PamK

Can you really still find rentals under $500/month?

Nor would they usually include utilities...

Good point, CRF. I forgot to mention that earlier.

The accounts for water, power, and telephone are very likely going to be in someone else's name, though. One just pays them monthly and life goes on.

In my apartment building, the landlady has Internet and a router, so Internet service & cable is included in my rent at no extra charge. That may not be the case in other rental situations and so the renter there may have to apply for those services him- or herself.

HTH

Paul M.

==

Our apt. is completely unfurnished, but does include water, cable, and trash, if that's even a thing that has a monthly bill here. (I've just never heard anyone mention paying a sanitation services bill here.) We pay electricity and Internet.

Tiffany, the trash pickup (in our area) used to be supplied privately and we'd pay whenever they came by to collect. It is now charged by the Municipality and paid with your property tax, although you could pay it separately.

The Municipality thought they might be missing an income opportunity so they contracted with a company and keep the difference.

Things are changing here in Pozos de Santa Ana as our landlord has decided to install separate Water Meters for each apartment and also pass on the fee of the Santa Ana Muni Trash Collection.

As most of you CR Forum Members are aware that Water Shortage is a major problem throughout most of Ticoland and it appears it is not getting any better!

Edited by tibas9

Here in Grecia they spent the last year installing water meters in town... Previously every home/business in town paid the low basic rate regardless whether they bathed infrequently or filled swimming pools and left the garden hose running. Hopefully this will help bring attention to the actual consumption.

What is an inverter refrigerator??

It's a newish technology that can run the refrigerator's compressor at multiple 'speeds', instead of just on and off. This allows the compressor to run longer at lower levels, which is more efficient. Or so they say. All I can know is that our electric usage is really low -- less than 200kWh a month with an electric stove and dryer -- and the anual energy usage rating on the fridge was just over 300kWh, 50% or more less than similar sized units with the old style compressors.

Nor would they usually include utilities...

That's also true. So full disclosure of the monthly costs for our house:

Rent $300 (charged and paid in dollars)

Electricity 15-17 mil

TV Satellite only. Pick your poison. Can be anywhere from $30 to $90+.

Internet Kolbi prepago with a 3G router and the 'descarga' plan, 15 mil, but it kinda sucks. (My next challenge is to get ICE WIMAX service with no cédula. The service has been in the house before.)

Water, trash pickup, and yard service are included in the rent.

There are rentals that are significantly less in this area as well. However they will all be unfurnished, advertised by word-of-mouth, and with Spanish speaking only proprietors. So ,they can take some time to find and patience is a must. We found our house by following the advice frequently given on this board. We came down here and stayed in a B&B and then a short term rental for a couple of weeks. We put the word out and then drove around looking. We finally contacted a very nice guy who had a small sign on the side of the road and who ended up knowing everyone around here. He took about 10 days to find this place, which had just become available. One of our main desires was a nice view, which he delivered in spades. Initially all of our communication was by email in Spanish. None of the properties we saw or have heard of being available here are ever on the Internet.

Our experience pretty much supports what has been said on these forums many times with respect to finding a place to live. The only thing I want to emphasize is that, in the very rural areas in particular, the ability to speak some decent Spanish, as well as to read and write it -- email and texts are, obviously, increasingly important -- will save a lot of frustration and may be required. For those planning on moving here, take the time to learn Spanish. Of all the things I did to prepare for our move over six years, learning Spanish (I still have a lot to learn), was the most valuable and important. I can't imagine living here without it.

Edited by induna

We are in a 'not so rural' area as you are induna, but still in rural area :rolleyes: where hardly anyone speaks English and definitely not our neighbors. I think that many people moving to CR, really don't think that they need to speak Spanish, until they actually are living here and find themselves having to rely on someone to help them, and one doesn't always wish to share specific information. I know living closer to the Central Valley, many more Ticos do speak some English, but not all places where one is required to do business, is able to do so. No staff in either of our local banks can speak English, except for the occasional 'how are you'...which isn't a problem for us.

A few years ago we met a couple who had just moved from the US and who were so 'upset' that their couldn't make themselves understood in their new location, when they had incurred no problem at all during their first and only visit prior to moving, when they had vacationed at the Los Sueños resort... ;)... which is one of the the top resorts in Costa Rica

Edited by costaricafinca

Thanx very much, CRF, for posting this little narrative about the importance of having some degree of facility with spanish if you're someone who's planning to become a resident of Costa Rica.

This little alert needs to be repeated here every so often -actually prolly a bit more often than if does get posted.

Your post clarifies some of the usual difficulties enocountered by newbie expats who arrive to Costa Rica with no spanish at all.

¡Pura Vida!

Paul M.

==

Hey, Induna, unless things have changed with ICE (who knows?), we got our wimax service, along with several of our neighbors, maybe a year ago. We're still awaiting our cedulas. I think if you want non-wireless internet through ICE, THAT requires a cedula, but at least at the time we got ours, wimax didn't.

Good luck!

regards,

Gayle

Hey, Induna, unless things have changed with ICE (who knows?), we got our wimax service, along with several of our neighbors, maybe a year ago. We're still awaiting our cedulas. I think if you want non-wireless internet through ICE, THAT requires a cedula, but at least at the time we got ours, wimax didn't.

Good luck!

regards,

Gayle

Gayle,

That's encouraging. I think I'm going to give it a try on Monday. I plan to bring to bring my best smile and friendliest Spanish. I'll report back.