxation without representation. Those who work and who contribute to the Social Security Trust Fund that pays our pensions (yours and mine) but who are not eligible to receive Social Security benefits according to the law are (you guessed it) ineligible to receive those benefits. That means that they pay in but they cannot benefit. It's pretty straightforward concept.

​You know, you have repeatedly ranted in the past about the fact that Medicare Part D (but not ObamaCare) prohibits negotiation of drug prices and we are in total agreement that that provision of the law, which Republicans as well as Democrats in Congress supported and which the Bush the Lesser Administration both initiated and signed, is a public policy abomination. I was agin it then and I'm agin it now. In fact, I quit AARP over their support of the bill when it was in Congress.

The good news is that, irresponsible as drug pricing under Part D is, the program nevertheless does afford enrollees access to medications that they never had before. Frankly, I could never understand how Medicare could pay for your doctor's consultation which included his or her prescription of medications for whatever it is that ails you and then not pay for those meds. What sense does that make? If you can't get the meds your condition requires, why bother with the diagnosis? So there is a silver lining.

That said, if you want to rant against non-negotiated government spending (counted in tens of billions of dollars), rant about the no-bid contracts awarded to Hailburton (can you say, "Dick Cheny"), Bectel, BlackWater and who knows how many other contractors who have provided one service or another in the pursuit of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Who, other than the contractors, benefitted from all that? And at what cost in American lives, disability and money and at what cost in Iraqi and Afghani lives and disability.

Rant about that.

Sorry. Ron's correct. I've just been reading about the fallout of Obama's executive action to halt deportation of illegal aliens. While it doesn't make them legal aliens it apparently paves the way for making them eligible for Obamacare, Medicaid, and the Social Security system...

Easy to confirm from reliable, major-network news sources online...

Ouch!

Where have you read this, Colin?

And . . . assuming you're correct, wherein lies the injustice in someone who qualifies for a program to which s/he contributes benefitting from it? Too, "paving the way" isn't quite the same as ushering them in wholesale.

As a young child, my father taught me never to yell "Ouch!" until I was hurt.