Are you referring to the state of fatherhood in the U.S. or in Costa Rica?

Regardless, what is the metric that has led you to that conclusion? And how is it trending?

Just a general observation. There seems to be alot of single mothers in CR.

I've recently read that over half the children born in the U.S. are now born to single mothers. How does that compare (real numbers, please) to Costa Rica, and what does it tell us about the state of fatherhood here in Costa Rica?

Sort of ironic, considering the sad state of fatherhood in the country.

WOW! That is a negative statement. You probably notice "more" single mothers because they stay in their little community near their family who are very supportive of them. IN US they are more scattered about ,often in bigger communities,etc. I have to disagree with your statement.

WOW! That is a negative statement. You probably notice "more" single mothers because they stay in their little community near their family who are very supportive of them. IN US they are more scattered about ,often in bigger communities,etc. I have to disagree with your statement.

I think it is more of a cultural thing. I noticed alot of single mothers when I lived in Jamaica also.

Especially in light of the fact that Costa Rican women don't change their names when they marry, I just don't see how anyone can determine a woman's marital status without asking. And if you do, in fact, ask, have you sampled a large enough group to render a reliable conclusion, or are you reaching this conclusion based upon a few observations (known as " generalizing from the specific")?

Back to Father's Day, I see so many men carrying babies and small children on their shoulders, holding hands with their kids, etc. It is a cultural thing here and just makes me smile every time I see it. Sometimes when I manage to actually think fast enough, I'll say something, especially about how tall their kids are when they're riding on Daddy's shoulders.

(And with both parents, whether single or married, many people don't wear wedding rings when they are marrked, and some wear rings when they're not. How you can tell is beyond me!)

regards,

Gayle

(who often forgets to wear my own wedding ring and it's not on the traditional finger, in any case -- or a traditional gold ring, either. Tungsten with abalone, anyone?)

Edited by salish sea

"Noticed". does that mean you asked them? You know for a fact they are single?

Yes Carol, I went door to door in the ghetto doing a survey.

So, could you please cite the raw data for us? How many respondents? What were the percentages? And how did those data compare to the data you collected in the middle class neighborhoods?

Edited by David C. Murray