Sign in to follow this  
jal

Real estate agents

I have been checking out the listings of what is available for sale in cr newspapers, agent listings, etc.

I have contacted 2 agents about some properties in different areas.

The responses were less that inviting. Now, I'm not is cr so that might have an influence on how they handle my request for more info.

I have even contacted a tico agent by using google translate.

I have concluded that everything is for sale and everything is negotiable.

Maybe agents have been through the info gathering phase too many times and gotten no rewards so they do not help gringos that are not in cr.

I will mention one area that I am researching - Tilaran - Lake Arenal area - for buying, building, or going into a small scale business.

Does anyone have any good reference for that area? (translator, agent, lawyer, accountant, local trible chiefs, big fish in small pond, "gov. contacts")

I assume that I can also receive private messages.

jal

Hi jal,

I'll be a broken record first and ask if you've been to CR and if you have, if you've spent a few months in your chosen area to see what life REALLY is like here (barking dogs, a neighbor with a noisy machine shop, music at night, etc).

Unless you want to move lock, stock, and barrel, arriving and renting for a time makes a lot of sense. But if you are moving all your worldly goods, it might be worthwhile for you to take a week and fly down here and do your research with "feet on the ground." That will be far less expensive than buying something that may look good but has plenty of issues that you won''t discover until later, maybe by talking to neighbors, etc.

What intelligence I can offer: 1, it's far easier to buy than it is to sell (and unless you can afford to lose your investment, don't do it unless you're prepared to wait possibly for years for your property to sell). 2, There's no MLS here, so not all agents will have the same properties available. 3, You're more likely to find something interesting by driving around and seeing what's available, then calling (or having a Tico friend call on your behalf). 4, Financing is not generally available. 5, Home inspections, ditto, though if you can find a good builder you trust, he can probably take care of that for you.

Sorry that I'm not more helpful, but your best bet really would be to spend a week here searching houses out.

Good luck!

Gayle

Thanks Gayle!

I have been following all of the wisdom that you have mentioned.

I've been there once, passing through. Daughter was there for 1 month. I will not be "buying" before renting.

I'm a retired construction "guy" and did inspections for years.

ps. You forgot to tell me about the no-seem, mosquitoes, dust everywhere from the country roads, green/black mold, termites, and the equivalent to "leaky condos". :wacko:

Also, have you got a neighbor that I can talk to?

ps. You forgot to tell me about the no-seem, mosquitoes, dust everywhere from the country roads, green/black mold, termites, and . . .

Jai,

Those problems are solved if you come during the rainy season: You will fiind that the no-see-ums all mostly drown; the mosquitoes, well they're always around so find an area of the country to live up near the mountains where there is less standing water for them to breed in ergo fewer mosquitoes; the dust all washes away and what doesn't turns to mud and the roads seem to smooth out cuz you can no longer see the potholes because the rainstorms fill them up so you don't-see-um! (Remember the pothole ['hueco'] is the national animal of Costa Rica.)

Mold, well you just have to keep after it tho sometimes an electric fan or a dehumidifier can help to control it. (This goes a long way towards understanding why ticos build their houses to maximize airflow thru them: It helps to lower the humidity inside and take advantage of the drier, breezy air movement during the generally sunny mornings.)

Just sayin', ya know . . . [Tongue-in-cheek, but pretty much true.]

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Er . . . ah . . . Paul, I'm not sure how a "humidifier" will help control mold and mildew but I am sure that a dehumidifier will do better. That said, ozone generators and combination ozonators/ionizers work well, too and they're much less expensive to operate than a dehumidifier (less maintenance, too).

Edited by David C. Murray

The points are valid about no MLS. We have a trusted real estate firm south of Arenal, but can help you get connected. IM me if you would like an intro, good luck....

Wait until you are very sure that both your chosen area and Costa Rica are for you, before you start a business, realizing that you cannot perform any physical work until a Permanent resident, obtain a work visa. or work online....which may be much harder up in that area as many areas don't offer land lines...and those that were stolen still hadn't been replaced when I was up there last... so cannot get decent speed on the internet.

Edited by costaricafinca

Re.: perform any physical work

Okay !!!!

Can someone tell me how an artist, who is doing creating his/her "art", which can be mass produced for the tourist market, do his/her work?

Edited by jal

Re.: perform any physical work

Okay !!!!

Can someone tell me how an artist, who is doing creating his/her "art", which can be mass produced for the tourist market, do his/her work?

Well, you could hire a qualified Costa Rican and direct him or her to " paint a tree over here and an oxcart over there . . .". That way, you would be directing the work but not performing any physical tasks yourself.

The problem with the realtors is that there are few exclusive rights to listing contracts, so anyone can go behind their back. For this reason they are leery about handing out information. Also many expats try to use them as tour guides. Expecting them to drive them all over the country and then do not buy. Also, they do not feel comfortable with you as a buyer if you do not have a bank account here. I would say find a reputable realtor in the area and sign a 6 month contract with them that's states they will get a commission if they find you a property in a limited time. (sellers pay the commission) or just drive around till you find what you want and approach a seller directly. But you will probably get shafted some on the price. Be sure to use a very good lawyer, or 2

A good place to research is craigslist Costa Rica. It is widely used here. You can get a corporation here and run a business through it but the cost and hassle may not be worth it.

Buy during the rainy season, prices are usually lower. private message me if you have more questions. and no, I am not looking for work, only people who love misery try to sell real estate here.

Er . . . ah . . . Paul, I'm not sure how a "humidifier" will help control mold and mildew but I am sure that a dehumidifier will do better.

Nothing mystic about that at all.... Do you suppose that it might've just been a late nite typo? Or I could blame my laptop's keyboard (which I tend to have typing trouble with and definitely dislike at certain times).

Anyhow it's finally fixed. Hopefully you are suitably de-miff-stified by the correction and by the 'dry' humor.

Cheers! (With tongue back in cheek!)

Paul M.

==

re. A good place to research is craigslist Costa Rica

Thanks

I got one that I will put on my list for when I go looking

I got it bookmark

jal

...You can get a corporation here and run a business through it but the cost and hassle may not be worth it...

You can "run a business" through a corporation but still cannot work in it...legally... without Permanent residency.

There are many who do, believing that the corporation somehow protects them. If caught, (or turned in by a competitor) they will be in the wrong not the corporation, even if they own it.

You can manage a business, in your own name or that of a corporation, but cannot do work that a Tico could do. So waiting tables, stocking shelves, painting (other than artist), showing houses for sale (other than their own), etc. is out.

For a good description (in English) http://costaricalaw.com/Working-in-Costa-Rica/can-i-legally-work-in-costa-rica.html

Edited by CMinCR

We had good luck with Craigslist for real estate. Checked every day for new listings, and particularly before the weekend. Mind you, some listings I found very overpriced, but if you scour often there seem to be some deals to be had. A friend of ours in CR speaks highly of a real estate company called

CRvistarealestate.com, saying it was the only one she would trust. They seem to have some reasonably properties for rent and sale. Best of luck