Forum Members

I had two(2) conversations this morning with my Blue Cross/Blue Shield(BCBS) overseas representative(s) who stated that my BCBS Federal Employee Plan will cover any necessary medical expenses in the country of Cuba and any other country on-this-earth. You need to pay up-front and then send the medical receipts to them for payment.

Rick

Edited by tibas9

Thanx for that Rick.

It is essentially the same thing I was told by my BC State of Florida offices when I called them to ask about coverage in Costa Rica.

One thing to be aware of though before opting for one medical facility or another is whether it is 'in-plan' or 'out-of-plan' which will significantly affect how much of the bill BC will pay.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

I'm confused - isn't it against the law for Americans to travel to Cuba? If so, (I may be misinformed), why would a BC/BS federal employee plan pay for services in Cuba? Explanation please??

Me too, I thought the US still had a trade/travel embargo on Cuba, and that you could be fined for going there.

And if this is so, don't you risk having your insurance deny all coverage after you have paid for it and submitted the bills? I would get anything in writing first.

I don't see how insurance can pay if one is involved in ilegal activity - remember the incident in Wisconsin a few yeas ago where a guy and his buddy went ice fishing in his new Lincoln Navigator? Thing is that they went fishing with, if I remember correctly, sticks of dynamite - they lit one and threw it, the dog they had with them retrieved the lit stick, and when they called the dog, he went under the Brand new car - of course the car was blown up and destroyed - of course when the insurance claim was made, it was denied! If you burn down your house does the insurance pay?? Not bloody likely!!

you should then have qualified your post to say that they would probably pay, possibly, ONLY IF, you were legally visiting Cuba!

Me too, I thought the US still had a trade/travel embargo on Cuba, and that you could be fined for going there.

And if this is so, don't you risk having your insurance deny all coverage after you have paid for it and submitted the bills? I would get anything in writing first.

You can learn more about this online, but my understanding is that travel to Cuba is not illegal for US Americans. There are however, significant restrictions on how and where you spend money in Cuba, and the "purpose of your visit". Friends of mine went to Cuba to compete in cycling, and they were legally (by US laws) allowed to do the trip and to return with various items, even cigars-if they were given to them as prizes or presents.

Thank you ciclista. That was what I was getting ready to add here.

There are many exceptions to the embargo on travel to Cuba. Exceptions do exist for those involved in scientific or medical endeavors, political envoys, religious emmisaries, ambassidorial visits, and others.

Mostly what the Cuban embargo seems to have been put in place for is to restrict as much a possible the inbound flow of US dollars to that country.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

I don't see how insurance can pay if one is involved in ilegal activity - remember the incident in Wisconsin a few yeas ago where a guy and his buddy went ice fishing in his new Lincoln Navigator? Thing is that they went fishing with, if I remember correctly, sticks of dynamite - they lit one and threw it, the dog they had with them retrieved the lit stick, and when they called the dog, he went under the Brand new car - of course the car was blown up and destroyed - of course when the insurance claim was made, it was denied! If you burn down your house does the insurance pay?? Not bloody likely!!

Actually Newman, sounds to me like justice was done -inadvertently done, but nonetheless done- in the case you cited. I have not researched it but strongly suspect that fishing with dynamite is illegal most places, so that alone would give the insurance company on out in any case in which improper use of an explosive was involved.

But this is a wonderful anecdote you've offered up here and it manages to simply burst with karma.

But now, to remain on-topic to the thread:

As to whether one's insurance provider would pay for any claim one made for something that happened while in Cuba, I suspect that would depend upon having discussed with that insured party's insurance provider the (ligitimate) reasons the insured had for traveling to Cuba and coming to know what they would or would not cover based upon the circumstances of the insured's (potential) claim.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

There are still restrictions on traveling to Cuba. I have been to the country about a dozen times and traveled with a US Treasury Department license. It was legal to bring back a small number of cigars about 10 years ago, but once again there is a restriction on that. I don't smoke cigars, but on two different trips I bought some for friends and they "disappeared" from my luggage. Americans that have family in Cuba have limited legal travel privileges, but most Americans cannot travel there legally. That does not mean that it does not happen.

A US Citizen can legally travel to Cuba. on his/her TICO Passport without getting advance permission from the good old USA.

Why? The US DOS has no jurisdiction over the issuance of TICO Passports.

Edited by tibas9

The US may not have jurisdiction over Tico Passports, but as long as one is still a US citizen, you are subject to the laws of the US! I am not a lawyer and am not giving legal advice!

The US Gov't does have jurisdiction over where a US Citizen goes and spends US Dollars, including trips to Cuba, regardless of the passport used. I know because I checked.

Without questioning the U.S.' Jurisdiction over its citizens' travel, I wonder what the consequences are if you're caught.

I recently went to Cuba without a special visa. I read up a lot about the consequences of being "caught" before I went. In the past 8 years or so NOT ONE US citizen has been prosecuted for going to Cuba "illegally". Even when they declare it on their immigration forms the immigration officers don't do anything.

I think technically you're supposed to be fined like $15,000.