CRF,

Not sure if the relish you are wanting is Hentz or what but there are any number of faux (or copy-cat) recipes for pickle relish online, such as the one at this link:

http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-pickle-relish-130781

It looks like all the ingredients in the above recipe are available in CR.

And if that doesn't tantalize your tastebuds, do a search for keywords 'heinz sweet pickle relish copycat recipe', with or without the word 'heinz' and there are a number of other faux recipes that come up. You may be able to use one of those recipes and be able to make your own relish at home avoiding any need for traipsing all the way to Chepe.

Of course all the above is if you are so inclined to make your own relish at home.

HTH

Paul M.

==

Thanks, Paul, I have been looking at recipes on line. I use very little processed food but that one is 'just right' for some particle recipes, especially my 'Mango salsa'...yum! Unfortunately just two more mangoes left on our tree :wub: and I can't believe I ate them all!

I had responded more to show 'newbies', that things easily available at 'home' may not be so easy to find here.

Edited by costaricafinca

CRF,

How well we who've been in CR for a long a while know how items come and go in the grocery stores. Granted it's lots easier now than it was ten to fifteen years ago to find many things that used to be next to impossible to find back then.

Still what we learned way back then was that there were items in CR which were equivalent to or very close to the items we were familiar with from back home -if we were willing to explore the grocery shelves a bit.

Even so even today you cannot count on certain items always being available -like your pickle relish- and while those certain thngs may show up periodically on CR grocery shelves, but just as likely they may disappear from those same shelves for who can guess how long! There's a sort of philosophy that has developed in CR whereby when folks find a certain sought after item has suddenly shown up in some store or other they will buy multiple units of that item before it disappears once more.

We've also seen it happen -which I'm sure CRF can attest to- that when some desired item shows up, the word quickly goes out by phone and/or internet to one's acquaintances within the expat community that that item was seen in such and such a grocery store. (Of course the person reporting the appearance fo the item has very likely already made their own haul of the item.)

Así es tiquicia . . .

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

crf and Dave,

Thank you both for the info. I'll look for alcohol multiuso and the H2O2 substitute. And may we not need remedies for sand flies! (Though I'll bet the same combination works for those nasty noseeums in the US, too)

regards,

Gayle

Gayle, you can get hydrogen peroxide here. It comes in that small white pharmacy type bottle and is called Agua Oxigenada (Peróxido de Hidrógeno). I also found arnica liquid in the same type of bottle.

The rubbing alcohol here has a very odd smell that I do not like at all, but I still use it. We buy the blue kind. What kind of horrifies me is that they sell the alcohol either for rubbing alcohol use or for starting fires and grilling! Same bottle, double use, what a bargain! I don't buy that kind, but the blue kind is probably sketchy as well.

Tiffany, the blue stuff is what I bought! Take a look at the list of ingredients some time -- it's -- ugh, shall we say -- eye-opening? Plain old rubbing alcohol, I'll probably bring back from Seattle. Seems stupid (what is it, maybe $1.39/bottle?) but I don't use bleach, so in addition to white vinegar, rubbing alcohol is good for sterilizing things. The agua oxigenida you and Dave recommended, I'll look for here. If it's regular hydrogen peroxide, I'm good, but if it has a bunch of added stuff, that, too, I'll get in Seattle. What can I say? We all have our little foibles.

regards to all!

Gayle

I think the hydrogen peroxide from the farmacia is just regular hydrogen peroxide. I cannot stand the smell of the rubbing alcohol, though, so I bring that from the US. I don't know what it is about the alcohol, but it literally makes my gag reflex kick in!

Jessica

Jessica & Gayle,

I'm wondering whether rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol is one of the items included on the prohibited list for airline transport.

It would seem that alcohol would be a 'no-no' item since it's a flammable liquid.

Or maybe it just got overlooked in your luggage.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

PS - I cannot locate the excluded list; maybe CRF still has a link to it . . .

==

The Aerocasillas website (http://www.aeropost.com/web/frontend/restringidos?lang=_eng&country=sjo) has a list of Restricted Shipments. First on that list is anything flammable and anything with alcohol listed as its first ingredient.

We don't use much alcohol, but what we've bought at the local farmacia seems not to have been adulterated with anything else except, perhaps, that it's not 100% pure. If that's the case, then I think the other ingredient is water, but I could be wrong.

Here is the link Ingredients listed in Alcohol multiuso is Alcohol etilico, aqua, ftalato de dietilo (como desnaturalizante) Translated electronically, as I have no idea what these words refer too: Ethyl Alcohol, water, diethyl phthalate.

Panama....I didn't even think of that. I have made several trips to David to buy things (tires for the car, Christmas shopping, etc)...that is a reasonable alternative.