It was probably overlooked - I only brought it once & still have a lot of it (rubbing alcohol not being an item of big use in our home). I brought a huge bottle of hydrogen peroxide once, but didn't bring any more once I realized I could get it at the farmacia

Edited by ReevesTribe

Hydrogen peroxide, which is chemically unstable, also deteriorates into common water when exposed to air, so whenever the bottle is opened, the peroxide's concentration is diminished. Better to buy it in small quantities and open a fresh bottle only when it's needed.

I've read recently, too, that repeated application of hydrogen peroxide on a wound, while it will keep it clean, will actually retard healing. Better to apply it once when the wound is suffered and thereafter apply a petroleum jelly based triple antibiotic ointment.

Believe it or not, I use large quantities of hydrogen peroxide because it is great for getting blood stains out of clothing/bedding. My twins have von Willebrand's disease, a clotting disorder, & get frequent nosebleeds. Many times the nosebleeds occur at night when they are sleeping (dry sinuses)...they aren't usually bad enough that they wake up, but will have a little blood saturated into their pillows/pillow cases. The peroxide helps lift the blood right off!

Bet you didn't expect that answer!

:)

Jessica

Jessica,

I have found that hydrogen peroxide works great just the way you described above. Another thing that it will remove beautifully are chocolate stains from clothing/fabric.

When you pour a bit of peroxide onto a chocolate stain it will rinse it right out of the fabric seemingly as if it were water soluble! Well that is if you haven't left the stain to sit for hours on the fabric long enought for it to thoroughly dry out. If the stain has been allowed to mostly dry then the peroxide will still get most of it out but you'll have to use some 'stain stick' on the spot when you wash the item. Usually the rest of the stain will come out after being run through the washer. (Using some OxyClean powder -or an equivalent product found in CR- usually will be the most effective in the washer to finish removing the chocolate stain.)

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Tiffany, the blue stuff is what I bought! Take a look at the list of ingredients some time -- it's -- ugh, shall we say -- eye-opening?

LALALALALA.I.CAN'T.HEAR.YOU.LALALALALALALALA

Just a report that the 'homemade' relish turned out really good, so both potato salad and mango salsa, is once again, on the menu.

BTW, stewart.tb, did the 'food stuff' that your uncle sent you, ever arrive?

When are you wanting to return to U.S. for your next shopping trip. You said last time stayed 3 weeks. Don't mean to be nosy, but do you stay in hotels?

We are planning to be in CR 2 weeks in Sept and have renters for Jan & Feb 2015. Think that we will not sell our house for probably a year or until get pensionado. Husband going to Spanish institute in CR in January. we live in Pompano Beach Florida. Great for shopping. Live 1.7 miles to one of the most beautiful beaches around.

Our Jet Blue fare was only $300 for September. Spirit claims to be lower but by the time they charge out of the kazoo for your suitcases etc etc from what I heard won't be cheaper. But Jet Blue is great. Get a carry-on free for each of you and checked in suitcase under 50 lbs I think for each of you free.

If interested in a place to stay while in Florida that would be cheaper than a hotel - and if we are in CR at the time maybe can save in that way and then shop til you drop and enjoy our beautiful beach that they renovated a couple of years ago.

linlewhammond3@yahoo.com

We've always gone back to Michigan, imposed ourselves on family and friends, and borrowed Marcia's sister's car. We were there in May, so we won't be going back anytime soon. My original inquiry was just for planning for the future. Things in Michigan are changing.

I know this thread is old but we were in CR two weeks ago and bought this Aqua Oxigenada in, I think it was Maxi Pas right off the shelf (not in the Pharmacy)

Also years back we were in David, Panama and bought all kinds of kitchen things (silverware, dishes, a table&chairs) etc... For a family we were staying with in David. As I remember in downtown David there were many stores very similar to the U.S. With just about anything you would want, not sure about prices but at the time we thought things were pretty inexpensive. When we were riding a bus I remember seeing a large mall that looked like it had many different stores just like the US.

post-19509-0-40020200-1421241922_thumb.jpg

I know this thread is old but we were in CR two weeks ago and bought this Aqua Oxigenada in, I think it was Maxi Pas right off the shelf (not in the Pharmacy)

So, do you happen to recall what sorts of items that hydrogen peroxide was shelved along with in that store?

Just curious . . .

Paul M.

==

The supermarkets I use, it's shelved with all the other various oils (not cooking oils) and things like mineral oil, bergamot, etc. near a "miscellaneous" area that has candles, sandwich bags, cotton balls, Q-tips, etc. Another supermarket where I shop has it in a kind of separate area that has OTC medicines, cotton balls, etc. I think you just have to look for it!

As I recall it was right next to the rubbing alcohol just like it is in the US. We asked an employee if they had it in our not so great Spanish and he said no. But we kept looking and finally found it, I think the spray bottle threw us off until we picked it up and read the label.

Oh and I recall earlier we had seen it in another store but didn't reconise what it was.

The one I buy doesn't come in a spray bottle, but a small, white bottle (not clear).

Also - in some supermarkets, I have found rubbing alcohol in the barbecue section! Cheap way to light a fire.