Obviously, the first step would be to stop going to the beach. After that, check with your local pharmacist for a topical medication that will reduce the inflammation and counteract the allergic effect.

HI CRF,

I remember going to the pharmacy (dispensary) at Juan de Díos Hósp. in SJ when I had a small infected bite on my ankle years ago. The pharmacist gave me a small tube of back ointment (Ichthymol or similar) that he said everyone used in CR for that sort of thing. It was nasty looking stuff but it worked well, just as he had said it would.

So boiling this down to the essentials: I'd go talk to the pharmacist at the main farmacia in your area to see what they recommend using.

BTW, what have you tried using so far, that didn't work so that we don't recommend those same things?

HTH

Paul M.

==

Antiseptics not too helpful.

I have good luck with Alergel or 1% hydrocortisone ointment. Buy any pharmacy.

oral antihistamines help but I don't like the side effects.

Make a paste of baking soda & water to put on the bites.

Thanks Carol. I have also 'slathered' them with vaseline to try and 'smother them'...just like we do for treating the dogs for 'Botfly' :P

I often first wash them with soap & water then cleanse with either alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. Let all dry then the alergel or hydrocortisone cream/ointment. Tamarindo always seems to have lots sand fleas but never had a problem in Coco.

Edited by Carol Nickerson