PamK

Can you really still find rentals under $500/month?

Whoever said that you can live on $1200/month near the coast in South Florida does not live there. Safety nets ? Perhaps the rescue mission or begging on the streets. Just my husband and I, and we only eat out rarely, home and vehicles paid for. We are not overweight. The price of food is LOCO. Cost of auto insurance nuts for two 2001 vehicles. A hole in the wall rental is about $600 a month. A microwave and a toilet and yucky for that price. We spend about $140 A WEEK for food, and we do not drink alcohol, smoke, or eat caviar or lobster. You are wrong in your calculations regarding Florida.

Would love to personally talk to the person starting this blog that is moving Jan 2015 if you live near us in Pompano Beach.

linlewhammond3@yahoo.com

My wife and I are currently renting an approx. 90 sq. meter, 3 (small) bedroom, 2 (small) bathroom house with an absolutely killer view in San Vito de Coto Brus for $300 a month. It's very quiet and private. And the electric bill is just about 15 mil. So it is possible to live quite cheaply and, for us at least, well. Of course we are about as far from the GAM as you can get, and the closest traffic light is about 35 kilometers away in Ciudad Neily. For us this is pretty much ideal.

San Vito de Coto Brus is right next to the Panamá border in the mountains on the west side of the Talamanca range. GAM stands for Gran Área Metropolitana, which is the heavily populated area surrounding, and including the central valley. It extends from Alajuela to Cartago, and some say all the way to Turrialba. Over half the country lives in the GAM. It is a term that is frequently used in the press, by government officials and agencies, and Ticos. Of course you can always just call it all 'Chepe', which is slang for San José, but, at least around here, I think can be translated as "that mess up north" :)

Regarding the cost of these lower priced rentals, in that I would hasten a guess that they are not furnished? Or at least have the minimum provided. Our rent is quite low and nothing is provided except a small kitchen sink and some nice drapes... :rolleyes:

No drapes or curtains in a Unfurnished Apartment Rental per my Landlord.

If you read Roger Petersen's LEGAL GUIDE TO COSTA RICA, in the chapter about rentals you will find 'unfurnished' defined as 'completely unfurnished', i.e., literally wthout anythng except the kitchen sink, a pila (usually, for the maid), and the several bathrooom fixtures (toilet, sink, & 'suicide' shower). Unfurnished also generally implies without drapes and even without lightbulbs! That was the way my apartment was when I first rented it.

And even unfurnished as it was, that allowed me to set it up it the way I wanted to, which I did slowly starting with the most needed stuff. Took me about three years to get it exactly the way I wanted it. You may feel that's a long time and well, maybe yes, but by not rushing it gave me time to eventually locate the items I wanted.

Best of all now if/when I ever decide to move, all that stuff in there is mine and comes along with me to the next apartment or house, so I'm essentially set to go. I cannot, of course, remove and take those things that are permanently affixed like the grab bars I put in (HEY! - Ceramic tile can be slippery when wet!), and the on-demand water heater installed for the kitchen sink.

¡Pura Alquilarse!

Paul M.

==

Regarding the cost of these lower priced rentals, in that I would hasten a guess that they are not furnished? Or at least have the minimum provided. Our rent is quite low and nothing is provided except a small kitchen sink and some nice drapes... :rolleyes:

It was unfurnished for sure. Furnished rentals are next to impossible to find around here, as I imagine they are in most rural areas. (Although our house did have three barstools, one small closet, and a really nice built-in closet in one of the bedrooms.) Since we had nothing more than a car and four suitcases, we did have several busy days buying the things we required. Luckily we are close to Golfito and were able to save quite a bit on the large appliances. Our landlord was also very accommodating and let us move the appliances and furniture in before the lease actually started. Another advantage of this is that we got to buy much more energy efficient appliances than we might otherwise have had. (I swear these new 'inverter' refrigerators use almost no power at all.)

In addition, finding the rental required speaking, and reading and writing, Spanish for sure. The two guys we had looking for us, and our landlord, are not English speakers at all. I think that is also to be expected in the more rural areas. The resident Gringos we knew at the time were so well established in their lives that they knew very little about the rental situation, although they were very helpful in other ways. Other than a couple of pretty hectic moments, during which I began to really appreciate and learn from the Tico way of tranquilidad, it has really been a lot of fun.

Pura vida.