Sign in to follow this  
Epicatt2

Scathing critique of the average tico.

This is more what I would consider "scathing":

-corruption is inevitable and actually good in the government. The only people who don't like corruption are those who aren't profiting from it

-sports fanatics are ignorant people who can't think for themselves

-the government puts on two soccer tournaments a year to distract the general masses of the actual problems in the country. Ticos are so obsessed with soccer that they don't care what's happening in the country. Go to any place and you are bound to find people talking about soccer.

-ticos are satisfied with things that they shouldn't be satisfied with. For example, if I say I don't like my job ticos will say "gracias a dios" that I have a job. No way, if I don't like my job I should find something better. Not settle.

-ticos are too ignorant to handle money. They buy nice cell phones (or other flashy items- cars, jewelry, etc) to show off and then don't have money for food or rent.

-ticos are too religious to do anything for themselves. They wait for "dios" to fix problems, or if they have problems they say that "Dios" gave them the problems as a trial

-ticos are too ignorant to want anything better than what they have

Though, like I said before, the word "tico" could be replaced with any "average citizen" from any country.

Though, like I said before, the word "tico" could be replaced with any "average citizen" from any country.

Lucy,

FWIW, if you will refer back to my first post to this topic and read the final line of text (below the imbedded video) in the post, that is essentially what I said right off the bat, so we're not in disagreement, you and I, on that point.

Later,

Paul M.

==

I watched it all. When it first loaded, I told my spouse, no way am I going to watch this for 27 minutes, but I did. Didn't understand every word, but enough.

Ticos I know here, from university students to adults in their 50s, have talked about government corruption. One made the same point to me as is in the video: that for the past 30 years (his entire lifetime), it's been corrupt government after corrupt government. He said to me, anguished, "Where are the great politicians? Where is the greatness from years ago (the 1960s)? What happened to it?" And, finally, "Why?"

Like Lucybelle, I could talk about the US, which really isn't a whole lot different, except instead of corruption -- not on as great a scale as here, imo -- it's incredibly cynical politicians, playing to the worst in all of us instead of the best.

I am hopeful about Luis Guillermo Solis. All we can do is wait.

regards,

Gayle

I watched it and have to say I agree with a lot of it, for whatever that's worth with my perspective as a foreigner. I also agree with Lucybelle's earlier comment that some of these things could just as easily be said of my own country or other places in the world. I mean, the TV shows, as others have mentioned ... Honey BooBoo and whatever that Jersey Housewife thing is? The corruption, yes, definitely a problem here. The things said about the CAJA, the government, yes. The driving ... let's not even go there, but yes. I found it interesting that my esposo (tico) and a gringa friend who is also married to a tico and who is fluent in Spanish (much better than my Spanish), both said the part they really did not like was the end, where they had the text about why/how they hate the tico promedio. Both of them said in different ways that tying "hate" into it is divisive and doesn't promote change or coming together to resolve things. My friend said that part left a sour taste in her mouth. The esposo said yes, most of the things listed in the video are problems that CR has, and things that bother him personally. He also said that given the problems that other countries have, he'll take CR's problems, but that steps do need to be taken to address things, there's no denying that. He also said that he was surprised there was not a section on the effect of the CR media ... what they do and don't report, and how they report it, and what viewpoints do and don't get represented in the CR media. I didn't think the video was terribly inflammatory, as these are things that most ticos I know have talked about and recognized as serious issues. Regardless, they are not things that I personally would say, as an extranjera.

In any case, I learned a few new vocabulary words that I hadn't known before: buchón, sobornar, biombo, rajón, and a few others. Poco a poco.