Hola Gentle Forumsers,

I've started this thread here since parts of the discussion may not be completely on-topic to CR.

I found I needed to renew my US Passport before I returned to CR this time round since CR requires a minimum of 6 months of remaining validity on one's US Passport for CR Immigration to allow you into the country, and I do not believe that having current valid residency status overrides this requirement.

So... I sent my old passport off (as required) with my renewal application and with the required fee plus the 'hurry-up surcharge' becasue I was expecting to leave at the end of April. My new passport arrived yesterday (MON) 4/21 after having been mailed of to the US Dept of State - Passport Division on 4/12. So it took only two weeks for them to do the expedited renewal and send it bakc to me; thst's a pretty quick turnaround.

Now here's my concern (and FYI I will phone the Division tom'w)... This is my fourth pasppsort and each time previously when I received my new passoport the old one came back with the renewed one. Not this time. So I'm hoping that it is headed back to me under separate cover. (Fingers X-ed!)

But if it doesn't, I can see a couple potential problems arising in CR with of my businesses or accounts that may eventually want me to renovar mis datos, most likely my banks there.

So I guess my question resolves to: Has anyone here on the Forums had to renovar sus datos at your bank, etc., after renewing your passport, but without your old passport available to present as verification, for any reason? Did you have any difficulty in doing so and/or how was the problem resolved with only your new passport to present.

Well I am hoping that the Passport Division will have my old passport or that they have already sent it back to me but it just hasn't arrived yet. If it doesn't show up or they have destroyed it I do have photocopies of my old passport and am hoping that those might serve given the possibility that I may not get my old passport back.

I'll report back what I learned after calling the Passport Division tom'w.

¡Puros Pasaportse!

Paul M.

==

Hi Paul,

I just replaced my passport as well and my old passport came back separately albeit several days later (almost a week). You should be safe.

Merc

For whatever it's worth . . . We recently renewed our U.S. passports at the U.S. Embassy here in Costa Rica. It took about ten days or two weeks for the new ones to be available. When we went to pick them up, the Embassy clerk "stamped" the old ones ("punched" is more like it) so that they're obviously no longer valid but she then returned them to us with the new ones.

We had to make an appointment to make the application for the new passports but not to pick them up. We felt like the service was pretty good.

You know, Paul, the kids & I had to renew passports while in process for our permanent residency. We did show the old with the new when entering the country, but when it came time for the actual immigration appointments they just took the new passports & didn't care about seeing the old ones. I think having the new one, along with your cedula, would be enough to get your info updated. However, as merc posted above, your old passport with a hole punch looking thing through it should arrive within a few days.

Jessica

I just renewed my passport at the US Embassy in San Jose. Really pleasant & easy! I had an appointment for 9;30 am, but arrived there at about 9:15. They finished the 9:00 am appointments, then took me. I was done by 9:35! They didn't take my old passport at that time.

I got an email from them 7 days later that my new one was ready to pick up. (I didn't pay a rush fee, they were just that quick!) I didn't want to make the 4 hour drive back to pick it up, so I asked if I could have a friend pick it up for me. I just had to send my receipt for the $110 I paid for the new one, along with my old one and a note that my friend had permission to pick it up for me. They punched holes in my old one and sent the new one back with my friend. :)

Here's the follow-up to my question from this morning....

I phoned Passport Services and although it was a Monday morning early I actually got right through to a live agent almost immediately.

The agent took my info and looked my ipersonal nfo up with the new PP number and reported back to me that the old passport was being returned and had been sent (apparently by regular 1st class mail or Priority Mail) and ought to arrive in a few days to maybe a week.

She also advised after my question to that end that there has been no policy change ref returning an old passport after a new one is issued, so applicants do get their old ones back.

Just FYI y'all . . .

CHEERS1

Paul M.

==

FURTHER FOLLOW-UP:

Today my old passpost returned under separate cover.

Upon opening the envelope, my old passport was there and with an Insert saying that my new passport had been issued and had been sent under separate cover. (This insert is the converse of the one that came in the envelope with the NEW passport, two days earlier.)

The old passport has had its front cover hole-punched in two places along its lip and through the two lines of code on the inside of the cove which were what was scanned at the Immigration desk when entereing or exiting the US, etc..

While this is my fifth passport, it is the first one has contained the new (inserted in PPs starting about 10 years ago) scanning chip. Apparently I can also now apply for the quick entry options like 'Global Entry' or 'TSA Pre√' because my new Passport will finally alllow that.

HTH

Paul M.

==

But if you travel to CR once or twice a year is it really worth the cost for Global Entry. The airlines are now able to nominate some "trusted" travelers for TSA Pre Check. I think that the airlines (or at least some ticketing agents) are having trouble selecting customers for the program. Or maybe there is a shortage of good candidates. Most of those chosen appear to be elderly (or close to it) and not very experienced as travelers. They seem thoroughly confused about what is happening at security screening. Paul, as an experienced traveler I think that you should be a shoe-in for Pre Check. Maybe drop a few hints to the agent at check-in to get yourself in the Pre Check line and forget about Global Entry. If you have checked bags all Global Entry does it make the wait for your bags at baggage claim much linger. So you wait at baggage claim instead if at immigration.

I doubt that Spirit would nominate me for clearance as they are clearly a 'no-frills' carrier.

And Mark, I travel essentially 4 time per year: 2 times Northbound and 2 time Southbound!

I find all this the intrusion a significant enough annoyance that it is worthwhile to me to avoid as much of it as is possible, even if it means paying a surcharge to do so. I've spent my life toeing the line and being a good and honest citizen so that I truly resent all these airport clearance shenanigans as in many ways to be unnecessary.

And then to often be treated brusquely and/or plain rudely by certain security employees -against which I have no legal recourse- represents to me a huge contradiction in my so called 'land of the free'.

[ E O R ! ]

Paul M.

==

Paul - Global Entry is only going to work for you when you enter the US, so it would only be a twice a year thing but still might be worth minimizing your interaction with TSA.

Jessica

Edited by ReevesTribe

Paul - Global Entry is only going to work for you when you enter the US, so it would only be a twice a year thing but still might be worth minimizing your interaction with TSA.

Jessica, thanx for the clarification. I suspended my investigation of those two programs once I found out that with my old 'chipless' passport I wouldn't qualify.

Now with my new 'chip inclusive' passport it should be worth completing an investigation into the two programs.

And yes, Jessica, a twice-a-year interaction with the TSA is better than none!

Regards,

Paul M.

==

Even with Global Entry you have to interact with US CBP officials and with TSA Pre Check you still have to interact with TSA officials. Albeit to a lesser degree. There is no way to legally enter/depart the country otherwise.

Paul, Spirit Airlines is probably sending someone through the TSA Pre Check line. Why shouldn't it be you?

On my just-completed trip North I entered via DFW and was completely surprised by the new ATM-style kiosks. I never spoke with an Immigration person at all, and only the Customs person as I handed him the Customs form.

The new terminals (similar to ATMs) are called "Automated Passport Control" and prompt you to scan your passport, answer a few questions by touching the screen, then take your picture and print it to a slip of paper with your info. That's it. Then hand the slip to the Customs agent along with your Customs form as you exit baggage claim.

There were still booths with Immigration agents but these 30 new terminals were at one end in rows of three, handling (U.S. and Canadian passport) travelers as fast as they could touch the screens.

The line for the CBP booths was traditionally long. For these terminals it was only a few minutes. If interested, Google "Automated Passport Control"...