Effective Today; the State of Florida is collecting a 7% sales tax on all orders placed with Amazon.com. that have a Florida address.

Hey, Rick, other States imposed taxes on Amazon transactions earlier. Had something shipped to my daughter in Amazon's home State of WA, and there was sales tax levied on the transaction. To my mind, it's only fair. Why should online sales be exempt?

YMMV...

regards,
Gayle

Yes, in addition to Costa Rica's 13% sales tax, those who ship via Aerocasillas' Miami address will be paying Florida's 7% sales tax. And then there's Costa Rica's Customs duty on almost everything.

Edited by David C. Murray

Yes, in addition to Costa Rica's 13% sales tax, those who ship via Aerocasillas' Miami address will be paying Florida's 7% sales tax. And then there's Costa Rica's Customs duty on almost everything.

Plus there are other charges that Aero levies too, so you end up paying abut 20% or more.

Last night before the 7% 'rake-in' that began today I went ahead last night and bought a bunch of stuff from Amazon.com that I had been planning on getting. I saved myself about $20 bucks or so in taxes.

Henceforth I will be buying most books from ABE Books and many CDs and DVDs from Amazon.co.uk, both of which do not (so far) collect any online sales tax.

I'm not at all n favor of this greedy grab in what is essentially a national sales tax for online purchases.

~EOR~

Paul M.

==

Ah, but Paul, for all those pols who pledged "no new taxes" and those taxpayers who don't want higher taxes but do want the services they don't want to pay for, the pols have got to look somewhere to find additional resources. [not saying any more!]

regards,

Gayle (in another life, a proud political hack and small-town elected official)

I buy lots of stuff online, mostly Amazon. Why should something bought online that is delivered to a state be taxed any different from something that is bought in a local store?

It's not a "national sales tax" because the online sales tax collected is based on each state's tax rate and the money goes to that state.

I buy lots of stuff online, mostly Amazon. Why should something bought online that is delivered to a state be taxed any different from something that is bought in a local store?

It's not a "national sales tax" because the online sales tax collected is based on each state's tax rate and the money goes to that state.

If Gayle & ciclista, I for instance, buy a book from Amazon.com that is shipped from a business located in, say Arizona or California, the taxes collected on my sale don't go to pay for whatever costs (local infrasturcture, for example) for the state in which the business selling me the item is located, but instead (in my case) those taxes are collected by Amazon for Florida.

I wouldn't be so annoyed by the whole thing if our elected officials used our taxes in the most optimum manner to benefit all of their particular taxpayers and did not WASTE so much of those tax revenues, and then have the gall to ask us for more, more, more. Feh!

Paul M.

==

Amazon pays income, property, and/or corporate taxes in the states where they have warehouses, and of course they also pay wages there too. And Amazon pays people to build their warehouses. I suspect that most states are anxious to have businesses like Amazon setting up shop and helping their state and local economy.

I hear ya on the wasteful spending... It's everywhere. Look at those windmills in CR-many millions of dollars of waste and corruption on display, but they still can't build a decent bridge or fix a pothole. I try to avert my eyes because I can't change it. Pura vida.

I think you're absolutely right, cyclista, about Amazon and other mail order companies paying local taxes, etc. Too, while the book that Paul might receive from an Amazon warehouse in Arizona may not have been sold in Florida, plenty of the stuff Amazon ships to Arizona comes from their distribution warehouses in Florida. My suspicion is that it pretty well balances out.

And speaking of buying Amazon books, why on earth are you doing that, Paul? Have you not heard of electronic books that are available for Kindle, iPad, Galaxy and Nook? (Well, maybe not so much that last one.) Books and music delivered electronically are the way to go. What I'm not sure about is whether a (say) Kindle book, bought from Amazon and delivered electronically to someone with (say) a Florida billing address is still subject to Florida's sales tax. Anybody?

Hi Legs,

Spouse and I buy a lot of digital stuff for our Kindles and I don't think we've been charged sales taxes. I downloaded a number of them in the past few days and there was no tax levied. I am a sucker for those bargain reads.

regards,

Gayle

My wife is constantly downloading free stuff from Amazon, tax-free, of course, and I've not seen tax on the "at cost" books I've bought either.

Question, does Florida tax printed matter? Some states do not.

Question, does Florida tax printed matter? Some states do not.

Yup, sorry.

But if you use ABEbooks.com those orders go thru and are billed in Canada and so aren't being taxed in Florida. At least no so far . . .

HTH

Paul M.

==