Sign in to follow this  
ronofboston

USA Visit- Which SIM Card-Where Purchase?

Last trip to US, purchased SIM Card at Wall Mart. Package had SIM Card and directions to call phone number for card activation. Informed they no longer honor that specific SIM Card. Returned for complete refund.

Can anyone recommend a specific SIM Card and where it can be purchased in the US. We are looking at 30 day use.

Thanks

Ron

Edited by ronofboston

I went into one of our larger local shopping malls to a T-Mobile store and bout a SIM chip there for my CR Nokia cellphone. Now depending upon where I am I just swtch between the Kölbi chip and the T-Mobile chip (... which BTW does not have coverage in CR as does the kölbi chip not have coverage in the US).

HTH

Paul M.

==

PS - With T-Mobile the more $$-worth of minutes that you purchase at one time the cheaper each of those minutes works out to be. -pm

==

We're in the States right now. For the second time, we've opted for an AT&T prepaid SIM. When I compared things a couple of years ago, this seemed to be the simplest way to get broad coverage at a reasonable cost. And it'll be functional when you leave the store. You can add to the account online, too.

There are AT&T Stores on many streetcorners. If you Google "at&t store locations" and plug in the ZIP Code where you'll be, their nearby locations will be shown.

Edited by David C. Murray

Thanks Paul M & David (Legs) for the feed back.

Because you offered 2 different solutions, I know realize I need to research who provides good service in the area I will be traveling (Northern New England-ME-NH-VT).

Ron

From what I have read T-Mobile provides significantly wider service does than AT&T

So, Ron, when you do your research be sure to check which of the two options covers where in the US, especially if you are expecting to be traveling widely because T-Mobile will work in more areas of the country.

HTH

Paul M.

==

From what I have read T-Mobile provides significantly wider service does than AT&T

So, Ron, when you do your research be sure to check which of the two options covers where in the US, especially if you are expecting to be traveling widely because T-Mobile will work in more areas of the country.

HTH

Paul M.

==

Generally speaking ATT and Verizon have largest and best coverage in the US. But it does vary by major city so it's possible to get great coverage from TMO in some areas.

I have a $30/mo. pre-paid T-Mobile plan with unlimited data and texts and 100min call time ($.10/min beyond that). It was only available online or at WalMart, not in T-Mobile stores. I heard T-Mobile now has a pre-paid plan with unlimited calling and texts for $30/mo. I like the T-Mobile sim card with my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3 phone because I can make and receive calls to/from the US for free over wifi here in Costa Rica and still use the sim card as usual in the US. And T-Mobile has pretty wide coverage in the US with their high speed 4G network.

Edited by SteveJ