A couple of years ago, ARCR sent our monthly verification of CAJA enrollment to

David C. Murray

2444-xxxx (our phone number, that is)

Grecia

and it came right to our door.

Wow David,

I never heard of sucessful mail delivery that was based upon a telephone number before. That's great; I love it!

¡Solamente en tiquicia! (Well, probably 'only'.)

Paul M.

==

Truth be told, Paul, we think it was based solely on our name and "Grecia". There are few secrets in these parts.

Actually your explanation makes better sense but with a phone number Correos could've called to ask for directions, which could have been the reasoning by the sender for including the phone number in the address on the envelope.

As Judy Tenuta sez: "IT could happen!"

Paul M.

==

Well, what happened was that whoever at ARCR formatted either the database or the mailing label bolluxed the job. They printed our phone number instead of our descriptive address and we got the mail anyway.

The point is that the Correo staff know who we are and where we live regardless what's written on the envelope.

The point is that the Correo staff know who we are and where we live regardless what's written on the envelope.

That is one of the things about Costa Rica that has always appealed to me ever since I first started visiting back in 1976: People get to know you and they remember you.

We have largely lost that in the US bcause so many businesses have such a large turnover of employees that it's few and far between that someone is around long enough to get to know us here.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Correo people never seemed to learn where my PO box was in Pavas. They lost just about everything and blamed it on USPS. Even stuff that was insured and with a tracking number.

I'm pretty bitter when it comes to mail in general.

Correo people never seemed to learn where my PO box was in Pavas. They lost just about everything and blamed it on USPS. Even stuff that was insured and with a tracking number.

I'm pretty bitter when it comes to mail in general.

Hi Lucy,

With regard to the Correos in CR I have heard over the years both complaints and praise about them, and it seems to be related to which sucursal of the Correos it was. The Correos in certain towns were getting the complaints and conversely it was the Correos in other towns that were getting the praise.

And believe it or not, the Correos' service used to be generally a lot worse, as recently as, say, around a dozen or so years ago. Apparently though, at some point the powers-that-be went thru and purged the Correos of various not-so-competent and/or less-than-completely-honest employees and thereafter service improved quite a lot.

I've only been into the Alajuela Centro Correos on perhaps 4 or 5 occasions over three years' time and they already know me; maybe not my name yet or which PO Box I'm renting, but they do recognize me when they see me.

While it might not be entirely convenient for you, it maybe could solve your problem if you were to change Post Offices to one nearby. Just a thought but I have heard that other folks resolved their PO problems by doing that.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Gayle, soo true about the Seattle streets! Why in the world are there four 40th St. NWs? Oh, I'm sorry, because if you went up in an airplane and looked down at them, you could then see that they WOULD be one street, if you could imagine that the school's football field, that shopping plaza, and that little lake weren't dividing it into four completely separate streets. How are you supposed to know which one you need? Never did figure that out. Don't know how many hours I drove up and down and up and down wondering if I were crazy, looking for a particular place. Finally someone explained it to me, and I learned to just go look for "the other ones". They also love to have 40th St. NW, 40th Place NW, 40th Ave. NW, 40th Court NW, 40th Dr. NW, 40th Blvd NW, 40th Lane NW, etc. That's not even taking into account the NE/SW/E/S etc. versions. Each possibly divided up into different parts. I've lived a lot of places, but Seattle was kind of crazy in that regard. I guess if you combined Seattle's craziness with CR's landmark insanity, you might have a workable system?

Tiffany,

If you want confusing streets, why not go to Atlanta where they have Peachtree St., Peachtree Ave., Peachtree Way, Peachtree Blvd., Peachtree Trail, Peachtree Ramble, in fact just about Peachtree everything! In fact, as of 2013, Atlanta, had some 71 streets named Peachtree-something-or-other. Ay-yai-yai . . . !

There used to be for many years a satirical comedy troupe, based in Atlanta, called The Wits' End Players whose signature song was, "They're Tearing Up Peachtree Again". Too funny.

And now to bring this back toward Costa Rica . . .

I can apprecieate "They're Tearing Up Peachtree Again", especially since on the north side of Alajuela Centro parts of Calle Ancha going east from the La Corte and the street just south of it starting at the SW corner of Parque Palmares 50 meters east from my apartment building's front entrance and onward to points east about 5 blocks, then up to the Stadium, have been torn up since last November to put in an enhanced drainage conduit so that Alajuela Centro will no longer flood during the heavier tropical downpours. (Well, we'll find out if it has worked soon enough.)

If installing this new and larger drainage does work then there will be no more sitting in Jalapeõs Central during a downpour and watching the street in front of the restaurant turn into a flooding river and occsaionally seeing Noah in the Ark rush past!

¡Puras Inundaciones!

Paul M.

==

Make a visit to Arlington, VA, where we enjoy those lovely streets and roads that begin, then abruptly stop, making you turn left or right and then poof, they're seemingly gone. Another half mile down the road, the road picks up again out of nowhere. The joke (or maybe not so much) of those that live here is that it's impossible to make a straight line here to get from Point A to Point B, and that's not an exaggeration. A destination that is only one mile down the road might take you 15 minutes to get to, just because there's simply no straight shot there. Terribly irritating! Don't forget Glebe Rd., which turns into Glebe Road West, which turns into Old Glebe Road which then turns into Old Glebe Road West. Seriously? LOL

David - I grew up in a small town in Minnesota. Lived there until 8 years ago. My entire family had mail delivered to us at one time or another that simply had our name on it, with nothing else. Ahhh, the good old days. :)

Arlington must have changed a lot since I grew up there. Coming up from the Potomac, there were three sets of named streets. The first, all in alphabetical order, had a single syllable. The next had two syllables. We lived farther out first on N. Powhatan St., then on N. Jefferson, and finally on N. Ohio. Cross streets were mostly numbered. It was pretty east to find your way around.

Glebe Road may have signs with differing names, but at least it's continuous coming uphill from Chain Bridge (right) that crosses the Potomac. There were/are some diagonal streets but what the heck! Nuthin's perfect.

Nothin's perfect - got that right! Good thing we don't expect perfection :P We're on the other side of the tracks, David - on S. George Mason between Four Mile Run and Leesburg Pike. Maybe we got the short end of the stick here LOL. When we go to the grocery store, it takes us almost 15 minutes now to get where we could in about 3 minutes, as the crow flies. I suppose I've become a little bitter, as traffic here has become some of the worst in the US - the congestion in just the last several years is unreal, the construction of condos and apartment buildings is taking over every bit of spare space the area has. Several roads have either been diverted in other directions or simply removed. It's quite sad, actually.

My fave was downtown Sacramento. A,B,C,D etc. in one direction. Cross streets were 1,2,3,4,5 etc. If you can't find your way around there you shouldn't be driving!

Back to Seattle area, I have friends who live on the corner of (for example) 156th SE and SE 156th.

I asked for directions to something in Heredia and the guy told me to go straight (direct). I went 2 blocks and the road ended in a T. Left? Right? There was no directo! AARRGGH! (I hope I spelled that right.)