Sign in to follow this  
SEATURTLEWOMAN

Moving Back to US Due To Health Care Expenses

I just want to point out that although David may, as he says, be an overweight, long in the tooth, anchovie-eating, liver hater, bygawd he's got fabulous gams.

That's very perceptive, Tiffany, for one with only one eye.

I think that most people reading this are "legal" aliens, or at least trying to be.

The problem with the US Government is that they seem to have forgot the meaning of one itty bitty word! Just one! "ILLEGAL"

Edited by Riverjop

As Riverjob has stated "Back on Track" Even I don't know what is affordable back in the U.S. anymore. This thread, and others like it have been eye opening. What with new deductibles, increased co-pays, $1800/mo. versus $40/mo. coverage cost, declining doctor participation, $12,000-$5,000-$1,000 deductible. The list keeps growing and I'm not sure where it will end.

I will address an issue and advice I have for those retuning to the States of which we have had some first hand knowledge. I urge DanaJ to please correct any miss-speak on my part where as she may have more recent info since the re-write of Medicare.

At age 65 you receive Medicare enrolment, but you must subscribe to Part B at this time or face a lifetime yearly penalty, unless you qualify under the exceptions rule. One of those exceptions is living outside of the United States. In order to qualify you must have been covered by acceptable insurance for the entire period and show proof of coverage (monthly CAJA receipts). Next, you Must apply within 30 days of retuning to the U.S. (30 days and only 30 days) This also applies to anyone who at one time had Part B but chose to drop it later (possibly when you obtained CAJA). The penalties are 10% of premium for every 12 calendar months of non enrolment. As I understand, it is a lifetime penalty. EXAMPLE: You are out of country (enrolment) for 7 years, when you return and apply for Part B you will be charged $175/mo. instead of the standard $105/mo. for life !!!!

An additional point of concern, Under the Massachusetts Law Governing Mass. Health, (Forerunner to ACA) when you placed your grandmother, mother, or husband into a Nursing Home, the State would place a Lien on any property held in that persons name, to recover all associated costs of care. Is this a possibility with ACA? Time will tell, but they do have to find a way to fund IT.

We chose to maintain our Part B for at least 3 yrs. ($7,560 - not cheap) after arriving in Costa Rica until we could feel comfortable. Should a emergency arise and we were not comfortable with the care here, we could always return to the states.

Pura Vida

Ron

Edited by ronofboston

... Yup, taxation without representation. Those who work and who contribute to the Social Security Trust Fund that pays our pensions (yours and mine) but who are not eligible to receive Social Security benefits according to the law are (you guessed it) ineligible to receive those benefits. That means that they pay in but they cannot benefit. It's pretty straightforward concept.

Hi David,

I haven't been following the back and forth discussion, but just happened across this one comment about Social Security. I knew that it was wrong because I have relatives on my Tica wife's side of the family that I know were all illegal during their working years in the U.S. They are now collecting Social Security.

So that got my curiosity up wondering how they do it. As it turns out according to the link (I haven't done any research on it, just typed in SS benefits for illegals) it's pretty easy as long as you've either saved some evidence of your working history since 2004 (such as a w2) or if you got your SSN before 2004 (which is the case with my relatives) then no problem and no records necessary other than the SSN or the ITIN which they all have.

http://seniorsleague.org/2012/how-undocumented-workers-are-becoming-entitled-to-social-security/

http://seniorsleague.org/2012/how-undocumented-workers-are-becoming-entitled-to-social-security/

just another great day in paradise

David, (Ref: Post #59 Above)

Where do you get your erroneous numbers from, only 11 million. Did your TRIBE once again hire ACCORN (Formally "Black Panthers of the late 60s - think Islamic Terrorist of their day) to count how many Illegal Aliens there are. They did a fine job the last time you hired them for voter enrolment, especially when they enrolled the same woman for 8 different address's in Chicago.

You state employers who hire illegal aliens do withhold taxes. Do you not know that it is Illegal for employers to hire Illegals. It is against the law to hire them without a green card and a Social Security card. Don't you think that after the 1st quarterly tax payment the government would notify the employer that the SS number is bogus and/or that person died 60 years ago.

Now I'm wondering, just where does your Tribe plan to place these 20,000,000 wonderful people in the WORK PLACE. I thought America was struggling with finding employment for it's own citizens.

Do you really think that after we clothe them, put a roof over their heads, feed them, provide health care, and provide free education for their offspring, that they will return to the fields to collect our food for us (the original intent of temporary Green Card employment).

I think it is time for your TRIBE to wake up and smell the coffee (preferably Costa Rican Coffee).

In closing, I need more time at the library to research what exactly the U.S. Government has done in the 5 year period (2005-2010), enact Part D, rewrite Medicare, and enact ACA . All of this for the sole benefit of it's citizens. Then maybe we can discuss the FACTS of U.S. Health Care.

I am not as afraid of POLITICANS as I am about my old neighbors and friends who consistently re-elect the same politicians and expect change.

Ron

Edited by ronofboston

Hi David,

I haven't been following the back and forth discussion, but just happened across this one comment about Social Security. I knew that it was wrong because I have relatives on my Tica wife's side of the family that I know were all illegal during their working years in the U.S. They are now collecting Social Security.

So that got my curiosity up wondering how they do it. As it turns out according to the link (I haven't done any research on it, just typed in SS benefits for illegals) it's pretty easy as long as you've either saved some evidence of your working history since 2004 (such as a w2) or if you got your SSN before 2004 (which is the case with my relatives) then no problem and no records necessary other than the SSN or the ITIN which they all have.

Okay, so what you're saying is that an illegal alien could, prior to 2004, request and be issued a U.S. Social Security number, right? And, with that, and the cooperation of an employer who did not check their legal status, they could obtain employment in the U.S. and pay the taxes legally owed. Then subsequently, they could apply for the Social Security benefits which their withholding had contributed to just as if they were legal U.S. citizens. I guess I'm not seeing any great harm in this. They paid in according to the law; now they benefit, again according to the law.

That "the government" generally was not diligent in identifying either illegal aliens with valid Social Security accounts or illegal aliens using either stolen SS numbers (someone else's) or invalid ones isn't news. That's been common knowledge for a long time. Truth be told, lots of native born America citizens have more than one SS number, too.

So we're in agreement that (1)the system has been less than totally diligent in rooting out illegal workers, and (2)those who contributed can and (in my personal opinion) should be able to benefit from the programs to which they've contributed.

I think it's also important to note that there is a very significant cadre of employers who have fought long and hard against the identification of aliens who are working illegally for the simple reason that employing them is very profitable. In fact, some local jurisdictions have passed ordinances prohibiting renting housing to illegal aliens and local employers have screamed bloody murder.

So there's more than one side to this story, and there are competing interests.

________

Aside to Ron: I am sincerely sorry if some illegal alien has taken your minimum wage (or less) dream job on the kill line in some midwest slaughterhouse or kept you from the fourteen-hour days landscaping to which you may have aspired. In all too many cases, life's a bitch.

Edited by David C. Murray

That "the government" generally was not diligent in identifying either illegal aliens with valid Social Security accounts or illegal aliens using either stolen SS numbers (someone else's) or invalid ones isn't news.

David,

That's not the point I was making. The point is that the status of the immigrant, being illegal, does not seem to have any bearing on whether or not one collects on the SS benefits. My relations who were all working in the states illegally are actual examples.

And I provided a link which explains it.

You made that point that illegals were paying into the system but were not receiving the benefits. That statement is not true.

Very well. I stand corrected.

I would add, however, that if those illegal aliens who worked and contributed to the system not benefit as provided by law, they have hardly benefitted disproportionately.

It would be interesting to know, your relatives aside, how many illegal aliens who contribute to the system do actually benefit from it. That is, how many work the required number of quarters. I don't know . . .

Very well. I stand corrected.

I would add, however, that if those illegal aliens who worked and contributed to the system not benefit as provided by law, they have hardly benefitted disproportionately.

It would be interesting to know, your relatives aside, how many illegal aliens who contribute to the system do actually benefit from it. That is, how many work the required number of quarters. I don't know . . .

David,

To answer your question:

My guess is that those individuals and their families (regardless of legal status of residency) who have reported earnings are collecting now, or will eventually collect if they work long enough.

I read that about three quarters of the illegal alien population have reported earnings. I suspect that most of those that don’t have an earnings record are the younger ones.

SSA uses reported earnings to determine eligibility rather than actual taxes paid. If one can prove that they worked, even after the fact, it is possible to establish eligibility.

And my guess, again, is that for the young and relatively recent arrivals, SS is not a primary issue on the mind of the “illegal worker.” Neither was it a primary issue for me when I was young; I just wanted to work. But, as the worker matures (whether legal or illegal) they tend to think more about Social Security and eligibility issues. As you get closer to being eligible for retirement you’re more likely to check your earnings history file with the SSA.

In either case, when you apply and if you have a big gap you can at that time submit proof of work (you don’t have to prove you paid taxes which would be much harder) to correct the gap in your file.

Just a point of clarification regarding illegal worker and illegal alien. One can be in the country legally and yet be an illegal worker.

As an example, my wife received her ITIN and then her SSN while waiting for her immigration interview, (but it is an SSN which does not authorize work) Although she didn't stick around for the interview. If she worked on the card even though she was in the U.S. legally at the time, that would have been illegal. However, even though the work would have been illegal, the SSA would not penalize her in any way. she could have then or can even now build up work credits with the SSA. Now days she has a tourist visa, and can enter and stay for months at a time but is not supposed to work. However if she did work, she would use her SSN to do it and thus acquire SS credits towards retirement.

Edited by Ticochico

newman - Post # 69

While researching other info I came across an area that may help you. If you google "hospital price list" there is a listing titled "Hospital Pricing no longer a secret" by the huffington post.com. dated May 8, 2013. In the second paragraph there is a link for "federal data base of national health care costs" click on and it takes you to CMS.gov.

Example given in Huff Post is $99,690 for procedure in N.J. hospital while 30 miles away in a N.Y.C. hospital the cost of same procedure is $7,044.

Good Luck & Pura Vida

Ron

Edited by ronofboston