Sign in to follow this  
Epicatt2

Scathing critique of the average tico.

When a friend who lives in CR sent me this YouTube video I thought it might be worth sharing with members here on the Forums.

Since frequent discussions of 'what's wrong with ticos' occur amongst the expat gringos, etc., this video shows what ticos themselves have to say about 'the average tico':

As my friend who sent it observed, it's a pretty scathing critique.

Generally I tend to agree with my friend, although I must add that not every tico is like this; there are exceptions.

Paul M.

==

Well I watched the first 11 minutes and I don't think this is anything specific to ticos. This is how it is in the USA as well. I bet the "most watched" show in the USA is certainly not C-SPAN, it's probably "House wives of..." The "average" person in most countries (though let me just stick talking about USA and CR because those are the ones I know best) USA and CR are dumb and ignorant. When I moved to CR lots of my friends thought it was an island. The mass people of any population are stupid. They believe anything they see on TV (hell that's why Fox News still exists, that's why Chavez had so much support).

I don't see it as a scathing critique of ticos, it's more an observation of the obtuseness of the general population. You want a scathing critique of ticos and their government? Talk to my esposo! ;)

I don't even have to watch the video to know that the internet is full of bullsh@t.

I saw something on Marcia's facebook recently.

If a person from 1950 was to travel in time to today, you could pull your phone from your pocket and tell them that with this little device you can access all of the information known to man. However, people use it to watch kittens and argue with people they never met.

T

Surely there are other cultures who have many of these same problems.

But I thought this video was particularly interesting because it is BY and ABOUT ticos. I think that with this video they are pretty well shining a spotlight on themselves.

Lucy, did your esposo watch this video, and if so what was his reaction. If he didn't watch it I wonder what his reaction to it -since it is a documentary BY ticos and ABOUT ticos- would be.

Interestingly enough I went to the video's YouTube site and read the replies by those who had watched the video, and most seemed to be ticos, and their replies were quite interesting.

Of course I'm not sure how many on the Forums have spansh skills advanced enough to understand fully what is being said in the video. (Mind you this is not intended as any sort of insult to any Forums member, just as an overall observation.)

Regards,

Paul M.

==

I bet the "most watched" show in the USA is certainly not C-SPAN, it's probably "House wives of..."

Primetime Total Viewers for the week ending May 25, 2014:

Rank Shows R=Repeat S=Special P=Premiere Net Viewers (Live +SD) (000) 1 Dancing with the Stars-05/19 ABC 15657 2 DANCING W/STARS SP-5/20-05/20 S ABC 15071 3 VOICE-05/19 NBC 11704 4 VOICE-TUE-05/20 NBC 11685 5 DWS: ROAD TO THE FINALS-05/20 S ABC 11637 6 American Idol-WEDNESDAY-05/21 FOX 10525 7 Modern Family-05/21 ABC 10452 8 SURVIVOR-05/21 CBS 9548 9 Big Bang Theory, THE-05/22 R CBS 9087 10 MIDDLE, THE-05/21 ABC 7848 11 VOICE 8P 5/20-05/20 SR NBC 7517 12 Blue Bloods-05/23 R CBS 7258 13 BACHELORETTE, THE-05/19 P ABC 7174 14 SURVIVOR REUNION-05/21 S CBS 7144 15 MIKE & MOLLY-05/19 CBS 7050 16 FOX NASCAR SPRINT CUP-05/25/2014 FOX 6956 17 MAYA RUDOLPH SHOW-05/19/2014 S NBC 6842 18 American Idol TUE SP-5/20 S FOX 6757 19 Law And Order:SVU-05/21 NBC 6388 20 CHICAGO PD-05/21 NBC 6274 21 Dateline CLASSIC-FRI-05/23 P NBC 6118 22 BONES-05/19 FOX 6037 23 60 Minutes-05/25 R CBS 6016 24 FOX SPRINT CUP WNNRS CRCL-05/25 FOX 6007 25 20/20-FRI-05/23 ABC 5999

-

Nielsen TV Ratings: ©2014 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved. All numbers are live viewing plus same day DVR viewing.

Paul,

The video is not BY and ABOUT ticos. Someone made it and posted it. Anyone can say anything on the internet. It doesn't make them a national spokesperson or expert.

I still haven't watched it.

T

Paul,

The video is not BY and ABOUT ticos. Someone made it and posted it. Anyone can say anything on the internet. It doesn't make them a national spokesperson or expert.

I still haven't watched it.

Mornin' Tom,

I am kust a bit curious to know... If you have not watched this video then how can you carte blanche pronounce that it were made by, or not made by ticos?

Secondly, if you have not watched t all it you can't really know whether it is or is not what it says it's cracked up to be. I did watch it and find that it is very well produced and professionally done.

Once you have watched it all the way through (if you do) then let me know if your opinion changes.

And lastly I cannot quite fathom why there is such resistance to this video and the insistence that it is some 'typical piece of unqualified slop' sort of video'.

I'm wonering whether there might be any other Forums members' opinions out there to add a little more perspective to this video.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

Lucy, did your esposo watch this video, and if so what was his reaction. If he didn't watch it I wonder what his reaction to it -since it is a documentary BY ticos and ABOUT ticos- would be.

No he didn't watch it because I said it wasn't worth his time. It's not nearly as controversial as I thought it would be, which is why I stopped watching it. It's quite bland, really. I can't believe someone described it as "scathing".

The person (a friend of mine) who shared the video with me, Lucy, is a long-time resident of Costa Rica -since 1972. I started visiting in 1976 and both he and I have watched the gradual changes in CR take place, with it going from a peaceful, friendly society to something less-so in many ways.

The video in question sums up those changes he and I have noticed happeneing over the intervening years, making the reportage all the more poigniant to us by the fact that is was produced by concerned Costa Ricans, many of the professional in their fields.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

My Tica wife and I have so far watched the first 8 minutes of the video. We found it honest and straightforward, and saw nothing that we disagree with, except that generalizing about every Tico isn't accurate-there are many exceptions, but is accurate in discussing the average Tico, as it could be in describing the average Gringo, Latino, or European, etc. I don't think I'd describe the video as a "scathing" review. Maybe more like unapologetic.

Edited by ciclista

Thanx Ciclista,

Your take is pretty much my take on the 'average' situation in tiquicia, too.

It think it is a good thing that those who produced the video have in the process presented some of the unpleasanter aspect of tico culture and mores.

I hope you will watch the rest of the video and comment on it when you've seen it all.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

One of our Tico nephews, when he sees or hears Ticos doing some of the dumber things, like double parking in a busy traffic lane, or dumping trash into a river, he says, "Stupid Costa Ricans." He's proud to be a Tico, but he also knows that some of the Tico ways are evidence of some dumb people around.

Thanx for that link, ciclista.

Looks like all the ticos posting replies there, and also on the YouTube page for the video, are de acuerdo with 'TicoPromedio'.

Paul M.

==

Si, Epicatt2. The response from Ticos doesn't surprise me, and I'm sure it doesn't surprise other people who know Ticolandia. Ticos do some dumb things, and have "simple", not-so-intelligent ways of thinking about some things, but they are also very willing to tease each other about these things and laugh at themselves without being mean or condescending. They can also argue about politics or soccer with great intensity, and then be laughing and hugging each other a minute later. I find this quality to be endearing.

I've lived most of my life in affluent parts of NorCal, where people have an abundance of material goods, decent government, good weather and scenery, plenty of money, etc.. Then I go to CR and see all kinds of problems in the country. But we are told that Ticos are supposedly "the happiest people" on earth/in Latin America, etc. Now, how can that be?